Milind
Old 2nd February 2005, 16:45   #17
BHPian

Thanks milind..have downloaded the same
Old 3rd February 2005, 16:46   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni
I wish to have a 12 inch sub (200 rms max) and a suitable amplifier. The enclosure can be made big to suit the hall characteristics.
Hi Muni,

Let me see if i have understood u correctly -

You plan to use the H&K to drive car speakers ie 5" or 6x9s or the likes,
And you plan to get a second amp for the 12" sub.

Regarding the impedance, check at the back of your current amp, i have a yamaha and it has a switch at the back that allows the switching between 4,6&8 Ohms if i am not mistaken.

Which amp do you plan to use to drive the sub? will it be a car amp (in which case getting a 220v>12-14v power supply which can pump out sufficient ampereage may be quite difficult....

sounds like an interesting project, i was considering it myself some time back,
let me know,
R
Old 3rd February 2005, 16:51   #19
BHPian

Please send me at km@vulken.co.uk
Old 3rd February 2005, 17:09   #20
BHPian

Check your PM Vulken Auto.
Old 4th February 2005, 10:58   #21
BHPian

@rehaan: Thanks for the reply man..

My existing setup is as follows:

AV reciever: harman kardon AVR5500 (or AVR530!) rated at 70x5 RMS 45Amps of current ( people say this is equivalent to 120X5 of other brands)

Existng speakers: Profx sub woofer 8 inch sub which can take 75 RMS
fronts: profx 3 way tower speakers.. ( one 8 inch+ one 5 inch midrange + 1 inch dome) Each tower can can take 75Rms.
centre speaker: 3 way speaker ( two 5 inch kevlar + 1 silk dome tweeter) rated at 75 Rms
Rear speaker: Profx 2 way ( 1 inch titanium dome+ 6 inch aluminium cone woofer) can take upto 75 Rms)

The profx sub is the weak link as it cannot pound bass to my liking. I wish to add a car sub instead of the existing one.

I wish to go as follows..

1) get a 12 inch sub ( pioneer/sony/Any gud make) + Car sub amplifier to drive the sub with proper inputs to match the AV recievers outs+ an enclosure custom made+ A DC to Ac converter to power the car sub amp.

These are my requirements..Do you c any problems in getting the same and any drawbacks..as i think that this can form a very gud setup for Home theatre.

Can you suggest where i can get these and which brand to look for..I live in bangalore..

Thanks

Last edited by muni : 4th February 2005 at 11:03.
Old 5th February 2005, 00:06   #22
BHPian

pls send me the pdf at amitverma4587@hotmail.com.
thanks
Old 8th February 2005, 03:07   #23
Team-BHP Support

Hi Muni,

Sorry for the late reply.

Well, the fact that your L & R speakers have woofers the same size as your sub is kinda ironic anyway....

It is possible that your not satisfied with your sub because your amp is not doing it justice..(setup & settings wise).. hence i would like to know how exactly ur sub is connected to your H/K?
Also, most amps have a setting for relative subwoofer level, see if you can adjust that. (usually goes from -20db to 0db). (As well as the 5500 havine bass settings for individual chanels?)

Quote:
+ Car sub amplifier to drive the sub with proper inputs to match the AV recievers outs+ an enclosure custom made+ A DC to Ac converter to power the car sub amp.
-99% it will be RCA inputs, so that is conveineint.
-Enclosure - search for thread on TBHP for some info, there is one, seem to be some experts around as well as some good software u can search the net for which will calculate box dimensions etc. (blaubox being an example by blaupunkt)
-You mean AC>DC, IMO this may be the weakest link, depending on the quality of the transformer.

Seems like a fairly simple project and definitely sounds interesting enough to try! (personally im very keen to know how it goes coz i might just follow in your footsteps)

Have you googled for similar projects? im sure it has been done tonns of times..... i havent had the time to check...let me know if you find any good links.

cya
R
Old 8th February 2005, 05:12   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni
I have a query....can i have a car sub say 12inches+amp+enclosure as a home theater sub for my av reciever...

12 inched subs for hometheatre are quite expensive and does the Car Sub have any advantages or disadvanatges..

Any inputs guys?
Yes you can technically but you would have to run it with a Pro/Home amp like QSC and would have to hunt for some good drivers besides the Pio, Sony crap if you want to drive them real low, also your enclosure would be one of the most important ingredient and you would have to read up and see whats better for your setup a Ported or a Sealed box design.

Satyam.

PS:If you need more info PM me.
Old 8th February 2005, 05:40   #25
Team-BHP Support

Good point,

A non-car amp for the sub makes a bit more sense...
Why were you considering a car amp muni? was it just due to price?

R
Old 8th February 2005, 15:09   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
Good point,

A non-car amp for the sub makes a bit more sense...
Why were you considering a car amp muni? was it just due to price?

R

U r right, price is one of the factors for sure as a 12 inched active sub from a gud comapany costs quite a fortune...

Havent tried googlism for this but something says the car sub option may workout relatively cheap without much of a quality loss and moreover you can have a sense of satisfaction that you had something to with that woofer

U say a non car sub amp would be better...but do we have these good amps sold seperately?
Old 8th February 2005, 21:59   #27
Team-BHP Support

Muni,

One of the main reasons i say a non-car amp would make more sense if because then you will not need the 220AC>14DC transformer.

Quote:
i would like to know how exactly ur sub is connected to your H/K?
??

cya
R
Old 9th February 2005, 00:55   #28
Senior - BHPian

plz send me a copy too...
Old 9th February 2005, 17:31   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
Muni,

One of the main reasons i say a non-car amp would make more sense if because then you will not need the 220AC>14DC transformer.

??

cya
R

The Sub is connected to the H/K thru a RCA type out from the reciever. The HK has settings wherein i can set the cutoff freq of the sub from 120 Hz to 60 Hz.

Also, since the car woofers are primarily 4 ohms and the normal Hometheatre sub amps are for 8 ohm drivers if am not mistaken. Wouldnt that mean that the driver would draw a lot of current and damage the amplifier..or a higher rating amp can do the trick..

are there home theatre amps available in the market which can be used..will that work out?

you can get all the details of the outputs available if u click and download from the following link or u can gimme ur mail ID so i can send the same to you

Harmankardon AVR5500 reciever manual

My budget can go upto 15K and a normal car sub setup works out less than or just abt 10K if am not wrong..

Pls do let me know if u need some otherinfo

Last edited by muni : 9th February 2005 at 17:34.
Old 10th February 2005, 12:04   #30
Team-BHP Support

Just a tidbit -

Quote:
Do a search and you'll find numerous topics about this. In general, car subwoofers are designed to be used in a different environment than home subs (small enclosures, cabin gain, high power handling.) This sometimes makes them a poor match for the home environment.

There are car subs that will work fine in your home, but generally speaking you can find a home audio sub that will perform as good (if not better) for less money. If you start really looking at the specs on these ultra-high end car subs, you will find that they are not that extrodinary at all (with few exceptions.)
Source
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks