Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2008, 18:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Ok took out few of my instruments and did some measuring. Test was a comparison of two different wires.

Thats the thumb of a master installer

Good work!! this will help the DIY people and those on a budget. After reading Sam & your writeup on the power cables thread it helped me assist my friends in building their system on meager budgets. Its funny how people suddenly change their opinion and say the setup doesnt sound good when they find out the cables are not branded for car audio.

Copper is Copper is Copper, baaki the quality you please tell us.
Old 21st January 2008, 20:07   #17

i have been unable to find a place in mumbai that sells 10sq or 8gauge finolex power cable .
i have tried the electrical market in south mumbai called "lohar chawl".
they stock finolex there but when i enquired about my purpose they said i needed finolex "Auto" cables which they didnt have.
help.

i would also like help with an installer in mumbai, specially someone who can do some fibre glass work.
i have a getz and i plan to install rear 6*9's on the boot sides (not on rear parsel shelf).
since i would like to have a neat clean look and DONT want BOXs i was thinking a fibre glass moulding that would allow me to install the speakers on the boot sides is a good way of maximising boot space.

please help with such an installer.
Old 21st January 2008, 21:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuz1979 View Post
i have been unable to find a place in mumbai that sells 10sq or 8gauge finolex power cable .
i have tried the electrical market in south mumbai called "lohar chawl".
they stock finolex there but when i enquired about my purpose they said i needed finolex "Auto" cables which they didnt have.
Try any other brand such as L&T or Havell. It need not be auto cables, as long as it is a reputed BIS-marked multi-strand cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuz1979 View Post
i have a getz and i plan to install rear 6*9's on the boot sides (not on rear parsel shelf).
since i would like to have a neat clean look and DONT want BOXs i was thinking a fibre glass moulding that would allow me to install the speakers on the boot sides is a good way of maximising boot space.
Good idea, that! But it need not be FRP - you can use 0.75" MDF too for the same job. You just need a good carpenter to make it look OEM. Navin or @b&t can suggest an installer who can do FG.
Old 21st January 2008, 21:52   #19
BHPian

Please answer my question too !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
Old 21st January 2008, 21:53   #20
BHPian

LBM bai ji n Deralte,
Great write up's,helped a lot in knowing things better!!DerALTE,i took time to understand your post though!!
LBM BAI ji,it would be more helpfull if you conduct the copper test of two cables,if possible of different brands of cable.Put up the findings in the STICKY thread which is on power cable..
Cheers!

Last edited by Gill : 21st January 2008 at 21:54.
Old 21st January 2008, 22:17   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So the normal house hold wire company fall short by approx 1 mmsq from what they claim it to be so it is less than 1 % short.

Normally if we take 4 awg wire it is compared to 25 mmsq indian wire so we are 6 mmsq short that is nearly 25 % less. But according to the American standard it is 21.3 mmsq so we are approx 9 % short still.
Few correction guys the house hold wire is 4 % less and according to the AWG standard it is 11 % short.

Sorry for the error.
Old 21st January 2008, 23:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please answer my question too !!
Thats a pretty decent RC cable, Have been using Scosche cables for a long time for many installs and none have given a problem till now. Good VFM, but you can get it in India itself for Rs 750, so buying on crutchfield is no sense at all.
Old 22nd January 2008, 05:08   #23
BHPian

Quote:
The outside diameter of the household wire is 11.1 mm and that of the caraudio wala was of 10.5 mm. It show that the insulation is thicker in the case of caraudio wala cable
Car Audio cable has lesser outer diameter and that shows that it has thicker insulation.
Please explain.

P.S.>> Mitutoyo is very accurate. I have used it in bikes, and can confirm the accuracy part. What model are you using?
Old 22nd January 2008, 05:48   #24
Team-BHP Support

eBay

Have you tried eBay? The Scosche kits are available for $10 ($25 incl. shipping within the US).
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraven316 View Post
Good VFM, but you can get it in India itself for Rs 750, so buying on crutchfield is no sense at all.
I agree - you can use Crutchfield as a base for what you're looking for and buy it from elsewhere - cheaper. No sense having your friend lug just a pair of RCA cables all the way across a few continents & oceans.

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd January 2008 at 05:50.
Old 22nd January 2008, 10:03   #25
BHPian

How good are the Rockford fosgate cables ?
Old 22nd January 2008, 11:13   #26
Senior - BHPian

WOW! thats some interesting findings LBM. Given the differences as you pointed out, I think its wiser to go in for household wala cables (yeah I have savings on my mind!) as (to me) apart from the flexibility issues, there's nothing much to gain. Baaki toh, there is no end to spending money (I think I'll leave it like this else you'll get offended ;-))

Thanks for the inputs, but couple of things here:

1. Please go ahead with copper testing and post the results here. I'm supposed to buy cables and this would be something helpful to me.
2. Please let us know the brand names of the wires that you used.

Last edited by panky12345 : 22nd January 2008 at 11:19.
Old 22nd January 2008, 11:39   #27
Senior - BHPian

Abe LBM, kya yaar? Pet pe laat? Just ordered a big shipment of uber cool cables.

I'm sure you can do 6dB more than your current XXX.X dB if you use my high quality car audio cable.
Old 22nd January 2008, 13:15   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Abe LBM, kya yaar? Pet pe laat? Just ordered a big shipment of uber cool cables.

I'm sure you can do 6dB more than your current XXX.X dB if you use my high quality car audio cable.
Like I said earlier car audio cable is usually more flexible than typical power cable. Also some power cable is not OFC and that reduces it's conductivity.

But if one got typical multistrand power cable that was as flexible and had the same grade of copper as the power cable used in audio it would work just as good.
Old 22nd January 2008, 13:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
But if one got typical multistrand power cable that was as flexible and had the same grade of copper as the power cable used in audio it would work just as good.
and one good desi brand would be ???
Old 22nd January 2008, 15:17   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How good are the Rockford fosgate cables ?
They make some really nice speaker cables. Stick to monster, if getting from US. You'll find some great deals @ ebay.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks