Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2011, 02:09   #16
BHPian

Re: Rockford fosgate - how good are they!!

And I do not want to waste a lot of boot space for the Sub. Is a bass tube a good option? I do not want a thumping bass to bounce the car. I am in need of good deep bass with less boot space utilization.
Old 13th July 2011, 21:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I have put in RF P1692 6x9s in my Protege's rear deck. Its a sea change from the stock speakers, but the stock ones were 11 year old pioneers.
I am looking for a 6x9 for my camry's rear deck. I came across RF P 1693. I was quoted $100 installed. How much did you get yours for?

How good are these? It seems you have a gen old, so more or less it would be the same.

Do you find good bass? I read reviews and says mids and highs are good, but bass is not that good. Is it true?

Are you using an amp or driven through headunit?
Old 14th July 2011, 07:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I am looking for a 6x9 for my camry's rear deck. I came across RF P 1693. I was quoted $100 installed. How much did you get yours for?

How good are these? It seems you have a gen old, so more or less it would be the same.

Do you find good bass? I read reviews and says mids and highs are good, but bass is not that good. Is it true?

Are you using an amp or driven through headunit?
There is no RF P1693 in their site. Are you looking at R1693?

Rockford Fosgate® - Speakers

I got my P1692 from amazon for $60. Plus I had to buy 2 wire adapter harnesses for around $10. Did the installation myself.

As I am driving them from my HU, I keep the bass boost to +1 and the loudness setting to LOW. Pretty ok IMO - nothing earth shattering. But if it was something more than this I would have to go for dampening and fillers to stop the resultant rattling (mine is a very old and small car you see). Also - I do not like loud bass but like short punchy type bass.

Hope this helps.
Old 14th July 2011, 21:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is no RF P1693 in their site. Are you looking at R1693?

Rockford Fosgate® - Speakers

I got my P1692 from amazon for $60. Plus I had to buy 2 wire adapter harnesses for around $10. Did the installation myself.

As I am driving them from my HU, I keep the bass boost to +1 and the loudness setting to LOW. Pretty ok IMO - nothing earth shattering. But if it was something more than this I would have to go for dampening and fillers to stop the resultant rattling (mine is a very old and small car you see). Also - I do not like loud bass but like short punchy type bass.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, i think it was R1693. But it had Prime written on it.

My car doesn't rattle, so that is a good thing. Mine is a 12 year old car too. But i do want punchy bass. The current stock step up has a bit bloated bass. I am not too good with wiring and installation, so i would prefer it to be done outside by a pro. Don't wanna ruin the set up and then hunt for a pro.

I am in still two minds which one to go for. Hopefully will decide in couple of days.

Last edited by chevelle : 14th July 2011 at 21:10.
Old 14th July 2011, 21:22   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, i think it was R1693. But it had Prime written on it.

My car doesn't rattle, so that is a good thing. Mine is a 12 year old car too. But i do want punchy bass. The current stock step up has a bit bloated bass. I am not too good with wiring and installation, so i would prefer it to be done outside by a pro. Don't wanna ruin the set up and then hunt for a pro.

I am in still two minds which one to go for. Hopefully will decide in couple of days.

R1693 is in the Prime lineup. P1692 is in the Punch lineup.

Here - I put both of them in the comparison sheet:

Rockford Fosgate® - Compare*Speakers
Old 14th July 2011, 21:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
R1693 is in the Prime lineup. P1692 is in the Punch lineup.

Here - I put both of them in the comparison sheet:

Rockford Fosgate® - Compare*Speakers
i read on a car audio forum that 2-way speaker are better in producing bass than 3-way. Is that true?

From the specs, it looks like 1693 has lower frequency range than 1692. And has a twitter added, so that could be the reason for more mids and highs? Any pointers?

The bad thing for me is, since i have to get speakers from installer, i don't have much choice. I have to take what they offer.

Last edited by chevelle : 14th July 2011 at 22:13.
Old 15th July 2011, 02:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i read on a car audio forum that 2-way speaker are better in producing bass than 3-way. Is that true?

From the specs, it looks like 1693 has lower frequency range than 1692. And has a twitter added, so that could be the reason for more mids and highs? Any pointers?

The bad thing for me is, since i have to get speakers from installer, i don't have much choice. I have to take what they offer.
Do not have much idea on the 2-way vs 3 way more bass thing.
One theory can be that the 2 way speaker does not have to produce the extreme highs of a tweeter, so can drive the bass better - but this may be speculation from my end.
The punch can handle more power than the prime (75 vs 60 W RMS) - so should deliver cleaner high volumes when driven with amp - an uneducated guess!
Old 15th July 2011, 13:11   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
One theory can be that the 2 way speaker does not have to produce the extreme highs of a tweeter, so can drive the bass better - but this may be speculation from my end.
Most car 3 way coaxial speakers just 2 way speakers with 2 tweeters - one smaller than the other (say 20mm and 12mm). These tweeters are XOed at say 2K and 6K or even higher.

A true 3 way speaker would have say a 6-8" woofer, a 3-4" midrange and a 19-25mm tweeter.

The bass response of 2 similar Coaxial speakers using teh same woofer but one being 3 way uses 2 tweeters and the other uses 1 uses 1 tweeter will be in effect the same. What however does happen is that ear percives the 3 way speaker to have less bass since they have more HF energy.

Many many many years ago it was determined that for a 'balanced' sound the multiple of the lowest frequency produced and highest frequency produced should be 64,000 (in effect saying that a speaker with a response 32Hz-20kHz will sound as balanced as one with a 64Hz to 10kHz or 40Hz-16kHz). Speakers with a higher multiple would be percieved to be brighter and those with a lower multiple, dull. I dont know if this has any credibility though. Sam, B&T, Gurus, any idea (this notion was floated in the late 60s / early 70s and a lot has changed since then - I first read about this in 1972-3, Sam and B&T were just born ).
Old 8th August 2011, 11:29   #24
BHPian

From one of the accessories outlet in Chennai, I've got the following quotes. Somebody please tell me if the prices are fine or expensive? Also, any info or review about the listed speakers and amplifier are welcome

1. Speakers (Front): Rockford R1652-S 2-Way Component System - 5000
2. Speakers (Rear): Rockford R1653- 3-Way Full Range - 3000
3. Rockford R300-4 [Large Chassis] 2,3,4 Amplifier - 10300

These speakers would go with a JBL GT X555 HU. Any feedback on this setup? Moreover, how would the system be without the amplifier?
Old 26th August 2011, 09:31   #25
BHPian

you could consider kicker woofers.. i have used a VDS 12 125wrms enclosure for 3 years... it sounds as good as woofers 3 times the cost. infact some friends dont even believe its 125wrms. and its been beating for 3 nonstop years.. thats gotta count for something.

cheers
Old 26th August 2011, 11:57   #26
Senior - BHPian

Saw this last day Rockford Fosgate® - P152-S

The filters on built into the speakers? Heard its a good SPL compo. I should get an audition soon.
Old 9th July 2013, 13:00   #27
BHPian

How would you all compare Rockford Fosgate R1675-S with JBL (GTO-609C) as replacement of Fronts of Dzire when HU is stock Nippon? Some recommended me HAT (Hybrid Audio Technologies) Imagine series and German Maestro - Concept series but these are in a different class at least PRICE wise!!

RF and JBL seem to be in budget while HAT and German Maestro are in range of 12000 to 14000 for a pair;
Music genre I would mostly be listening to is likes of Clapton, Jethro Tull, Indian Ocean and classic rock (70s and 80s). Please suggest.
Old 12th May 2016, 18:44   #28

Dear All,
I have got a decent audio setup in my car. I have focal compos at the front ,PHD coax at the rear . My head unit is kenwood 6.5 touch screen. Recently i have procured a second hand rockford fosgate r300-4 amp from one of my friend. Could some one give me inputs on its performance and i really need to know if bridging the sub in this amp will give good bass or not ?

Also suggest me a good sub models which has tight punches.

Thanks
Ashwin
Old 31st May 2016, 09:58   #29
BHPian

Was out last week to check out 6.5 inch coaxial 2 way speakers other than regular sony/pio/ken, to replace the stock ones for my Ritz_Zxi.

Got Polk audio DB651 at the back doors(Marine certified, Rs. 5000/-) and Rockford fosgate (Punch line)P16 (Rs. 6300/-) for the front doors. The rest is stock, no padding or cable work.

Rockford fosgate - how good are they!!-pamancover.jpg
Rockford fosgate - how good are they!!-padbspec.gif

These speakers had a packing date of 2014, but unopened. The shop owner attributed to its cost of still in stock. owing ti it, nobody even tried for an audition.
P16 is prev gen model to P165, but is identical to P16 spec-wise.

Rockford fosgate - how good are they!!-rfgte_man_cover.jpg
Rockford fosgate - how good are they!!-rfgte_p16dia.jpg
Rockford fosgate - how good are they!!-rfgte_punch_spec.jpg

RFGte P16 excels in overall clarity, mid and crisp highs in all vol level, it definitely mumbles with the lows. Compared to rear PA DB651's forward signature, the RF P16 is like hearing from portable radio.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks