Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2007, 13:00   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
honestly tell me, do you listen to the rears while driving or its for the passengers seated there? or you sit at the back?
Clip,
Yes i do sit at the back and i do listen to rears while i drive that's why i am keen to have them!
The clarion 776HU is good option provided you intend to go for Clarion 9255(Hx-d2),cause the 776 hu is less expensive(You can sell it off easily,later) then the 9887 and somewhat give the featuers the 9887 leaving apart Imprint!
776 controls and buttons are rather hard to get used too...
But this is all what i have been told on the different forums by the users of this hu.

Cheers!
Old 29th December 2007, 13:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
Now the question is can i go active with a fully adujstable 4 channel amp for fronts,and a seperate two channel amp for the rear.Crossovers on HU set to flat and crossovers on the amp do the needfull?
Yes, that is possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333
but you wont have the xo controls at your finger tips but you don't adjust tthe xos so i think it will be all right.
In an active front stage, the LP for the mid driver, the HP for the tweeter, and their respective levels should be set perfectly from the amp based on the driver's response during installation and left as it is. There is no point in changing them on a day-to-day basis. In fact, control at your fingertips for this crossover point could be dangerous like Gunbir has pointed out.
Old 29th December 2007, 15:56   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Yes, that is possible.

In an active front stage, the LP for the mid driver, the HP for the tweeter, and their respective levels should be set perfectly from the amp based on the driver's response during installation and left as it is. There is no point in changing them on a day-to-day basis. In fact, control at your fingertips for this crossover point could be dangerous like Gunbir has pointed out.
i agree there is no point changing the xos but i prefer the xos on the HU. but honestly, i never thought of going active with the amp xos. i think i can do that now. in any case ill be buying an amplifier soon. but if i buy a HU then ill use the HU xo(9887)

what is a better option according to your experience? amp or HU xos? IMO one needs a high end amp like steg or audison(i think it can accomodate modules to do that. on the high end ofcourse) to set the xos precisely. dont you think it would be difficult to do that on a regular amp with rotary controls. one will need a scope to do that.

cheers'
clip
Old 29th December 2007, 16:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i agree there is no point changing the xos but i prefer the xos on the HU.
Again you are perhaps referring to the XO commonly available on HUs like the LPF for the sub and HPF for speakers etc. While this is fine, why would you adjust the handover of the mid to the tweeter etc regularly except during install or a subsequent tweak?

Quote:
what is a better option according to your experience? amp or HU xos? IMO one needs a high end amp like steg or audison(i think it can accomodate modules to do that. on the high end ofcourse) to set the xos precisely. dont you think it would be difficult to do that on a regular amp with rotary controls. one will need a scope to do that.
You're right. It is not possible to do it very accurately with a rotary knob without a digital read-out. Which is why, Steg has modules that set the amp to the precise frequecy needed. It is available in all the Steg amps, not just high-end. In this case, you cant say HU X-over will be better than the amp or vice versa. It will be identical. Only limitation is that Steg amps will only allow you to do 12dB/ octave but thats fine in my opinion and suits most drivers.
Old 29th December 2007, 16:30   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Again you are perhaps referring to the XO commonly available on HUs like the LPF for the sub and HPF for speakers etc. While this is fine, why would you adjust the handover of the mid to the tweeter etc regularly except during install or a subsequent tweak?

You're right. It is not possible to do it very accurately with a rotary knob without a digital read-out. Which is why, Steg has modules that set the amp to the precise frequecy needed. It is available in all the Steg amps, not just high-end. In this case, you cant say HU X-over will be better than the amp or vice versa. It will be identical. Only limitation is that Steg amps will only allow you to do 12dB/ octave but thats fine in my opinion and suits most drivers.
i think this thread will be nice for everyone. ive learnt a new thing. lets keep it nice and clean.

im referring to active xo i.e. high/mid/low. you are right. there is no need to change the xover points of mid/tweeter often.

i would definitely think of using the amps xo only if i dont have an active xo HU or i have an amp like steg and can afford the modules. :-)

are amps with replaceable modules available in india leaving aside steg or audison? every one cant afford these expensive amps.
Old 29th December 2007, 16:41   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There is no point in changing them on a day-to-day basis. In fact, control at your fingertips for this crossover point could be dangerous like Gunbir has pointed out.
besides if you use the HU everytime the car goes for servicing you loose the settings.

Quote:
You're right. It is not possible to do it very accurately with a rotary knob without a digital read-out. ...Only limitation is that Steg amps will only allow you to do 12dB/ octave but thats fine in my opinion and suits most drivers.
actulaly what assurance do we have that the 50Hz displayed on the HU si really 50Hz? It could be 40Hz or even 60Hz. Plug in modules are considerably more accurate but again without measuring tools we have to essentially trust the manufacturer. In a car 12db and 18db are what is most used. However so far most car stereos/amps only offer simple butterworth slopes.
Old 29th December 2007, 16:50   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
are amps with replaceable modules available in india leaving aside steg or audison? every one cant afford these expensive amps.
Do Audison SRx series amps have an option to fix the frequency output using modules? If yes then Shrivz would be very happy. I know the VRx / LRx (whichever is the higher end model) does have that option and the modules are expensive afaik. Gunbir can you confirm?

Ajay does the QMOS series have the option of plugging these modules? Where exactly are they plugged in?
Old 29th December 2007, 16:51   #23
Senior - BHPian

One major drawback of an amp xo based active setup Vs an HU xo based one is time alignment. I only know of the Audison VRx series to have TA modules for the amps. There may be others but none that I know of.
Old 29th December 2007, 17:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
besides if you use the HU everytime the car goes for servicing you loose the settings.
Navin Ji this happens in fe HU. I have experinced two Signal Processor till now one was the Pioneer 7600 and now the PXA. Both have a battery to retain the setting and it keeps the setting for nearly 3 day (as mentioned in the manual). So even after disconnecting the setting remain. But I have never seen that in a case of a HU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Ajay does the QMOS series have the option of plugging these modules? Where exactly are they plugged in?

Ya Qmos has the AQXM2 module support it goes in side the amp if I am correct.
Old 29th December 2007, 17:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Navin Ji this happens in fe HU. I have experinced two Signal Processor till now one was the Pioneer 7600 and now the PXA. Both have a battery to retain the setting and it keeps the setting for nearly 3 day (as mentioned in the manual). So even after disconnecting the setting remain. But I have never seen that in a case of a HU.
The HX-D2 does in fact have memory backup in its external power supply, and settings are retained for quite long (way more than 3 days at least).
Old 29th December 2007, 17:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
The HX-D2 does in fact have memory backup in its external power supply, and settings are retained for quite long (way more than 3 days at least).
It is a good thing then. I think the manufacturer my give this feature in all the HU.
Old 29th December 2007, 18:01   #27
BHPian

its nice to have battery backup. what one can do is to note down the settings and in case of a memory wipe out(batt disconnection) one can set the HU easily. i have seen people do this.

cant one install a batt parallel to the main batt? it should be doable. but lets not go off topic and discuss the topic on hand.

cheers
Old 29th December 2007, 22:01   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Gunbir my statement was generic. I think you will agree that most HUs do NOT have a battery back up.
Old 30th December 2007, 16:29   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

actulaly what assurance do we have that the 50Hz displayed on the HU si really 50Hz? It could be 40Hz or even 60Hz. Plug in modules are considerably more accurate but again without measuring tools we have to essentially trust the manufacturer. In a car 12db and 18db are what is most used. However so far most car stereos/amps only offer simple butterworth slopes.
but a car does not go for service qften. and don't you think its easy to revert to the setting you had before the battery disconnection.

i agree for a few, its difficult as everyone dont know about xos etc. but like i said earlier, one can note down the settings. but that can be difficult as well. if some one does not know how to go in hidden menus it can be a problem.
most of the head units have the setup menus hidden. i.e. one needs to press a key for a few seconds to access the setup menu.

so i think you are right about this con. i ididn't give it a deep thought.

i thought head unit crossovers are accurate. they should be as they are in digital domain.

don't know what a manufacturer will get out of giving false xo cut off frequency.
Old 30th December 2007, 17:31   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One major drawback of an amp xo based active setup Vs an HU xo based one is time alignment.
You are referring to time alignment of the drivers on the same channel with respect to each other or time alignment as we know it in its common form as found in head units, processors etc where whole channels are delayed with respect to the farthest channel? Because the latter would be possible in an active system with crossover settings on the amp.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks