Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2007, 17:33   #1
BHPian

Bass Tube or Woofer Enclosure

Hey guys,

Im puttin a new system in my 2004 honda city......Im plannin to put A Pioneer 7950 HU and MTX Speakers Front n Rear.......now im confused between a JBL Bass Tube or a Rockford Fosgate single Punch Stage 2 woofer enclosure........can sum1 help me out as to which is better or if u got sumtin better than this....... Thnkx in advance
Old 6th October 2007, 17:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Funky,

Visit this link.

What is your budget ? Which amp will you use ?
Old 7th October 2007, 01:07   #3
BHPian

Hey Mugen,

My budget is no more than 30 grand..... I would prefer a sony explod or JBL 4 channel amp.....whichever is better......Also it would be helpful if u could guide me to a good reliable n not too expensive place to get a system fitted......I live in mumbai city.....

Mod's Note: Please get rid of this dotty style of posting immediately.
Old 7th October 2007, 22:36   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydevil View Post
Hey Mugen,

My budget is no more than 30 grand..... I would prefer a sony explod or JBL 4 channel amp.....whichever is better......Also it would be helpful if u could guide me to a good reliable n not too expensive place to get a system fitted......I live in mumbai city.....

Mod's Note: Please get rid of this dotty style of posting immediately.
Hi Funky,

JBL will be anytime a better option than sony explod when it comes to quality..... I would prefer to go for a JBL 60.4 version based on my personal experience.....
Old 8th October 2007, 10:54   #5
Team-BHP Support

30K for a system including the HU? The City is one car that demands that the front doors be damped atleast, do ask your installer to do that.

Damping: 5K
HU: 7K like a Pio 5950
Speakers: 8K like JBL CS series
Amp: 3.5K Sony 552 might be your best bet
Sub: 6.5K 12" JBL Bass tube
Old 8th October 2007, 12:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

@Funkydevil

u can also look at Blau GTA-2 amp which is very gud VFM and A.S.S. for Blaupunkt is gud in india and this amp is 3.7K with B&W

looks better than Sony
Old 8th October 2007, 21:23   #7
BHPian

Hey Navin,

Thnx for the info, btw i had a friend of mine who also had a budget of 30k n had this system fitted in his santro.

2-12inch earthquake woofers in enclosure
pio 5900 HU
pio 4ch amp
sony 4 ch amp
2 earthquake speakers rear
2 sony explode speakers, they were on the dash n really small
both amp's were used for the woofers only, no damping was used.
Now getting to the point, i wanted to ask you if earthquake woofers are good and if i can get them within my budget would it be worth it?? also i would not mind spending a little more on damping as i know its a really important part of the ICE.
Old 9th October 2007, 09:30   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
pio 5900 HU
pio 4ch amp
sony 4 ch amp
2 sony explode speakers,.
did you hear this system? my guess is that it would have been bass heavy. no and earthquake is not exactly a brand known for SQ. Not today atleast.
Old 9th October 2007, 10:22   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Navin,

Thnx for the info, btw i had a friend of mine who also had a budget of 30k n had this system fitted in his santro.

pio 5900 HU
pio 4ch amp
sony 4 ch amp
2 sony explode speakers, they were on the dash n really small
both amp's were used for the woofers only, no damping was used.
Now getting to the point, i wanted to ask you if earthquake woofers are good and if i can get them within my budget would it be worth it?? also i would not mind spending a little more on damping as i know its a really important part of the ICE.
amp used for woofers only.... well the guy must be getting lots and lots of "dhoom-dhoom"..

regarding the woofer it takes a few seconds to kick in when it get a signal from the amp.

moreover there are other brands in the market apart from earthquake these days which can create "earthquake" in the car................. lol
Old 27th December 2008, 15:08   #10

Box or Bass Tube??

Guys,

Whats better, a woofer fitted in a box or a Bass Tube.

The reason I ask this is that last month I got a pioneer woofer (in a box) fitted in my 18 month old esteem. To pump beats into that I have a Pioneer DEH-3090UB and a Sony 4 channel amp. For sound I have Sony 3 way Coaxial speakers.

A couple of days ago while driving back from office I felt something was wrong with the base, it sounded somewhat low. So after reaching home I opened the boot to check the woofer. I was surprised to see the woofer was unplugged. What surprised me even more was the base I was getting from just the speakers and how much little the woofer was contributing.

Since then I have been have a lot of post purchase dissonance on the sound system.

Plus, mid next week I am buying an Accent Executive. So for this one, before I get anything installed, I need to be absolutely sure.

So I am hoping I can get enough help here to decide on a good configuration and also whats better Box or a Bass Tube.

Appreciate all the advice here.

Thanks
Old 27th December 2008, 15:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

box , any day. tubes only if your budget is very low , and "some boom" will do
Old 27th December 2008, 15:29   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
box , any day. tubes only if your budget is very low , and "some boom" will do
Even I thought so....

One more favour. The box in my esteem.... isn't it suppose to have an air passage somewhere. I've noticed woofers in home theater systems with air outlet passages.

The box I have in my esteem is closed from all 4 sides.

Also which way the woofer should face. Towards the backseat or towards the boot opening side.

Thanks
Old 27th December 2008, 15:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayonet View Post
Guys,

Whats better, a woofer fitted in a box or a Bass Tube.

The reason I ask this is that last month I got a pioneer woofer (in a box) fitted in my 18 month old esteem. To pump beats into that I have a Pioneer DEH-3090UB and a Sony 4 channel amp. For sound I have Sony 3 way Coaxial speakers.

A couple of days ago while driving back from office I felt something was wrong with the base, it sounded somewhat low. So after reaching home I opened the boot to check the woofer. I was surprised to see the woofer was unplugged. What surprised me even more was the base I was getting from just the speakers and how much little the woofer was contributing.

Since then I have been have a lot of post purchase dissonance on the sound system.

Plus, mid next week I am buying an Accent Executive. So for this one, before I get anything installed, I need to be absolutely sure.

So I am hoping I can get enough help here to decide on a good configuration and also whats better Box or a Bass Tube.

Appreciate all the advice here.

Thanks

one more term for the FRANKipedia®
PURCHASE DISSONANCE:
a very common term that arises in the minds of all Sony Xplod Audio Equipment Buyers.
Prior to this the buyer experiences a sudden urge to BURN all his hundred rupee bills in a huge bonfire, but then changes his mind and decides to buy Sony Xplod Equipment instead.
After buying, he thinks, "it would've been better to have burnt those bills after all!"

ok, sorry for outraging your modesty, but the term is an ORIGINAL and i really liked it! anyways, here's what you should do. go to a good installer. have your connections checked, and then ask him to play your system without the sub and then with the sub. if you are happy, you do not need to burn more money. if you arent happy and plan to buy more Xplod Equipment to complement all the explosions already happening in your car, then please set fire to all your notes, and smile thinking of what would have happened if more Sony Xplod Equipment was bought!
sorry the jokes just dont stop!

ps: your equipment is not THAT bad, just get it tuned well. will keep you happy if tuned and wired correctly! cheers!

Last edited by frankmehta : 27th December 2008 at 16:01.
Old 27th December 2008, 16:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

frank, the problem is that a lot of installers dont know how to make a proper ported box either. usually they end up copying some branded box design, and that ends up sounding bad. In addition, some entry level branded boxed subs(and 'm not talking about xplod here) are also being tuned for boom over bass, making the distinction less

Last edited by greenhorn : 27th December 2008 at 16:19.
Old 27th December 2008, 16:12   #15
Senior - BHPian

add to it, the absolute ignorance to facts like manufacturer specified enclosure specifications, and near zero knowledge of what a ported, or a sealed enclosure should do. couple that with high gains, and horrible eq settings and there you have it, the average indian 'installer'

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks