Morel Virtus 602 components
Max power output : 300W
Nominal power output : 140W RMS
Impedance : 4ohm

4 channel Amplifier
Sony XM-GS4
Max wattage at 4ohm : 150W*4
RMS wattage at 4ohm : 70W*4

If you see the amp is underrated by 100%. Can I use this 4ch amp to power above the same 4 components or do I need to find a higher-rated amp? Please note that am using the same component speakers front and rear.
Firstly, disregard all "Max" ratings and use only the RMS ratings. I don't even know how companies define what "Max" is. RMS at least has a theoretical definition.

The speaker has an official rating of about 91db/2w/1m (2.83V @ 4ohms is 2W). This rating might be overstated (most loudspeaker companies tend to be rather ambitious with their published specifications). So let's assume the real-world sensitivity is around 87db/2W/1m. Using this more conservative rating, at 20W it will be producing around 97db @1m.
https://www.morelhifi.com/product/virtus-2-way-3-way/

This is plenty loud. Your ears will complain long before the speaker does. What you should be more concerned about is the 8mm Xmax of the woofer (MW6).
https://www.morelhifi.com/wp-content...ifications.pdf

If you have a subwoofer in the system the speaker would be spared the challenge of reproducing low bass frequencies at high SPLs. If not, be careful with the bass control of your head unit. Either way, if you push too much bass into this speaker it will complain audibly (you will hear the sound breakup).

In short, don't worry about it too much. A clean 50W RMS is more than enough for most loudspeakers and humans. With an efficient enough loudspeaker (I have heard some that measure 101-105db/1w/1m), 10W RMS can part your hair.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 18:17   #32
BHPian

Re: Amplifier rating Vs Speaker rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

If you have a subwoofer in the system the speaker would be spared the challenge of reproducing low bass frequencies at high SPLs. If not, be careful with the bass control of your head unit. Either way, if you push too much bass into this speaker it will complain audibly (you will hear the sound breakup).
Thanks Navin.
I have ordered JBL basspro SL underseat subwoofer which has inbuilt amp. So plan is to drive 4 components via 4ch amp and use the subwoofer with inbuilt amp.

Below are my current setup which I placed an order and not yet received. Kindly check if they are compatible.

4 Speakers

4 channel Amplifier to drive 4 speakers
Sony XM-GS4

Jbl basspro SL : (inbuilt amp)
Nominal power : 125W RMS

Am more worried about overpowering or underpowering the speaker. I read that it may cause clipping issue and amplifier or speaker may start overheat and damage the components.

Can you please tell me if above combination is safe and suitable option? Please let me know if I have to change anything what would that be?

Last edited by Kashi053 : 23rd July 2021 at 18:21. Reason: Asking specific questions
Old 23rd July 2021, 18:56   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashi053 View Post
Am more worried about overpowering or underpowering the speaker. I read that it may cause clipping issue and amplifier or speaker may start overheat and damage the components.

Can you please tell me if above combination is safe and suitable option?
No issues with the combination. Go ahead! I presume you'll be running all of this through the OEM HU, right?!

What is critical here is how correctly the gains are set on the 4 channel amplifier and all the wiring connections are correct as required.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 21:19   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
No issues with the combination. Go ahead! I presume you'll be running all of this through the OEM HU, right?!
Yes Anurag. I own xuv300 W8 and planning to stick to stock HU.

Damping and good gauge wire is already considered. Anything else I need to look for? Mostly I will do the installation next week.
Old 23rd July 2021, 22:00   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Navin.

4 Speakers

4 channel Amplifier to drive 4 speakers
Sony XM-GS4

Jbl basspro SL : (inbuilt amp)
Nominal power : 125W RMS

Can you please tell me if above combination is safe and suitable option? Please let me know if I have to change anything what would that be?
Amp would be under powered as compared to speakers even if you leave the subwoofer aside. Also why do you need two sets of components in the car. Better get front component in front and some co axials in the rear door. Also these components would be enough if you just keep the rear speakers off as well.

As these components can handle 140W rms so amp would not give clean power at max gain position
Safari_Beast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 22:07   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Damping and good gauge wire is already considered. Anything else I need to look for? Mostly I will do the installation next week.
Please do NOT compromise on wiring quality even if it costlier. Try to plan in such a way that you have headroom for an amplifier upgrade in future.

Also, I'll suggest components at the front and coaxials at the rear. Do consider this option, if possible!
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 22:48   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Please do NOT compromise on wiring quality even if it costlier.

Also, I'll suggest components at the front and coaxials at the rear.
Yes entire wiring will be done by good quality wires. Do you have any suggestions on brands? Am yet to order this and how much length is typically required?

I am aware about usual front components and rear coaxial. But after lot of research am convinced that all 4 components should provide better result. Will be sticking to 4 components and let you know how it turns out.
Old 25th July 2021, 11:58   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Do you have any suggestions on brands? Am yet to order this and how much length is typically required?
Look at the Blaupunkt 4ga OFC amplifier kit (₹7,000) that will solve all power, ground and remote wiring needs along with fuse holders. For speaker wire, get the Blaupunkt 16ga OFC wires (₹3,000 for 100ft spool, you'll be charged for the quantity you use).

Speaker wire quantity would be between 12-15 feet.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 12:08   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Yes entire wiring will be done by good quality wires. Do you have any suggestions on brands? Am yet to order this and how much length is typically required?
Blaupunkt speaker cable is fairly decent. A 100 foot 16 gauge OFC roll is available on its official online store for a little over 3K & 18 gauge OFC is a little over 2K.
I think 100 feet should be more than enough for your install.
What I particularly like about the Blaupunkt speaker cables is that the positive and negative cables are differently colored (black and red) and therefore easier to identify. The positive and negative cables from some companies e.g. Audison are the same color and one needs to identify them by looking for some markings on one of the cables. This becomes difficult when the cables get a bit dirty or if one's eyesight isn't that great. Hope this helps.
All the best for your install.
nura is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 12:53   #40
BHPian

You can also get yourself some heat shrink tubing from Amazon and avoid using electrical tape as much as possible. Electrical tape loses its adhesive property with time and if 2 sets of exposed wires touch each other, one could have some blown expensive equipment.
It might also be a good idea to get some wire ferrules of appropriate size.

Most Viewed