Old 22nd November 2007, 22:02   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
OT:

Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
no, i wouldn't since AFAIK it is johnnie walker & not johny walker, so i would know straightaway that it's a fake. cheers:

you'll missed the spirit of the statement and stuck to the typo error. neways. we can always catch up with spirits, coming back to the point...

we're debating the idea that an altec or a logitech or a creative "computer speaker system" is VFM in a car.

i mean, seriously. it's not impossible to place the creative on your dashboard and give it a 12v supply from the ciggy lighter. is it??
Old 22nd November 2007, 22:16   #32
BHPian

Its a passive subwoofer in a ready-made box. Its hasnt come to the 're-use' state. Actually its part of a 5.1 system connected to my PC. I just dont use it much.

If there's a risk of damaging the HU, it'd be stupid of me to experiment. Especially when the HU concerned hasn't even been installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
First of all, it is not clear whether you are referring to a Driver, or a ready-made box-unit (maybe with an internal amp). What was it before coming to the re-use state?

If a driver (even in a box, without internal amp), it could be connected across one of the speakers FL/LR, RL/RR - but then it would change the effective impedance of that channel to the HU and the apparent loudness of that channel. You have to bravely experiment. Just make sure you don't short-out any speaker connection - that will be a costly error.

Not knowing the output stage of the HU, don't know what will happen if you bridge the both the L and R of either the front or rear pairs. Navin-ji?

Might work, but it is not likely to produce much loudness - might get drowned in road noise.
Old 22nd November 2007, 22:27   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyguru View Post
i mean, seriously. it's not impossible to place the creative on your dashboard and give it a 12v supply from the ciggy lighter. is it??
No it is not. Why don't you try it out and post a report for us?
Old 22nd November 2007, 23:24   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
No it is not. Why don't you try it out and post a report for us?

rocksterji, i'm on the other side of the fence. i'm not for it, for obvious reasons. so i guess we'll have to find another volunteer, or coax vebmetal into it.
Old 22nd November 2007, 23:43   #35
Senior - BHPian

hi all.
for all of us thinking of putting in creative or logitec or edifier 2.1 and 5.1 speakers in car there is two primary reason why it will not work. atleast why you cant use it with the car running.
its the alternator hum and ignition noise. all these sets do not have filters built in so even though they sound good in car it only if powered from battery. the moment engines start the alternator and ignition noise will be louder than music. i have done this experiment with the jvc 5.1 head unit since my friend wanted a cheaper 5.1 speaker solution. he had to buy two jbl 4 channel amps later.
i do agree they sound better in the enclosed small are of car but not practical.
alternately trying all the power noise filters and rca cable filters end up running a high bill and may not be successful. these speaker build is not made for car environment, dust, high temperature in closed car, dampness during rains. and robustness.
Old 23rd November 2007, 10:16   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
atleast why you cant use it with the car running.
its the alternator hum and ignition noise. all these sets do not have filters built in so even though they sound good in car it only if powered from battery. the moment engines start the alternator and ignition noise will be louder than music.
That would be a wiring fault. Easily fixed by locating wiring properly and putting a capacitor across the faulty lines (curbing the noise at source). If one is anyhow DingIY, that shouldn't be a big deal!
Old 23rd November 2007, 17:54   #37
Senior - BHPian

well it was a brand new wagon r and default ice setup was using a pio mp3 player & 4 pio speakers. there was no problem in the test setup we used. i think car amps must be having shields [ all i have seen are invariably in metal boxes] and filter networwe can confirm from sam bhai and others.using filter networs will solve the Problem, do let me know value of capacitors & coils you used
Old 24th November 2007, 15:41   #38
BHPian

I know of an install where the owner insisted on putting in a Creative 5.1 into the new Skoda. They drilled and cut open some panels to get those puny speakers into the pillars and dash, but it sounded so crappy that owner came back the very next day to change them to something "traditional". This was about 2 years ago and happened in Trichur/Kerala. FWIIW

Last edited by determinus : 24th November 2007 at 15:42.
Old 24th November 2007, 18:40   #39
BHPian

^ Ouch!!

After @$%$ing up his panels, that too!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks