Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2007, 14:13   #1

Doing things very slowly...

Hello everyone!

My first post here and to tell the truth I am dazzled by the Petrol head invasion that's slowly being perpetrated here.

In any case, I am a noobie to the max in the sense that I am passionate about the engineering aspect of cars but not so much anything else. I am however quite passionate about music and since I have now started to drive to work, I feel the need to gear up with a decent music rig in my car. The thing is that I am not a distant relative of any of the mega rich families of India and considering I just started a business, I can't afford to blow up a lot of money all at the same time. Hence this is what I figured I want to do:

I want to buy good stuff but not all at the same time.

This can be done because there is an existing rig (which is not completely awful) in my car and it's comprised of a Pioneer tape deck, Blaupunkt TS series speakers at the back and some (?) speakers in the front so I won't really be without music at any stage. I am not a subwoofer type of guy and just need sweet sounding stuff in this car.

I drive an Indica DLS and the plan is to address all three components (headunit, front speakers and rear speakers) seperately. This is my story and this is my problem, and I would appreciate any feedback on this count.

Thanks much in advance!
Old 15th December 2007, 16:22   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I really appreciate the effort Raghu. This would make things more uniform in our eccentric and wayward ICE section.

But personally I abhor monotony. And the various ways and methods that people ask ICE questions keep me smiling and interested. I suppose this would serve as a handy guide for newbies with questions. Well done.
Sam dada,

Couldn't help quoting your post when I read this query

Please enlighten the nOOb
Old 15th December 2007, 18:13   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

yes this is exactly what I mean by various ways and methods.

Hello Senor Anomaly, it was a pleasure to read your post. Would you be willing to spend 15K? 20K? Is that OK, too much?

Very few of us are distant relatives of any mega rich families. Most of us have our priorities straight. Food, family, friends can be managed. We spend all our money (and yours too) on ICE.
Old 15th December 2007, 18:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
But personally I abhor monotony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
yes this is exactly what I mean by various ways and methods.
.spend all our money (and yours too) on ICE.
D'oh!

I thought you dont like monotony because Tony uses only one speaker.
Old 15th December 2007, 18:23   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I think you are right ajay. December has made all of us frisky. We should ban ourselves.
Old 15th December 2007, 18:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

You are all bad boys. Shame on you all. You haven't said a word to help
BTW, I saw the subject and thought this (finally) was Sam's I.C.E. Yetiguide(R) on How to "Love me tender, Love me slow".

@Karmicanomaly, welcome to TBHP ICE. As is said frequently here, "We are like this only"

First upgrade your front speakers to components (around 4K to 6K will be fine). Then your HU (6K to 9K will be fine). Then the rear speakers (5K to 6K). Then add a 4-ch amp (7K to 13K will be fine. Add 2K to 3K for wiring). By then you'll want a sub (5K will be fine). Add a sub next and use the rear channels of the amp to drive the sub. Next you'll want a mono amp (10K to 13K will be fine) to drive the sub better. Add Mono (not the "Tony" kind). Next you'll want to upgrade the HU again. Then...

Ummm... maybe you should stop once the 4-ch amp goes in.

If you can specify a budget (total budget or current budget for the first upgrade) we can help with specifics.

Last edited by hydrashok : 15th December 2007 at 18:48.
Old 15th December 2007, 20:25   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
hydrashok : Welcome to TBHP ICE. As is said frequently here, "We are like this only"
What he meant was:

Welcome to TBHP ICE. As is said frequently here, "We like ICE only".
Old 15th December 2007, 20:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to Team BHP, and that is a bomb of a first post because:

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmicanomaly View Post
This is my story and this is my problem
It is now officially your story and everyone's problem.

Quote:
My first post here and to tell the truth I am dazzled by the Petrol head invasion that's slowly being perpetrated here.
Your bedazzlement is just about to begin. Have you heard of Rummy's "Shock and Awe" ?

Quote:
The thing is that I am not a distant relative of any of the mega rich families of India and considering I just started a business, I can't afford to blow up a lot of money all at the same time.
Famous last words.

Quote:
I want to buy good stuff but not all at the same time.
No, no not all at once. By the time you get around to finally buying all the good stuff you will realize there's better stuff waiting to be bought.

Quote:
This can be done because there is an existing rig (which is not completely awful) in my car
Believe me - it will soon sound unbearably awful.

Quote:
the plan is to address all three components (headunit, front speakers and rear speakers) seperately.
Right. Then they will get started on the REAL stuff, and you will learn that there are a gazillion things more than the three that we poor souls initially though constitutes SOUND.

And when the guys here are through and you're still solvant, we'll get around to addressing THIS:
Quote:
I drive an Indica DLS
And oh by the way - WELCOME
Old 15th December 2007, 20:56   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
karmicanomaly : I want to buy good stuff but not all at the same time.
Quote:
Steeroid : No, no not all at once. By the time you get around to finally buying all the good stuff you will realize there's better stuff waiting to be bought.
You'll end up eternally going around in circles.
Last and Final warning.
Old 16th December 2007, 00:02   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I drive an Indica DLS and the plan is to address all three components (headunit, front speakers and rear speakers) seperately.
I would add an amp to the above.there are a few good 4ch. models out there available for about 7-8K.

HU: think 8-10K for say a Pio 7950 without B&W. If you are going for B&W there is Blaupunkt (great A.S.S), JVC (gret VFM), Alpine (good SQ).

Front Speakers: options are plenty here budgets vary from 4K to 12K and more.
a) 6" componets with the tweeter mounted in the door
b) same as above but using the dash for the tweeter
c) 6" woofer in door mated to 4" 2 way in dash (I have heard one such setup powered by a 4ch. amp)
d) 4" 2way in dash (severe limitation of bass in the front)

Rear Speakers; a pair of 6x9 in the rear will provide you rear fill and bass. budget 4-6K
Old 16th December 2007, 01:27   #11
BHPian

this is hilarious. have all the freaks of the world gathered here on this forum? i thought monotony was boring coz tony had only one wife. :-p

dear sir anomaly, welcome aboard. that's one of the most wonderful handle name i've come across in a long time after St. Anger.

this is what you must go thru first.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...k-25k-30k.html

there's one more article by sam. but as usual i can't find the thread. i don't think the mods have parked it... mods, is it possible to have a separate thread for for published car audio write ups?

damp the doors. yes. damp the doors first. in yr diesel indica, you'll get to enjoy your existing music system more. and since you may need to damp them anyway later. gosh... has the damping bug bit me?

damping will cost you say 2-5k. then you can decide how big you want yr front components to be. the stock i guess is 5.25, but there are some snaps here i guess by panky, who's fit 6.5" with a little cutting of the periphery.

speakers don't tend to get outdated fast. i guess yr blau should be decent enough to play them. in some time newer models of HUs will come and older ones will get cheaper. so you can then buy the HU.

and yes. a tentative budget... this helps in knowing entry level, mid level, senior level, pro, fanatic.

are you familiar with damping sheets, HUs, components and other ICE glossary? there's another thread on glossary right on the top, parked in the main menu. go thru that as well... first couple of pages should be fine. yeh smiley jabardasti ka chipak gaya hai, edit ki post tab bhi ja nahi raha hai. ignore this.

Last edited by montyguru : 16th December 2007 at 01:40.
Old 16th December 2007, 09:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

I think we sacred the poor feller off!
Old 16th December 2007, 20:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyguru View Post
i thought monotony was boring coz tony had only one wife. :-p
That's Gamy, not Tony.
Old 16th December 2007, 22:35   #14
BHPian

^ Gyny to be precise, not gamy.

Polygamy = the practice or condition of having more than one spouse
Polygyny = the practice or condition of having more than one wife
Polyandry = the practice or condition of having more than one husband

That's your anthropological thought for the day
Old 17th December 2007, 01:06   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
That's Gamy, not Tony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
^ Gyny to be precise, not gamy.

Polygamy = the practice or condition of having more than one spouse
Polygyny = the practice or condition of having more than one wife
Polyandry = the practice or condition of having more than one husband

That's your anthropological thought for the day
ab yeh gamy aur poly kaun hai? mono ke boring hone ki baat ho rahi thi na. aur tony tha na jisko maza nahi aa raha tha? tum sab log ne chadha rakhi hai kya?

anomaly sahab hum sab ki bakwaas se shaayad baahar chale gaye. yeh sab hamare karmon ka fal hai. mono se khush nahi. tony se khush nahi. gamy se khush nahi. polly se khush nahi. aur ab gyny aur andre bhi aa gaye. let's give them a warm welcome, lest they feel lost out here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks