Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2008, 19:10   #1

Absolute quality setup.

Firstly I would like to apologize if this question has been asked before, I did use the search feature but couldn't find something similar.

Secondly this is my first thread/post on team-bhp and am looking forward to some support from all of you.

Now to get to the point, I am planning to upgrade the ICE system of my car. As I pointed out earlier I did read a lot about ICE in some other interesting threads but my situation is a little different. I want a complete sound quality system, also I am not a bass freak (no offense) so a sub is not required. All I am looking for is a good pair of components in the front and a pair of coaxials at the back (or do the gurus suggest comps at the back too?). Mostly I listen to electronic, alternative rock along with some pop. The kind of sound I'm looking for is crisp, sharp and clear (for eg. when you hear a drum roll, you actually feel the snap after each beat, it does not get mixed with other sounds, similarly when a guitarist plays you can hear the sound made by individual strings). Sound should be neutral, you can say reference quality. As for the budget as I only require 2 pairs of speakers and a 4 channel amp i think 30k should be a good starting point, it can go up from there but the increase in sound quality should be proportional to the increase in cost. Also if you can suggest a system that absolutely meets my demands then I may shell out the required dough. All your suggestions are welcome and sorry for the long post.cheers:

PS: Don't worry about the HU, its not included in the 30k but suggestions for it would also be welcome!
Old 14th February 2008, 20:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to TBHP ICE

For your requirements (and your location), I'd suggest:

Fronts: Hertz HSK165 (6.5" 2-way comps), 15.5K
Rear: Hertz HCX690 (6x9 coaxials), 10K (approx)
Amp: Audison SRx4 (24K) or Alpine MRV F545 (21K approx).
Wiring: Audison 8AWG wring Kit & 2 pairs of 2-ch RCAs (4.5K approx)

Budget is wayyyy above, I know. But the sound will be worth it. If you want to reduce the budget, I'd suggest getting a less expensive amp, rather than get speakers of a lesser range (The Hertz HiEnergys are pretty laid back, since you mentioned neutral sound. The Energy series are a bit brighter.). The new JBL GTO1004 (at 14K) would a good bet for the Amp. If you get in touch with Gunbir here, he will be able to help you audition the speakers.

You can also audition Infinity Kappas and the middle range of Illusions (Luccent series, I think). The prices are in the range of 11K to 15K.

BTW, which car is this for?

EDIT: Just saw the part about the HU. What is the HU Budget? I'd suggest Alpine. The Alpine 9885 (at 18K with B&W) is a good choice, considering that you'll be staying with a front & rear setup only, with no sub. The 9883 (at 15K with B&W) would be the next best.

Last edited by hydrashok : 14th February 2008 at 20:47.
Old 14th February 2008, 20:50   #3
BHPian

Brilliant Setup suggestion as usual bro Hydrashok !!
Total Sq setup.Would hve done the same myself in the same budget .
Only thing the Hertz HCX690 (6x9 coaxials) are about 14K i think.
Autoclyus buddy i think this will be your best bet in terms of quality. Also the hertz speakers are top of the line speakers apart from the Hertz Mille's which are in a whole Different league in sound and price
Also if you ever need to add a sub and a monoblock later you will atleast have peace of mind in knowing you have just about the best speakers in your now slightly increased budget.
( The increase is complimentery on team-bhp and also the usual side-effect of this forum lol )

Hope this helps buddy.

Last edited by Tool : 14th February 2008 at 20:54.
Old 14th February 2008, 21:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

How much would an Image Dynamics Sub cost?

How does Image Dynamics fare against Audison Sub?
Old 14th February 2008, 21:44   #5

Thanks HS and Tool for the quick reply, and well about the car, I currently have a Swift but am planning to get a Civic this summer. I'm confused, should I ICE up my swift and then shift the setup to the Civic when I get it or should I wait till I get the new car because the system will most definitely be used in that car after I get it. What do you suggest? And also could you mail me Gunbir's business address/details for future reference. Thank again.
Old 14th February 2008, 21:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Welcome to TBHP ICE

For your requirements (and your location), I'd suggest:

Fronts: Hertz HSK165 (6.5" 2-way comps), 15.5K
Rear: Hertz HCX690 (6x9 coaxials), 10K (approx)
Amp: Audison SRx4 (24K) or Alpine MRV F545 (21K approx).
Wiring: Audison 8AWG wring Kit & 2 pairs of 2-ch RCAs (4.5K approx)

Budget is wayyyy above, I know. But the sound will be worth it. If you want to reduce the budget, I'd suggest getting a less expensive amp, rather than get speakers of a lesser range (The Hertz HiEnergys are pretty laid back, since you mentioned neutral sound. The Energy series are a bit brighter.). The new JBL GTO1004 (at 14K) would a good bet for the Amp. If you get in touch with Gunbir here, he will be able to help you audition the speakers.

You can also audition Infinity Kappas and the middle range of Illusions (Luccent series, I think). The prices are in the range of 11K to 15K.

BTW, which car is this for?

EDIT: Just saw the part about the HU. What is the HU Budget? I'd suggest Alpine. The Alpine 9885 (at 18K with B&W) is a good choice, considering that you'll be staying with a front & rear setup only, with no sub. The 9883 (at 15K with B&W) would be the next best.
Just realized you may have meant tht Gunbir has those in his car which reminded me to ask you, cn u suggest some good places in ND to get audio installatios done, ive heard many installations in many of my friends car but was never satisfied with any of them ( most of them being bass buffs didn't help either).
Old 14th February 2008, 21:56   #7
BHPian

umm image dynamics subs are very very good. also audison is yet to take out any speakers..but a birdie told me they are coming soon.
IDQ v2 12'" is about 15-16k
IDQ V3 12" is about 19-20K
ID Max v3 10" is about 28-29k
ID MAX v3 12" is about 31-32K
hope this helps
Old 15th February 2008, 00:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

@autolycus, you can send a PM to Gunbir. His profile page is here.

Gunbir represents Hertz, Audison, Image Dynamics, Genesis, Seas, etc. in India. He is based in New Delhi. Gunbir and Autophile are THE guys to see for a top-class installation in New Delhi. You'll find lots of their installs in the Sound off & Show off section here.

The only place I know of in New Delhi is Driven. Driven is also a member here.

If you're looking for a really good install, I'd wait for the Civic. No sense in spening good money in getting a good install done in the Swift and then ripping it all out for re-installation in the Civic. The Swift will also need quite a bit of damping for it to sound good. The Civic will need less. And in any case, no sense in spending money on damping the Swift if you're going to sell it in a few months. Wait for the Civic
Old 15th February 2008, 13:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autolycus View Post
cn u suggest some good places in ND to get audio installatios done
Get in touch with Gunbir, I'm sure he'll help you figure out that part.
Old 15th February 2008, 13:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

autolycus have you heard Illusions Electra kya ? They are 6.5k speakers but they sound very nice for the price they are sold and they have laid back sound. I think they must be priced at 10k as they sound so good. Few Delhi members have them in there car. I would suggest first listen to few setup before deciding. It might be that what other likes you many not like.
Old 15th February 2008, 15:42   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
@autolycus, you can send a PM to Gunbir. His profile page is here.

Gunbir represents Hertz, Audison, Image Dynamics, Genesis, Seas, etc. in India. He is based in New Delhi. Gunbir and Autophile are THE guys to see for a top-class installation in New Delhi. You'll find lots of their installs in the Sound off & Show off section here.

The only place I know of in New Delhi is Driven. Driven is also a member here.

If you're looking for a really good install, I'd wait for the Civic. No sense in spening good money in getting a good install done in the Swift and then ripping it all out for re-installation in the Civic. The Swift will also need quite a bit of damping for it to sound good. The Civic will need less. And in any case, no sense in spending money on damping the Swift if you're going to sell it in a few months. Wait for the Civic
I was thinking the same thing, also the audison amp u suggestd has a 4x65w rms (correct me if am wrong) whereas the hertz speakers are capable of around 100w; will it be enough to get all the power from them. Won't they distort at higher volumes (not that im gonna listen at those sound levels), i have absolutely no knowledge about matching amp and speaker ratings but this is what i thought of logically. Can you please explain to me the concept if you have the time. Also I was curious as to what would you have recommended to some1 with infinite budget looking for a SQ system (basically I am asking for your dream SQ setup ) and for that matter all of you are welcome to share your dream SQ setups (nd if u wish SPL ones too, I mean I will have to wait till I get the Civic so why not listen to some amazing suggestions in the mean time).
cheers:
Old 17th February 2008, 00:45   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autolycus View Post
I was thinking the same thing, also the audison amp u suggestd has a 4x65w rms (correct me if am wrong) whereas the hertz speakers are capable of around 100w; will it be enough to get all the power from them. Won't they distort at higher volumes (not that im gonna listen at those sound levels), i have absolutely no knowledge about matching amp and speaker ratings but this is what i thought of logically. Can you please explain to me the concept if you have the time. Also I was curious as to what would you have recommended to some1 with infinite budget looking for a SQ system (basically I am asking for your dream SQ setup ) and for that matter all of you are welcome to share your dream SQ setups (nd if u wish SPL ones too, I mean I will have to wait till I get the Civic so why not listen to some amazing suggestions in the mean time).
cheers:
get a hatch or an SUV instead of the civic. then go to gunman. then go to everyone else to get confused. then go to gunman. then go to everyone else to get more confused. then go to gunman. then everyone will try to make you more confused. then go to gunman. then listen to some different setups yourself and get more confused yourself. then go to gunman. he'll say, i told u bro, don't go for the civic. and he'll make to listen to an awesome CRV. and you'll know, all this while, all this discussion about SQ began with a WRONG car. yes, trust me. eventually you'll end up going to gunman. but that's another story. first, you must begin by getting confused. and this is the best place to begin. welcome aboard. may the confusion start... may i present the illusion carbon series/ the polk SR series/ the (i forget the name... which is that other one that the guy in fbd got... the US brand that plays every strum of the guitar and gunman posted??)...

well. for a change here's someone who comes and says 'infinity' for budget. now that calls for the world's best SQ, ain't it?

my dream SQ setup would be a dolby theatre setup with a projector in a DC tempo travellor with those lounge seats. uumm... actually that's not technically an SQ or ICE category... but whatever.
Old 17th February 2008, 01:19   #13
BANNED

Monty needs a full monty!

Stay with Hydra's suggestions. That doesn't make lots of confusions. Before you get confused by reading confusing posts, please head on to Gunbir and listen to some good installs. It'll give you some idea where to start from.
Good ICE setup doesn't need to go thru confusions nor it's necessary that you buy an SUV. With your listening preferences, the Civic can have a good SQ setup. So, don't loose heart. Let the ICEing begin!
Old 18th February 2008, 11:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

I also know some people who got confused then went to gunbir. Got more confused. Got then meet me and got even more confused.
Old 18th February 2008, 12:03   #15

It seems everybody is very much hell bent on confusing me

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks