BHPian

Swift + Pioneer + Polk + JBL = Nirvana

HU: P5050UB - Rs 6,400
Front: Polk db6501 - Rs 5,300
Rear: Polk Momo MMC690 - Rs 6,000
Amplifier: JBL GT5 604 - 4 channel amplifier - Rs 5,000
SCOSCHE E400 - 400 WATT AMPLIFIER WIRING KIT
SCOSCHE wiring all around

(Installation cost Rs 4,500 and was done by none other than Blueraven's team.)

All in all around 28K of hardware and services for quality music :-)

Shortlist: My objective in shortlisting speakers was based on bass and clarity. I did not want to go for a subwoofer for two reasons; First I dont like that too thumping bass and second I did not want to compromise on boot space. Since I was not going for a subwoofer I decided on Polk Momo's for the rear after checking with Satya.

First Impressions: The Polk components are very clear but also a little bright, this can however be easily rectified by tweaking your settings (Satya does a good job on that). The momo 6x9's on the other hand have crazy amounts of tight bass and clarity and easily drown the front db components so you will need to play with the juice from the amplifier to get the front-rear combination right.

I can't beleive that even at 45 volume level there is excellent clarity and tremendous bass all around. Trance sounds awesome and Rock is very hard hitting thanks to the momos. Its just been a few days since I got it installed which means that I am still in the coil burn in period, So the music will only get better with time. I have not got any damping done and the Swift is pretty much holding up at the moment with no jarring on almost all tracks at 45 volume level. cheers:

About the install: Satya's boys have done a good install, couple of things I really liked about Satya was that first he never pushed any brand and second he spent a lot of time with each customer to explain and help choose the right setup.

All equipment except wiring sourced from Mishrimal, National Market. (w/o b&w)

PS: Make sure you open and check all the speakers components while purchasing in grey as one of my speakers were broken and had to be exchanged the next day.

Pictures coming soon!
Old 23rd April 2008, 00:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
HU: P5050UB - Rs 6,400
Front: Polk db6501 - Rs 5,300
Rear: Polk Momo MMC690 - Rs 6,000
Nice equipment bharath and glad that you are enjoying music.
Which all did you audition and how do you compare Polk comp with other entry level components ?

Last edited by maxbhp : 23rd April 2008 at 00:56.
Old 23rd April 2008, 09:31   #3
BHPian

Nice setup Bharat. Just wondering why didn't you go for dampening ?

Believe satya did a great job with his mischief :-)

Waiting for your pictures
Old 23rd April 2008, 09:51   #4
BHPian

Great Install you have, post some pics please.
Old 23rd April 2008, 10:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Great setup. Congrats. Please post pics! I am hoping to go for a similar setup soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
- How much did Scosche wiring kit cost you?

- Did you look at other 6x9 speakers before finalizing on Polk? (e.g. JBL GTO937, Ground Zero etc).

- Did you compare GT5 604 with other similar amplifiers in that price range? (Kenwood 8401 or Blaupunkt GT4)?
Old 23rd April 2008, 11:46   #6
BHPian

Hi Bharat, so did blue do only the install, or did he source the stuff for you. I have checked out the stuff at national, but would not go for speakers without b/w. the rest of the stuff is ok as there are no moving parts at all, at least not like the speakers. Have been burnt in the past and therefore took the b&w option this time around for the speakers. But all in all a great setup and would love to hear them sometime. Blue is a great guy to get your ICE done in Blore. Cheers and best of luck.
Old 23rd April 2008, 13:37   #7
BHPian

PICS PLEASE!

(and yes, twenty characters)
Old 24th April 2008, 00:14   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Hi Bharat, so did blue do only the install, or did he source the stuff for you. I have checked out the stuff at national, but would not go for speakers without b/w. the rest of the stuff is ok as there are no moving parts at all, at least not like the speakers. Have been burnt in the past and therefore took the b&w option this time around for the speakers. But all in all a great setup and would love to hear them sometime. Blue is a great guy to get your ICE done in Blore. Cheers and best of luck.
Hi Maverick,
The momos retail for 12,500 and my logic was that I could pick up two sets speakers for that price in grey. in other words if one set goes I can always get another one. Besides warranty is generally for an year only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Great setup. Congrats. Please post pics! I am hoping to go for a similar setup soon.

- How much did Scosche wiring kit cost you?

- Did you look at other 6x9 speakers before finalizing on Polk? (e.g. JBL GTO937, Ground Zero etc).

- Did you compare GT5 604 with other similar amplifiers in that price range? (Kenwood 8401 or Blaupunkt GT4)?
In terms of auditioning other euipment, I did a misture of auditioning and also talking to experts like satya.

In the 6x9 range I listened to polk db's, 937 and infinity reference. The polk and infinity were clear and had decent bass, the 937 on the other hand had good bass (rock sounds good on 937) but clarity was a problem.

For the rest of the speakers I could not audition I spoke to Satya, he his pretty neutral like I already pointed out and you can go by his word in shortlisting the speakers.

The amp wiring kit plus the scosche wiring was part of the 4500 package so I dont have the individual prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Nice setup Bharat. Just wondering why didn't you go for dampening ?

Believe satya did a great job with his mischief :-)

Waiting for your pictures
Yup I beleive Satya did his usual magic :-)

Satya said that I need not go for damping unless I go for a subwoofer. My Swift is new so it is pretty much holding up at the moment, probably will have to go for damping in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
Nice equipment bharath and glad that you are enjoying music.
Which all did you audition and how do you compare Polk comp with other entry level components ?
Again there were very little possibilities for me to audition the components, I just went by advice by Satya and my own research on the net.

One think you need to keep in mind while auditioning speakers is that every speaker set needs to be tuned through the headunit for optimal perfomance. Bad tuning can result in an excellent speaker sounding bad so make sure you audition the speakers in a car which ahs been tuned properly (try to use the teambhp meets)

Pictures coming over the weekend!
Old 24th April 2008, 13:21   #9
BHPian

hey bharat, congrats on the setup.
can you tell me the performance of polk 6x9 with amp - mainly the bass response.
Old 24th April 2008, 14:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amangujral06 View Post
hey bharat, congrats on the setup.
can you tell me the performance of polk 6x9 with amp - mainly the bass response.
My 2 cents:

The Polk Momo 6X9 is a quite brutal sounding speaker. If one wants some solid loudness and bass running off a 4 Ohm speaker at the same time not sound too noisy, then it makes sense. However the MRP of Rs 12500 is overpriced for the product. I feel it's more worth like Rs 9500, but I might be wrong.
Old 24th April 2008, 22:43   #11
BHPian

thanks for the description blueraven..i thought speakers of that price may sound wonderful.
hey blueraven i have db651 6.5" coax..i am going to fix them in a box instead of rear tray.any idea what volume of box will be good for them? thanx
Old 27th April 2008, 16:33   #12
BHPian

Pictures

As promised here are the pictures

All fitting has been done discrete with Xovers behind the door panel and under rear parcel tray.

Amplifier has gone under the front seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Swift + Pioneer + Polk + JBL = Nirvana-hardware.jpg  

Swift + Pioneer + Polk + JBL = Nirvana-head-unit.jpg  

Swift + Pioneer + Polk + JBL = Nirvana-front-component.jpg  

Swift + Pioneer + Polk + JBL = Nirvana-tweeter.jpg  

Swift + Pioneer + Polk + JBL = Nirvana-momo-coaxial.jpg  

Swift + Pioneer + Polk + JBL = Nirvana-momo-carbon-fibre-bucket.jpg  

Swift + Pioneer + Polk + JBL = Nirvana-amplifier.jpg  

Old 27th April 2008, 18:44   #13
BHPian

The USB cable has been placed by making a hole through the second compartment under the headunit.

Also notice the carbon fibre bucket of the momo's in the 2'nd last snap....High quality stuff.
Old 25th May 2008, 10:41   #14
BHPian

The system setup looks pretty decent.The only thing that the bottom part(where the wires of the USB ) are exposed, conceal it and then make a groove to make only the USB sticking out which will make the system look even more pro.
Old 25th May 2008, 20:24   #15
BHPian

Very neat looking install bharatbs .

And i think 5K is an excellent price for the amp.

@blueraven

Is it true that the Gt5-A604 more prone to cause alternator whine. I was told so by one installer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks