Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2007, 10:27   #16
BANNED

Using 75.4 JBL to power JBL607C and JBL 937 its kind of overpowering setup but even at full volume they sounds preety good, must be good tuning and damping helped.
Old 12th November 2007, 11:51   #17
Team-BHP Support

I have been tinkering with audio/electronics for about 30 years. I have blown a woofer only once (I was 9 or so and wanted to see what happens if we power it from the mains, all I got was a "phut"). Most woofers and many midranges will distort and sound horrible before they blow. Tweeters on the other hand can pop like fuses - one moment you hear highs, next moment you dont.

So it is the tweeter one really need to be more careful about. the best way to do that is to ensure that the amp is never driven into clipping. clipping concentrates much of the amplifier's energy in the high frequencies and tweeters are not designed to handle that much power.
navin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2007, 13:45   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile View Post
What is the model no. of your Blaupunkt amplifier. Using appropriate HPF on HU / amplifier should help. If the jarring comes from the door panels then deaden them using damping material.
It is Blaupunkt GTA 480.Its pretty old.
Old 12th November 2007, 13:51   #19
Senior - BHPian

So @navin, in laymans terms does that mean as a thumbrule, it is relatively safer to have the amp power a bit more than the speaker rating?
Old 13th November 2007, 11:07   #20
BHPian

Hi all and thank you for your replies. Hope you all had a fun filled Diwali.

The Spark LT (Fiery Red) is finally home and I plan to have it ICEd this weekend. My options are:

A) Illusions 'EL 4.1' components in the front and suitable 6 x 9s (JBL, Balupunkt or Ground Zero) in the rear, both powered by Blau 'MK Spl GT4' amplifier.

or

B) The Blau dealer has offered a good discount on its 'OD series' of speakers. In that case, I might have to let go my plans of having components in the front. I am having a look (sorry, hear) at the OD series in a day or two. Will let you know as soon as I do it.

FYI, Blaupunkt - Loud Speakers - OD Series - ODx 102 OD series 4" Speakers

and

Blaupunkt - Loud Speakers - OD Series - ODx693 OD series 6 x 9s

One thing I can say is that the 'OD series' speakers are amazingly light weight as compared to any other speakers (JBL GTO series, Blau TH series) I have seen so far.

I Hope you have recovered from your Monday morning blues! Happy working.
Old 13th November 2007, 11:31   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
So @navin, in laymans terms does that mean as a thumbrule, it is relatively safer to have the amp power a bit more than the speaker rating?
the size of the amplifer depends on how loud you want to play (provided your speakesrs can go that loud). so say your speakers are rated at 87db/1w/1m and you wnat to be able to reproduce 110db/1m you need 23db (200W rms) of amplification to do that. Now you also have to understand that you speaker might not be capable of producing 110db from say 50Hz to 20kHz. At 50Hz excursion limits of the woofer will come into play and in the HF (2/3k+) the excursion and thermal limits of the tweeter will be a restriction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaAT View Post
One thing I can say is that the 'OD series' speakers are amazingly light weight as compared to any other speakers (JBL GTO series, Blau TH series) I have seen so far.
the OD series of Blau is more compareable to the Lucent seris of Illusion. both use NdFeB magnets and that is what makes them light in weight. also since both of them mount these small high intensity magnets in front of the cone the mounting depth is less than the usual.
Old 13th November 2007, 11:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

@CaAT I used to have ODx 693s and ODx662s in my Palio earlier. They are good speakers, and like you said, they are very light and shallow (minimum mounting depth).

Do listen to them before you finalise, though -- I've felt they add a slight metallic twang to the sound.

Any idea what price you'll be getting them at? If memory serves right, I'd bought the 693s for 8K and the 662s for 5.6k. They are costlier than comparable speakers because of their magnets (that let the speakers be very thin/shallow). If mounting depth is not that much of an issue for you, you might find other speakers that sound as good for less, or other speakers that sound better for the same price.
Old 13th November 2007, 11:56   #23
BHPian

Thanks Navin for the info.

@ Hydrashok.

The MRP of Odx 693 is indeed Rs 8k. The 4" coax ODx 102 costs Rs 3100. I am getting a 15% discount on it. Will try and stretch it to 20%. But as you said, I will listen to them before making a decision. Thanks.
Old 29th October 2008, 20:51   #24
BHPian

A simple question -
I have a Sony GT470 HU with 52w X 4 power output salvaged from my old car.
I also have 2 Sony GF1320 xplod 2 way speakers which came along with the first sony cassette player that I bought with my old car. And so far they were working nicely with the new HU.
Now I am planning to install this set in my new car - the GT470 HU with the 2 old xplods in the front doors and going to buy 2 new JBL GTO 938 (200W) for the parcel shelf.
The actual question now - putting the 200 W speakers with the 52W HU is OK? Or is there anything more I need to do?
Don't have any plans to go for amps and subs right now.
Thanx.
Old 30th October 2008, 10:31   #25
Senior - BHPian

you can power them off your HU but the sound would be low. go in for atleast an amp and do justice to the equipment!
Old 30th October 2008, 20:40   #26
BHPian

Thanks Panky.
After buying the car without going for a car loan, it's my bank account which is in more need of an amp right now. So the amp for the car has to wait for some time probably, but I can't wait that long to put the music in the car and go for a long drive.
By "sound would be low" - I assume you mean that the sound would be below the full potential capacity of the bigger speakers - am I right?
But at the least, will I get a sound equal to that from the smaller sony speakers from the JBLs?
Approximately how much will be a standard amp to drive the 2 JBLs?
Thanks in advance.
Old 31st October 2008, 07:29   #27
BANNED

Try without the AMP first, if you feel it is very low then you can think of an AMP. You can get a decent one for 3-4k.
Old 31st October 2008, 09:20   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tMax View Post
The actual question now - putting the 200 W speakers with the 52W HU is OK? Or is there anything more I need to do?
Don't have any plans to go for amps and subs right now.
Thanx.
Of course its ok, till such time you feel you want better.

My plan of action would be a little different.

Step 1 : Id put the Sony in the rear and get a JBL 6.5" co-axial up front.

Step 2 : Next would be to change the HU to a very basic Pioneer or Kenwood.

Alternatively if you think you might succumb to T-Bhp pressure and empty your piggy bank then just retain the setup for a few months and when you do spend, go all out
Old 31st October 2008, 19:32   #29
BHPian

Thanks a lot zaks & s0uljah, I was also thinking exactly along the same lines - to start without the amp, and then go for it after some time. So that sorts out the components part.
Now comes the installer part - and that probably is going to turn out to be an even bigger problem. With a little bit of search on our ICE section, I could get a feeling that there is only one reliable and dependable ICE installer in hyderabad - and his name is Hamid - who turns out to be from BLR. So obviously he is going to be one busy guy. Haven't tried to contact him yet.
Can any body suggest any other good installer in hyderabad
T-BHPians from hyderabad, any suggestions?

Or should I drive down to BLR for installing the ICE ? Ofcourse I don't mind doing that - it will also help me cover up the first 1k km to complete the running in !!
Old 23rd July 2021, 00:25   #30
BHPian

Re: Amplifier rating Vs Speaker rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

So it is the tweeter one really need to be more careful about. the best way to do that is to ensure that the amp is never driven into clipping. clipping concentrates much of the amplifier's energy in the high frequencies and tweeters are not designed to handle that much power.
Navin, need quick help.
I bought below items today and want to know whether speaker and amp are suitable.
Speakers -
Morel Virtus 602 components
Max power output : 300W
Nominal power output : 140W RMS
Impedance : 4ohm

4 channel Amplifier
Sony XM-GS4
Max wattage at 4ohm : 150W*4
RMS wattage at 4ohm : 70W*4

If you see the amp is underrated by 100%. Can I use this 4ch amp to power above same 4 components or do I need to find a higher rated amp. Please note that am using same component speakers front and rear.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks