Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2007, 23:25   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Yeah, that part sure meant that the tweeter is set to -3dB from the Xover.
ok i've had 7 drinks (atleast according to my wife) tonight and I think we got to take THIS to the next level.

A few posts ago on another thread we discussed (Clip asked the question) about attenuating the treble and I think now people are getting the idea that "treble a la TS20" is not accurate.

Next step:
attenuation is nice but really I find that MOST XOs use a rather high Q becuase the primary need for these XOs is to protect the tweeter. Since we here at TBHP have graduated beyond that (we now know that a small amp clipping destroys more tweeters than a big amp that does not) I think we should now consider changing the Qs of the XOs we sold. Ready?
Old 2nd October 2007, 20:27   #17
BHPian

How much did you pay for the 6950 HU ?
Old 2nd October 2007, 22:29   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I think we should now consider changing the Qs of the XOs we sold. Ready?
Yes, I'm ready Start teaching.
Old 2nd October 2007, 23:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think we should now consider changing the Qs of the XOs we sold. Ready?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post

Yes Navin Ji please start. I am with Sam Bhai for the Tuition
Old 3rd October 2007, 10:25   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
One of the best tools I have come across to understand crossover behavior is LspCad. I have the Pro version but the Lite version is available free. Google it.

LspCad is easier to use than Clio.

Once you get LspCad model a smaple 2nd order tweeter corssover. Satrt with say a 5uf cap and a 0.3mh inductor. as you increase the cap value you will start to see a peak in the HF roll off. This peak is becuase the crossover Q is to high and this peak is very audile both as a peak and as some phasey ringing or even lispyness (depending on the corssover frequency, program material, etc..).

This can be very irriatating esp. if the peak is in the 2-3k range (very common with typical 5/6" 2 way speakers).

The reason crossover designers use big caps is to protect the tweeter (notice that in the above mentioned crossover aas the peak starts to rise the roll off also becomes steeper).

However we here are smarter than the average Joe. We realise that we have now modded the corssover and the tweeter now does NOT have this added protection. One option is to compensate for this is to raise the XO freq a bit.

Now this can be done if the midrange is capable of producing 3kHz+ without audible breakup or frequency peaks. You will still have to sacrifice some of the off axis response (and hence might see a narrower a sweet spot due to the beaming from the midrange) but in a car this is less noticeable.

In the end the proof of the pudding is in the eating. TRy moving the crossover F3 to a higher point and reducing the steepness of the slope and see if you like the sound. If not the process is reversable (just replace the original components).

Remember the moment you open the crossover box the warranties are void. That is why this is recomended only for those who are careful in their experiments or you can do this with that pair of TS20 you had (and now dont like) and now one wanted to take them.
Old 3rd October 2007, 11:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
ok i've had 7 drinks (atleast according to my wife) tonight and I think we got to take THIS to the next level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
Quote:
One of the best tools I have come across to understand crossover behavior is LspCad. I have the Pro version but the Lite version is available free. Google it.

Remember the moment you open the crossover box the warranties are void. That is why this is recomended only for those who are careful in their experiments or you can do this with that pair of TS20 you had (and now dont like) and now one wanted to take them.
What is all this? I thought we were supposed to learn 'how to have more than 7 drinks and lose count'?!?!?
Old 3rd October 2007, 12:11   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I think you take SAM's posts too seriously!! aree yaar, its not "tuition", its tution. (tooo---sssss----nnnnn).
Old 3rd October 2007, 12:39   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
What is all this? I thought we were supposed to learn 'how to have more than 7 drinks and lose count'?!?!?
Fro help in that department you have to seek the advice of our resident party animal(s).
Old 4th October 2007, 19:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fro help in that department you have to seek the advice of our resident party animal(s).
Namely?

One would have thought that after 7, you would have lost count (and some more things) anyhow.
Old 5th October 2007, 09:50   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Namely?

One would have thought that after 7, you would have lost count (and some more things) anyhow.
Not me. I am too old for that tag. BTW it was my wife who was counting. Bugs the hell out of me when she counts my drinks and my calorie intake.
Old 5th October 2007, 12:40   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not me. I am too old for that tag. BTW it was my wife who was counting. Bugs the hell out of me when she counts my drinks and my calorie intake.
Good for you, Navin.

You're lucky that the count is allowed to reach 7. For me the curtain call is after the 1st, and curtains after the 2nd if she is around. Sigh! But, I must admit, in the tweeter-roll-off phase of life it is better to have someone seriously intent in keeping one alive despite our best efforts to the contrary.
Old 5th October 2007, 16:26   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
...it is better to have someone seriously intent in keeping one alive despite our best efforts to the contrary.
dont be fooled. they only do it so that they have somone to nag. :-)

baba, we forgot all about those crossover mods.

Last edited by navin : 5th October 2007 at 16:31.
Old 18th December 2007, 15:28   #28
BHPian

I currently have a Pioneer TS-A6991S 6x9" Coaxial speakers at the rear in my zip, planning a change to JBL GTO 937 6x9" Coaxial speakers.
A poineer HU
My query is whether the system has to be re-tuned to match the speakers or the same tune setup is enough???
Old 18th June 2008, 11:18   #29
BHPian

hello all

its been 8 months since i got my ice upgraded in my trusty old santro. No problems uptill now and i hope it stays tht way . Really like the way the pioneer just plays any mp3 discs without any trouble . any wayz i have installed a sub and a monoblock at the beginning of the year and had not put up the pics . blue raven did an awesome job tuning my car ,its like a small concert hall these days .

any wayz the pics and my 2 cent reviews are as follows

i listen to a lot of metal, bands like slayer,sepultura,opeth and also to classics like ac/dc,zeppelin,pink floyd and listen to some trance . what i like of this system is the way the drumrolls and the snares sound . it has tht punchy sound . the sub is in a sealed 1 cubic foot sealed box which is tuned to give a tight sound . the mono does get heated up a lot but i still havent had any episodes where it goes into protection mode yet . i have problems keeping the car free from the annoying rattling soo have done some sound dampening myself like i have taken out the door pad of the boot, stuck tape here and there to keep the annoying sound to my tolerable level though i dont get to notice it once i pump up the volume
night times my car looks the cool coz of the components as their cones light up blue! the amps also look damn cool . actually wanted to go for a brutus sub but couldnt afford it soo settled for a momo and am damn happy with it.

ok the only drawbacks that i could think off was that the tweeter wire are very delicate and flimsy . it snapped off and i had my heart in my mouth . but satya helped me repair it and it is good as new . the speaker grills of the atlas are very thin and flimsy soo wat i did was got a pair of efx grills and fixed them. this made the components cooler and brighter
Attached Thumbnails
ice for my santro-dsc_0032.jpg  

ice for my santro-dsc_0030.jpg  

ice for my santro-dsc_0029.jpg  

ice for my santro-dsc_0025.jpg  

ice for my santro-dsc_0026.jpg  

ice for my santro-dsc_0023.jpg  

Old 18th June 2008, 12:02   #30
Team-BHP Support

speedfreak, you have 3 amps? one of which is attached to the central column near the gear shift? how much power do these amps deliver? HiFonics amps are not shy- sweet mother of God, I think LBM has competition.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks