Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2008, 10:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

@ragzv, an amp and new wiring will only improve what is already good - no way that it will remove inherent faults.

Get your system tuned well first, and only then look at adding more stuff. Get together with Kolkata TBHPians, listen to their set ups and discuss with them what should be done. Perhaps it will be a good idea to take one of them along to the installer.
Old 13th May 2008, 12:20   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
@ragzv, an amp and new wiring will only improve what is already good - no way that it will remove inherent faults.

Get your system tuned well first, and only then look at adding more stuff. Get together with Kolkata TBHPians, listen to their set ups and discuss with them what should be done. Perhaps it will be a good idea to take one of them along to the installer.
From inherent faults you mean:

1. Compos should go to the front doors rather than rear parcel shelf
2. The fit should be proper

But the compos has already been installed in the rear with few modifications, will it not spoil the setup further if i remove and try to put back the stock speakers.

I have pmed razor4077 for help.
Old 13th May 2008, 13:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

Exactly. When you are in the driver's seat, most of the 'good' sound from the Boston components on the parcel shelf is already attenuated by the time it reaches you!

No, putting the stock speakers into the rear location will not spoil it any further. Simple MDF fix!

In fact, you can check if 6x9 coaxials will fit in the parcel shelf location. A pair of ovals, with their deeper bass than the stock speakers, will be far better (for the time being) than buying an amp immediately. Can't visualize without pics, but I guess they can go in on MDF spacers and still look elegant. Once you are used to a good system, adding an amp will take you to the next level.
Old 13th May 2008, 13:23   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragzv View Post
But tell me one thing am I wrong to think that JBL 6.5" GTO 607 are superior to Boston S60 with hardly much price diff. BTW MRP printed on the Boston box was Rs. 6161/-
The JBL GTO607C are extremely popular and rightly so. They are excellent components for the price.

Boston Acoustics is a company of good repute and they make good car audio speakers.

One cannot compare. There might be people that prefer the Boston to the JBL. It depends on your ears.
Old 13th May 2008, 13:33   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragzv View Post
Maruti Nippon have gone to another extent to cut costs. They are now providing four 5.25" full range speakers. Two in the front door (this can take 6.5") on spacers and two at the rear. (in fact at the rear the cut in the metal is of 5.25") To fit 6.5" at the rear metal had to be twisted from few edges so now even stock 5.25" may not fit properly.

I have already played around with the Bass/Treble settings. There are three things I need to do:

1. Add an amp
2. Change the wiring
3. Provide a airtight fit to the speakers.
Der Alte bhai has put it so aptly
new wiring and amp is secondary. First fix what is needed
As both of us suggested , put the compos in front and nippons in the back(no problem if the nippons are not "airtight fit" as you say,they are just fillers anyway.Just use some spacers and fit them if the metal is too bent)
And no the speakers wont get spoilt by removing and re fitting

If you ever do install an amp make it a VFM 4 channel (if on budget) and give two channels to the compos and bridge two for the sub(if you have plans for that)-you should end up with a nice system

You dont need to change the rear wiring if your gonna run the nippon (if kept in rear)speakers from the stock HU.the stock wires are good enough.
just have the wiring checked
Old 13th May 2008, 13:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
My first recommendation to you would be to verbally slap that installer
Whoa Nitrous ! Chill re. Better option would be to ensure that all the people you know, do not go to him. And then when he starts loosing business, he will see light.
Old 13th May 2008, 15:28   #22
BHPian

Ok Guys,

I am going to the installer tomorrow and getting the compos relocated to the front.

The problem with the Nippons is that being full range there is hardly any sound clarity. No bass no highs. Only mid. And when I add a sub (next month), for rear passengers it may not be very pleasant to the ears. Even if using just as fillers wont it sound better if I get 5.25" 2 way co-axials at the rear (I will be adding Amp & Sub next month)
Old 13th May 2008, 18:01   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hey Raghav,
Just got your PM. Who is the installer in question?
Old 13th May 2008, 18:24   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Hey Raghav,
Just got your PM. Who is the installer in question?
I was trying to refrain from this. It is Samir's. I am going to him tomorrow. Its not that I don't know Ravi (owner), I have been going to him from the last 10 yrs. BUT HIS INSTALLERS ARE.........
Old 16th May 2008, 15:50   #25

What i think Ramee is trying to say is that u should be using Line output converters which would take the speaker wires that come out of ur factory HU and convert them into RC outs so that u can connect them into ur amplifier via RC cables

looking at ur options u should take a serious look at the Kenwood as it has a High level input option which would allow u to connect the speaker wires to ur amplifier directly

have a look at the pics attached to get a better idea of what the Line out put converter looks like. it should be readlily available at your local installer for arount 400rs odd

Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Has my installer taken me for a ride??-img00030.jpg  

Has my installer taken me for a ride??-img00031.jpg  

Old 16th May 2008, 17:14   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. boombastic View Post
What i think Ramee is trying to say is that u should be using Line output converters which would take the speaker wires that come out of ur factory HU and convert them into RC outs so that u can connect them into ur amplifier via RC cables

looking at ur options u should take a serious look at the Kenwood as it has a High level input option which would allow u to connect the speaker wires to ur amplifier directly

have a look at the pics attached to get a better idea of what the Line out put converter looks like. it should be readlily available at your local installer for arount 400rs odd

Hope this helps
Hi Mr. boombastic,

I may not need that after all as my HU has one set of Aux out which i will divide into two thru a Y-cable. A good quality Y cable of Monster/Soundstream costs around Rs. 500 a piece.
Old 18th May 2008, 00:43   #27
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Today finally decided to go to another installer (Glix). I took reference of Team BHP and was welcomed. Vinay (of Glix) mentioned several members of team bhp who in recent times got systems installed from him.

This is what we did:

1. Relocated the Boston compos to the front (door)
2. Fitted JBL GT-5 6.5" co-axials at the rear parcel shelf
3. Fitted JBL GT-5 604 amp
4. Fitted JBL 12" bass tube
Powering the sub n compos from the amp.

And yes the sound is WAY better. Very happy by the way the Bostons sound. BUT
1. The rear 6.5 co-axials run out of steam very soon. Had to fader it to 30% less.
2. The sound of the tube seems to have limited to the trunk because when the trunk lid is opened the bass almost doubles up.

To remedy point no.1, Vinay suggested changing from 6.5" co-axials to 6x9s which will be able to handle high volumes better and also provide a better 'punch'
To remedy point no.2 , I wanted a cut of about 6"x10" on the rear parcel shelf so that sound from the bass tube can travel inside the cabin.

Hope these things should do the trick.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks