Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2008, 21:51   #1
BHPian

putting amplifier under the seat ?

helooo guys,

i'm thinking about placing my amplifier (JBL CS 60.4) under the rear seat of my car (Maruti Suzuki Wagon R). i don't want to place it in the boot since i don't want to sacrifice boot space nor spoil the fun of reclining rear seats.

what are the precautions to be taken while putting an amplifier under the seat. (Rear seat in this case).

is it ok if i cover the amplifier with cloth/plastic cover or something to protect it from dust/soil? will that effect the cooling of the amplifier ?

i don't want to place the amplifer under the front seats because dust and soil always gets accumulated there.
Old 12th April 2008, 21:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

The amps I've seen are installed on the sidewalls where they lead an unobtrusive existence. I doubt if they can decrease your boot space or interfere with the back rest at all
Old 12th April 2008, 22:33   #3
BANNED

how can you fix the amplifier under the rear seat dude...???? i dont think there will be any place to put an amplifier iunder the rear seat..

i placed my amplifier under the front co-passenger seat and didnt face any peoblem till now...
Old 13th April 2008, 11:35   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
The amps I've seen are installed on the sidewalls where they lead an unobtrusive existence. I doubt if they can decrease your boot space or interfere with the back rest at all
hi greenhorn, installing the amplifier on the sidewalls of the boot does not decrease boot space but it sure hinders the reclining rear seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenopio View Post
how can you fix the amplifier under the rear seat dude...???? i dont think there will be any place to put an amplifier iunder the rear seat..

i placed my amplifier under the front co-passenger seat and didnt face any peoblem till now...
hi zenopio, there is enough space (height, width and depth) under the rear seats of the Wagon R to place 3 amplifiers.

is your car a Wagon R? i feel that the area under the front seats of the Wagon R is too open/exposed.
Old 13th April 2008, 11:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnuvijay View Post
hi zenopio, there is enough space (height, width and depth) under the rear seats of the Wagon R to place 3 amplifiers.

is your car a Wagon R? i feel that the area under the front seats of the Wagon R is too open/exposed.
Does the space under the rear seat have enough ventilation? If yes go ahead and fix it there. Otherwise don't as amps generate heat.
Old 13th April 2008, 12:34   #6
BANNED

dont cover the amp it should be placed in area where there is proper ventilation so that amp can loose the heat produced
Old 13th April 2008, 13:51   #7
BANNED

i would suggest placing it on the back of the rear seat.
Old 13th April 2008, 15:35   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
i would suggest placing it on the back of the rear seat.
u mean like fixing a plywood/mdf board on the back of the rear seat and placing the amplifier on in?

the levers/buttons for reclining the rear seats is on the back of the rear seat. i'm not sure about how this mechanism works. i don't know whether i can fix a board on the back of the rear seats.

images 1 and 2 shows the space under the rear seats.

image 3 shows the rear seat in one of the many upright positions and also the lever/pull button for the recliner.

image 4 shows the seats fully reclined.

image 5 shows the ample space in the sidewall, but it will hinder the reclining action of the seats.
Attached Thumbnails
putting amplifier under the seat ?-dsc00586.jpg  

putting amplifier under the seat ?-dsc00587.jpg  

putting amplifier under the seat ?-dsc00589.jpg  

putting amplifier under the seat ?-dsc00590.jpg  

putting amplifier under the seat ?-dsc00591.jpg  

Old 13th April 2008, 15:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

If you'd like to keep the option of reclining the seats, I think under the rear-seat seems to be the best option here.

The amp can be fitted and tuned after removing the seats. There does seem to be enough space down there.

Maybe the amp can be fitted onto one of the seats by still keeping the reclining angle intact, but in this case, I think under the rear-seats is the best choice.
Old 13th April 2008, 15:57   #10
BHPian

thank you hydra. and congratulations on the new hot hydra's hatch.

then i think i'll go with the under rear seat option. should i build a cage/cover with some wire mesh/grill which will still provide ventillation?
Old 13th April 2008, 16:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Thank you, Vishnu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnuvijay View Post
then i think i'll go with the under rear seat option. should i build a cage/cover with some wire mesh/grill which will still provide ventillation?
In that position, I don't think that is required at all. There will be enough ventilation (it is open enough and not under a carpet or anything), and a grille is not needed, as there is no way anything is going to touch it or push against it when it is under the rear seat, going by the pics.

I hope the under-seat area will not reduce to the point where some weight will rest on the amp when somebody sits on the rear seat?

What you will need to be careful of, is the water-service guys getting water on the amp while washing the car. Dust will also be a bit of an issue, but dust and dirt will be much lesser here, than in an under-front-seat location. Just give the under-seat area a vacuuming once in 2 weeks or so.
Old 13th April 2008, 16:14   #12
BHPian

I was thinking of the same thing in my Estilo (which for those who don't know is very similar to the WagonR). Here are a couple of pics. Is the space good enough for an amp, and possibly a carputer? I mean that in terms of fire safety / heating issues etc. is this a good place?

Like the original poster, sidewalls and behind the rear seat is not an option for me.

Here are a couple of pics:
Attached Thumbnails
putting amplifier under the seat ?-img_0550_small.jpg  

putting amplifier under the seat ?-img_0553_small.jpg  

Old 13th April 2008, 23:38   #13
BANNED

wow i never know that wagano r has so much lpace under the rear seats ...good man just go for it place the amps under the rear seats ...
Old 14th April 2008, 00:46   #14
BHPian

^ I didn't either till a couple of days back when I dropped something in the back. My first reaction was: "What the?" and I thought they had skimped on seating or something. It seemed cheap. But then I thought, "oh sweet, space for an amp and a carputer!"

So an amp at least will go there sometime soon (i.e. could be tomorrow, could be 4 months from now).
Old 14th April 2008, 00:56   #15
BANNED

Take your wagonR to your installer. Put as much amps as you want below the rear seats as that's the best location in your car.
Don't worry about insulation/cover etc.... It's perfect there.

Btw, what amps do you plan to put in? If they're quiet high, you may have some problems fitting it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks