Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2008, 16:09   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Bong View Post
One option I can think of is the Kenwood 8401 at 5K (without B&W)...power output is similar to the 75.4 and it sounded pretty clean in all the setups I've heard it in....
Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Sam Bhai any comments.
Well, Bongy is entitled to his opinion and he likes the 8401, what should I comment on LBM?

But in all fairness FB, I do not think you can actually compare the 8401 to the erstwhile 75.4, they are different amplifiers from different leagues.
Old 11th August 2008, 19:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

okay muneem, its JBL CS 60.4 not 50.4 i guess, now for the sub you can get a pio 7300, or JBL cs300.1, or pio 5300 amps and a good sub for a some really good bass. this combo should cost you <10k not more.

Last edited by rider60 : 11th August 2008 at 19:54.
Old 14th October 2008, 01:06   #18
BHPian

The Ice Bug's bitten me again and it's given me a real good itch, I want to change the rear Co-Axial Polk 691 to something else for a betterment of the high frequencies and mid range where shall i look for these qualities ? Alpine R series ? RF ? Polk MOMO/Mobile monitor components ovals ? JBL Power Series ? and I want it below 12 K maximum.

currently having a Pair Polk Db Components up front and a JBL CS50.4 Amp to power these speakers.It's got a Pioneer 6050 HU.

The Focal 6 X 9 coaxial cost around 12K but i am afraid to install them as they are very fragile and could blow up if the volumes are not kept at bay(2 pairs went kaput int the last 10 days at my installer)

Or should i sacrifice my lower frequency for now and get myself a pair of components and install a sub at a later stage ?

Totally confused now , just like any other bhpian who ever posted to know something bout ICE.
Old 14th October 2008, 06:42   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post

The Focal 6 X 9 coaxial cost around 12K but i am afraid to install them as they are very fragile and could blow up if the volumes are not kept at bay(2 pairs went kaput int the last 10 days at my installer)
Something is wrong here.
2pairs gone Kaput in last 10days?
Either the speakers were fakes or the installer smoked something. LOL!
Quote:
Or should i sacrifice my lower frequency for now and get myself a pair of components and install a sub at a later stage ?
Components for rear?
Not worth it.
Instead, get normal 6" coaxials for the rear. Or forget of it now and retain your current coaxials. Later, you can upgrade to a good sub setup.
Old 14th October 2008, 13:21   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Something is wrong here.
2pairs gone Kaput in last 10days?.
when the played did they sound ok? get the amp checked. there is something wrong and i suspect it could be the amp putting out DC or something like that.
Old 14th October 2008, 16:27   #21
BHPian

okay the reasons for the focals burning up were because, the comps were rated at just 60rms and when they didn't hear the thump from the components they thought that it will take more load so they gave it a wee bit more gain and walaa.....Puff it went, on the brighter side they learned an important lesson that day,never feed a little chick more than it can eat.That too at nobody's expense as the speakers came with bill and warrenty..
Old 14th October 2008, 17:53   #22
BANNED

Still, it sounds a bit wierd.
If a speaker is rated at 60W RMS, it means it will be able to play clean stable 60w without any trouble. That's almost 300W peak per channel. :YO!!!
What amp was it connected to?
Old 15th October 2008, 10:39   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
.....Puff it went
usually it is only tweeters that die that way. Midbasses and woofers coplain a lot before dying. that is why I suspect DC.
Old 15th October 2008, 11:05   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
usually it is only tweeters that die that way. Midbasses and woofers coplain a lot before dying. that is why I suspect DC.
Many a time, those complaints are drowned out by the sub section. The problem with most people (installers included) is that they expect every 6x9 to be a sub replacement, when that's not really true of most high end speakers. Most ovals from brands like Focal, Rainbow, Hertz etc will not do big bass at all. They like to be crossed over at 80Hz will do good midbass duty when mated with a sub.

Can't count the number of times dealers call and say "Boss, Clarity bahut accha hai but no bass". I'm like, that's what subs are for.
Old 15th October 2008, 13:41   #25
BHPian

I also started thinking after my last post , cause the amps they used were Hertz EP 4 with output of just 60 X 4 @ 4 ohms.Last year they got 2 Nakamichi Monoblocks of which 2 went kaput and one was sent back to the distributor. I was wondering weather we are getting some kind of stepmotherly treatment,cause it was clearly manufacturing defect. And no I don't think the Focals are fake. And the speakers that they burned up were not the 6 X 9 but 6,1/2" components .
Old 15th October 2008, 14:03   #26
BANNED

So many things going kaphoot? That too from different makes and brands?
Who's handling these things over there?
I think the problem is with the installer at Galaxy. Wild guess.
Old 16th February 2009, 03:43   #27
BHPian

Thinking about installing an 8" Sub on the rear Parcel Tray which already has a 6 X 9 coaxials,it will be powered by the same JBL CS50.4 for the time being. The Sub that i am planning on is the Polk Momo 8" SVC sub, costs around 6.5K but it's the only sub available in 8" with some kind of quality, don't know how this free to air design is going to work out ,lets wait and see.

If everything goes according to plan i.e the sub sounds good,I'll definelty get rid of the 6 X 9 Polk Coaxials and get a proper 6.5" alpine Coaxial for the rear Door.

Suggestions anyone ?
Old 16th February 2009, 07:54   #28
nitin.dangayach

Man I'll be waiting for that 8incher sub install. Would love to see an exhaustive review from you. Even I'll get it if it sounds marginally better than the previous set up. I do have polks and space is a constraint for me as well.

Good luck with the install Muneem.

Old 16th February 2009, 14:47   #29
BANNED

Is the sub designed for free air install?
Else, don't do it.

A sub always sounds and performs best when put in a box. Why don't you just make a small box for it? 8" will not take up much space.
Old 16th February 2009, 15:05   #30
BHPian

Yep seriously thinking about that because the recommended enclosure size seems sooo small. Wouldn't take up much space, but still we'll be carrying 2 coconuts less than the usual

Polk Audio - Car & Marine Audio Speakers

And does this mean that the Box size can be just 12" X 13" X 9ish inch ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks