Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2007, 12:34   #1
BHPian

Alpine 9853 and other iPod compatible HUs

I am in the market now for a HU upgrade and I am on a very tight budget (aren't we all?).

Here is what I am looking for.

1. Full and Fast iPod integration.
2. Good SQ obviously :-).
3. TA preferred.
4. Front and Sub pre-out

The fronts and the sub is powered by a JBL GTO 4060.

From the forums I have noticed that Alpine 985x series and Pio 7950 seem to be recommended. 9853 also has TA which can be useful.

My query on iPod HU's is this: Will there be a difference in SQ between the Alpine and Pio ? From my understanding, they all use the Analog line out from the dock connector for the sound (that explains why they can play Apple Lossless). If that's the case, and assuming I am using the pre-outs (thereby bypassing the power amplification of the HU), should there be any difference in the SQ assuming there is no EQ applied to the sound?

The reason I am asking this is because I have just been burned by a bad HU. I could err on the side of caution and buy the Alpine itself but it is fairly costly compared to the Pio.

I need advice from the gurus as to what I should go for. I don't want to be burned again, but neither do I want to burn a hole in my Pocket.

If Alpine or any other suggestions that you could give me are good, then I could wait for a month or two before I get my HU. I am willing to spend at the most Rs. 15K for a good HU.

I listen to a variety of music. I prefer vocals with a touch of bass (never overpowering, but just to add authority) and mellow treble.

Thanks in advance.
Old 25th September 2007, 13:08   #2
BHPian

Hi...well, I don't know about Alpine HU availability in Chennai, but in Bangalore I haven't yet been able to find the new ('06-'07) Alpine HUs with direct, full speed iPod control at all!! Even if I did, I'm sure they would be at least 15k or above since the dealer would have to import it especially for you.

Therefore, my recommendation would be to go with the Pio 6950 and above series of HUs with IB bus and direct iPod control. This avoids the need for going for an external iPod controller which looks sorta tacky. You're also guaranteed availability and support in the South for Pio, less so with Alpine.

Also recommend you take a look at this thread's posts about the Pio IB HUs:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...tml#post439904
Old 25th September 2007, 13:35   #3
BHPian

Alpines are available in Bangalore, the newer ones with iPod control (just need a cable). They are available with B&W as well as in the grey market.
Old 8th October 2007, 13:29   #4
BHPian

Guys,

Any suggestions please? I am planning to go for a 9887 now, but will I notice any improvements in the SQ considering my mediocre ICE (Infinity components in the front, JBL sub and a JBL 4060 in the rear)?

Basically, if I am going to be using the iPod exclusively with the analog out (thereby bypassing 9887's BB DAC, its CD transport) and with an amp I am assuming there won't be any noticeable improvement in the SQ. If so, is TA worth 25K?

Are the older Alpine such as 9857/9853 (CDA series) still available? Does anyone know how much these would cost.

Last edited by d.kiran : 8th October 2007 at 13:31.
Old 8th October 2007, 15:03   #5
BANNED

9887 is a fantastic HU. It's worth every penny.

But keeping your rest of the setup in mind, you should also try out JVC HUs. Last I tried, they sounded good with JBLs.
Old 8th October 2007, 15:30   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.kiran View Post
my mediocre ICE (Infinity components in the front, JBL sub and a JBL 4060 in the rear)?.
May god bless all with such mediocrity!
Old 8th October 2007, 17:26   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
May god bless all with such mediocrity!
Oh No offence meant Sam. It is a perfectly fine system :-) (otherwise I would not have spent around 40K on it). I am just concerned that 9887 would be an overkill for my system considering its DAC and transport would not get used (and am not sure if the current system can benefit from the additional resolution).

I was planning to get it from U.S. along with a 160GB classic (my 4G 40GB is dying and the poor thing still lets me have fun with her). But apparently I can get only one of the two.

So now I have an attack of the sour grapes syndrome and I think that I don't need the 9887 anyway . I just want someone to validate my assumptions given above are correct or not.

If 9887 can really give me better SQ (compared to my current HU) and if someone can tell me why, it would help me understand and guide my purchase.

Last edited by d.kiran : 8th October 2007 at 17:28.
Old 8th October 2007, 17:29   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Why should I be offended? I was just amused that you were humble enough to call it mediocre. Many would think otherwise.

Yes, unofortunately, given the fact that you have a nice amplifier and nice components in the front, you would hear a difference. lol, sorry.
Old 8th October 2007, 17:56   #9
BHPian

:-). I did call some of the products of the company you represent mediocre. Most would be offended. Glad you are not one of them.

So you also believe I will notice some difference. Hydra said the same thing as well. I think I need to do something about my own cognitive dissonance.
Old 8th October 2007, 18:14   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
:-). I did call some of the products of the company you represent mediocre. Most would be offended. Glad you are not one of them.
I love audio. First. That is what I do here. Share that love for audio.

The companies I am fortunate to represent are some of the largest and highest selling brands in the world. I am fortunate enough to have a hugely busy job, enjoy it and yet spend some lovely time on this forum. The passion and fun that drives us all is infectious.

d.kiran, It would be your choice to call any brand mediocre, or even rubbish. It was your choice to buy it and with your own money.

If that doesn't earn you the right to say what you feel, I don't know what will. I don't give a flying rat's backside for what people think of ANY brand or ANY product. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Appreciation of sound is as subjective as appreciation of visual art.

I am here to make friends and to enjoy my music. And I will die doing just that. I have no time to take offense
Old 8th October 2007, 18:47   #11
BHPian

I have been using Pioneer 4900IB and ipod cable with JBL setup, now changed my HU to Alpine 9883 with ipod cable, I can feel the difference. I would say Alpine's sound quality is much better than Pioneer.
Old 8th October 2007, 18:52   #12
BHPian

Wow.. You do have a way with words.

I completely understand what you say and it does increase my respect of you (though both of us know you don't really care about that either).

I do wish there were more objective people like you.

And yes, I have come to love this forum. I am a newbie and most of my time is spent in reading what people like you, JB, Gunbir and others have said before. What comes through is how you guys go out of your way to explain everything. Knowing how a decision is arrived at is, sometimes, far more important than the decision itself :-).

All in all this is a fun place to be and I am glad to be here.
Old 9th October 2007, 09:11   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
... (though both of us know you don't really care about that either). ....
no respect does matter. it matters to me that you respect Sam and I guess it amtters to Sam too. BTW it is spelt A-R-E-T-H-A!

Last edited by navin : 9th October 2007 at 09:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks