Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2008, 18:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

GTO 608 Component Speaker - Part of the newly released JBL 8 Series

The new GTO series component speakers came in, tested the first set out, the tweeter and mid woofer looks to be the same , what i really liked was that the crossover is completely new, the old crossover had 2 tweeter settings like 0db and +3db , which made the speaker sound bright and BRIGHTER!!!
Now the new crossover has 0 and -6DB settings which is ideal, on the 0db setting it was the same old signature bright sound, on the -6DB setting the speaker actually sounded quite pleasant comparitively.
Attached Thumbnails
GTO 608 Component Speaker - Part of the newly released JBL 8 Series-0723_171227.jpg  

Old 23rd July 2008, 18:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

satya , thanks for sharing, but could we have some digicam pics ? I cant make out the woofer cone material or its construction. alternately, any links ? google didnt help !
Old 23rd July 2008, 18:34   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraven316 View Post
Now the new crossover has 0 and -6DB settings which is ideal, on the 0db setting it was the same old signature bright sound, on the -6DB setting the speaker actually sounded quite pleasant comparitively.
Thank you. I'm surprised you got the 8 series already and I'm not surprised at your review.

JBL has been taking feedback across the world and while its signature sound was appreciated, the -6DB allows them to be used by people with a completely different taste.

Greenhorn, these products are hot off the oven, GTO8series and will take a few days to be available online.

I guess this is a good time to inform you guys that all GTO7 series products have been discontinued. Also possibly might a good time to ask for a discount from your dealer (who probably still doesn't know that the GTO8 series is out)
Old 23rd July 2008, 19:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraven316 View Post
The new GTO series component speakers came in, tested the first set out, the tweeter and mid woofer looks to be the same , what i really liked was that the crossover is completely new, the old crossover had 2 tweeter settings like 0db and +3db , which made the speaker sound bright and BRIGHTER!!!
Oh, I did not know the old crossover has two settings, the GTO607C. I need to find from Anwar what has been set for me.
Old 23rd July 2008, 20:22   #5
BANNED

Wow! This is good news.
GTO 607s were always a good speaker which suited to the listening preferences of many and hard rock lovers just swore by it's signature sound.

The new setting in the crossover is very very welcomed. This makes the GTO series better allrounder speakers.
Old 23rd July 2008, 21:34   #6
BHPian

Hi,
What's the size of these speakers and what are the other speakers getting launched in this series.i'm on the look out for speakers for my new setup.please keep posting on the new gto's launched.
Old 23rd July 2008, 21:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

@Sam: Will these be priced similar to the 607c?
Old 23rd July 2008, 21:56   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
@Sam: Will these be priced similar to the 607c?
Slightly higher MRP. Also I expect very little discounting, so higher, I guess.
Old 23rd July 2008, 22:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

JBL 8 Series

I would like to know the improvements over the 7 series.
Sam should be the best person to answer.
Old 23rd July 2008, 23:04   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Before I proceed any further, I would simply like to point out the following

-------------------------------------------------

1) I work for JBL - please read the declarations thread.
2) I do not work in sales and I am not promoting or advocating the purchase of any JBL speaker.
3) I will not tell you if the speaker is better or worse or anything. Since Team-BHP is a non-commercial forum, I am not permitted to speak along those lines as this may amount to commercial propaganda.
4) Frankly I think you are all wasting your money - save it, do not buy ANY JBL product. Go see the world with the money you will eventually save.

------------------------------------------

The very successful 7 series GTO line has been discontinued.

The 8 series follows the same product lines as the 7 series - however there is an additional product from the 7 series in a limited edition called the GTO947Ltd.
That product however does not belong on this thread.

The tone and signature sound of the 8 series is similar to the 7 series (some materials differ) however there are some noticeable changes in crossover design that are adapting to the new sound that JBL has been aiming for (just like the new GT5 series)

This clearly means that one thing has changed. The 8 series are not bright at all. The speakers feature a 0db and -3db cut on the highs and the components feature a 0 db and -6db cut on the crossovers.

Cosmetically too, the speakers are very different.

If the mods will permit me, I will put up a never-seen-yet photo of the GTO638 as an example of the new look.
Old 23rd July 2008, 23:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Thank you. I'm surprised you got the 8 series already and I'm not surprised at your review.

JBL has been taking feedback across the world and while its signature sound was appreciated, the -6DB allows them to be used by people with a completely different taste.

I guess this is a good time to inform you guys that all GTO7 series products have been discontinued. Also possibly might a good time to ask for a discount from your dealer (who probably still doesn't know that the GTO8 series is out)
Soft launch! I am surprised!

1) Will the 7 series be sold on discount
2) Will the 7 series evolve into some other versiosn like CS?

Quote:
Before I proceed any further, I would simply like to point out the following

-------------------------------------------------

1) I work for JBL - please read the declarations thread.
2) I do not work in sales and I am not promoting or advocating the purchase of any JBL speaker.
3) I will not tell you if the speaker is better or worse or anything. Since Team-BHP is a non-commercial forum, I am not permitted to speak along those lines as this may amount to commercial propaganda.
4) Frankly I think you are all wasting your money - save it, do not buy ANY JBL product. Go see the world with the money you will eventually save.

------------------------------------------

If the mods will permit me, I will put up a never-seen-yet photo of the GTO638 as an example of the new look.
Should the mod be of this forum

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th July 2008 at 06:32. Reason: Threads merged, posts merged.
Old 23rd July 2008, 23:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This clearly means that one thing has changed. The 8 series are not bright at all. The speakers feature a 0db and -3db cut on the highs and the components feature a 0 db and -6db cut on the crossovers.
Nice one. Waiting for the pics
Old 23rd July 2008, 23:21   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Soft launch! I am surprised!

1) Will the 7 series be sold on discount
2) Will the 7 series evolve into some other versiosn like CS?
Yes. A soft launch. Some commercial reasons behind this - also the launch of other models have put this launch on the backburner.
Even though the official launch is in September 2008, JBL has delivered 8 series products for sale to official dealers in larger cities.

1) I am not sure. The 7 series were already sold at prices lower than MRP. I suppose a storekeeper with both 8 and 7 series on his shelves WILL have to sell the 7 series at a lower price.
2) No. The 7 series have been completely discontinued.

There is however a new version of the extremely popular 6X9 GTO937 called the GTO947Ltd. But that belongs to another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Nice one. Waiting for the pics
One picture. Just to give you an idea of what it looks like.

I have asked the mods for permission, will wait for their reply.

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th July 2008 at 06:44. Reason: Threads & posts merged. Someone should get back to you soon regarding your question.
Old 24th July 2008, 13:22   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What ever happened to buying your lover a dinner with champagne and flowers?
Old 24th July 2008, 13:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

I'm a great fan of JBL , which is why I started this JBL 8 series thread .
Obviously, its too HOT off the oven and we can only expect our JBL man to fill us on the product line and the technical developments.
I'm too eager to know about the new JBL GTO 1214 subwoofer. Sam, please do the honors.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks