Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2008, 18:59   #1
BHPian

JBL Component speakers - Queries!

Hi gurus,

I have a few queries pertaining to JBL component speakers. Let me first describe the audio setup in my Hyundai Accent. Got a pioneer head unit, Pioneer ovals at the rear and 5 1/4 pioneer co-axials in the front. I was satisfied with the ovals, but the front speakers were just too bad for my audio tastes. I can see that they vibrate with sound, but feels like most of the sound comes only from the rear ovals which have a rich bass and treble.

I visited the car audio shop close to my house, and he suggested that I go for JBL GT050 components for the front ones as they would provide rich bass and treble from the front side too and later I can choose the amount of sound that comes from the front or rear speakers via the HU. He's quoting Rs. 1800 (with warranty) for the components. However, he didn't have proper answers for the following few questions:
  1. Will there be a power mismatch by replacing coaxials with components?
  2. As the components are heavier, will this lead to constant door rattle problems?
  3. Will it drain the battery faster if I listen to music with engine OFF?
Also, is the price right for JBL components? When I inquired at a different place, they quoted some Rs. 4000 for an American brand (not sure what the name was :( ) Just wanted to make sure that I don't end up buying 'fake' JBLs!

Thanks in advance!

giga
Old 2nd March 2008, 20:41   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigatech2006 View Post
Hi gurus,

I have a few queries pertaining to JBL component speakers. Let me first describe the audio setup in my Hyundai Accent. Got a pioneer head unit, Pioneer ovals at the rear and 5 1/4 pioneer co-axials in the front. I was satisfied with the ovals, but the front speakers were just too bad for my audio tastes. I can see that they vibrate with sound, but feels like most of the sound comes only from the rear ovals which have a rich bass and treble.

I visited the car audio shop close to my house, and he suggested that I go for JBL GT050 components for the front ones as they would provide rich bass and treble from the front side too and later I can choose the amount of sound that comes from the front or rear speakers via the HU. He's quoting Rs. 1800 (with warranty) for the components. However, he didn't have proper answers for the following few questions:
  2. As the components are heavier, will this lead to constant door rattle problems?
Also, is the price right for JBL components? When I inquired at a different place, they quoted some Rs. 4000 for an American brand (not sure what the name was :( ) Just wanted to make sure that I don't end up buying 'fake' JBLs!

Thanks in advance!

giga

Rs.1800 Dont tell me dude..
Old 2nd March 2008, 20:48   #3
BHPian

hey gigatech
Nope should not be a problem at all. Do you have a amplifier? Regardless should not be a problem but a Amp is recommended for good bass and rich sound.

2.As the components are heavier, will this lead to constant door rattle problems?

It might. All depends of the Installer and his work. Generally it should not add to any more rattle. It might if you have bits loose behind the door panels .Investing in some sound dampening will help you here . Also not to mention the huge increase in sound quality that you get by dampening

Yes it will. The battery depends on the alternator for its charging. If the engine is off the alternator is not running. Hence you battery is not charging at that time.On small systems without amps this is generally ok but again its something i wont do. Puts a lot of strain on the electricals of the car. Also if you have a dying or old battery then this can kill it for you. Its voltage will fall and beyond a certain point in worst cases it wont have enough charge left to start (crank) your engine.
Each battery has a CCA rating (cold cranking amps). In short this is the max power the battery can give out to start your car at a particular temperature. Usually 20 or 25 Deg centigrade.Also batteries need a base voltage of 12.2 Volts at least. If the level drops below that then you have battery failure.

As for the price of JBL's i have no clue but Sam Sirji will surely help you on that front.
hope this helped.
boom
Old 2nd March 2008, 21:50   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitabc View Post
Rs.1800 Dont tell me dude..
Is it cheap or costly??
Old 2nd March 2008, 23:21   #5
JPL
BHPian

Quote:
Is it cheap or costly??
Toooo cheap bro.. some misunderstanding I guess, please recheck.

Check this out http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/632878-post141.html

Edit: seems like you were quoted for the coaxes 502 (5.25") - Rs.1995/ http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/623380-post134.html

Last edited by JPL : 2nd March 2008 at 23:23.
Old 2nd March 2008, 23:54   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPL View Post
Toooo cheap bro.. some misunderstanding I guess, please recheck.

Check this out http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/632878-post141.html

Edit: seems like you were quoted for the coaxes 502 (5.25") - Rs.1995/ http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/623380-post134.html
Even I had the same feeling, tht's why asked for the price! I even opened up the speaker packing (it was written 2-way component on the packing), and found similar speakers found in the pics Package mentioned manufacturing date of Nov 07, and was made in Malaysia. So, the question is how do I identify whether the speakers are components or coaxials?? any leads on this?

giga
Old 3rd March 2008, 00:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even I had the same feeling, tht's why asked for the price! I even opened up the speaker packing (it was written 2-way component on the packing), and found similar speakers found in the pics Package mentioned manufacturing date of Nov 07, and was made in Malaysia. So, the question is how do I identify whether the speakers are components or coaxials?? any leads on this?

giga
JBL Home Audio - JBL Car Audio - JBL Marine Audio - JBL Home Theater, Theater Systems, Speakers, Stereo, Electronics, Surround Sound Systems - Official Home Page

this site should give you good info on the model numbers of the speakers andthe series and other technical information.

now do you have an amplifier? if so please give the exact model number so that you can be suggested a component speaker or you can search this forum it has been discussed alot of times here.

search in the sound off and show off section there i think you will find a few installs and should give you a good idea about how the installs are done in a proper way.

now coming back to the prices the components start at around 4000 bucks the entry level CS series from JBL with bill and warranty please check out the models.

there are other brands like the infinity, rockford fosgate, illusions, kicker, polk audio, hertz, for the speakers and many more too. and there are a bunch of brands for the amps like wise.

i suggest you do your how work by searching this forum before you spend your money! after all you would want to buy the best the amount you spend can buy right?
Old 3rd March 2008, 07:59   #8
JPL
BHPian

Quote:

giga
component speakers come with a speaker, tweeter and a crossover. like here

http://www.alphacaraudio.co.uk/image...TE/GTO607c.jpg

Coax dont come separate tweeter and a crossover. The tweeter is built on to the speaker !!
Old 3rd March 2008, 15:00   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post

now do you have an amplifier? if so please give the exact model number so that you can be suggested a component speaker or you can search this forum it has been discussed alot of times here.
I dont have an amplifier. I just wanted to enhance the sound experience on the front side of the car as the present coaxs produce low bass sound but you really have to make sure that they are working sometimes. Most of the sound is from the rear ovals as I mentioned earlier!

Quote:
component speakers come with a speaker, tweeter and a crossover. like here

http://www.alphacaraudio.co.uk/image...TE/GTO607c.jpg

Coax dont come separate tweeter and a crossover. The tweeter is built on to the speaker !!
Well, this makes me think, I saw neither separate speakers nor crossovers in the box, though it was mentioned 2-way component on the box! Probably they are jus coaxs inside a component box Thanks for this enlightenment! But are the coaxs so costly that they can be sold for Rs.1800?
Old 3rd March 2008, 15:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Package mentioned manufacturing date of Nov 07, and was made in Malaysia.
I dont think those JBL speakers are made in Malaysia. Not sure. Please consult Sam before going ahead with this. He should be able to help you "spot the not".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks