Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2008, 03:50   #1
BHPian

Amp Install and Rear Speaker Replacement In Swift

Currently the car is running with A Pioneer 6050 Connected directly to a pair of Polk components up front Model Db6501(6,1/2") and 6X9 at the rear Polk DB691 without an amp.

I was thinking about installing the JBL 60.4 Amp for driving these Babies when I saw the new Polk MOMO 6X9 MMC690, these Coaxials come with external crossovers and have Carbon Fiber Cone. but i have severe doubt that the amp that i was planning to install would not be sufficent to power these 6 X 9s , except for the JBL 75.4 what other amp would the Gurus Suggest At a price below 10K ?

And Have anybody tested out these 6 X 9s , will it be worth the effort changing from my current 6 X 9 to the Momos ?

I don't plan to Install a Subwoofer, even if i do it will be a an 8" MOMO series from Polk again.

Space and price is a major constraint for me.

And for no particular reason I love Polk but it's amps are out of my price range.
Old 3rd August 2008, 08:26   #2
BHPian

One option I can think of is the Kenwood 8401 at 5K (without B&W)...power output is similar to the 75.4 and it sounded pretty clean in all the setups I've heard it in....
Old 3rd August 2008, 09:29   #3
BANNED

If you're not planning on a sub later, then don't spend too much on a powerful amp. Get an amp which can put out a stable 65-85w per channel. That will do for most speakers.

Do you like the current setup? Or is there something you want to achieve from the upgrade you're planning?
Otherwise, just adding an amp to the current setup alone will do a lot of improvement.

Last edited by speedzak : 3rd August 2008 at 09:35. Reason: Got confused.
Old 3rd August 2008, 22:44   #4
BHPian

The power output from the Head Unit doesn't justify the performance the speakers can give with a proper amp, the highs seems muted and the mids are not much pronounced,I don't care much about the lows if i wanted that kinda lows I will install a small sub .

Since nothing have came up under the budget that i got in my hand I am going to get the install done tomorrow with a JBL 60 watt per channel amp(GT5-A604), also will have an audition of the Momos and will decide weather to go for it or not.
Old 3rd August 2008, 22:52   #5
BANNED

It makes sense to upgrade to an amp. But there isn't going to be a big gain in the sound if you change the rear speakers alone.
I would rather suggest to spend that money on a better amp. Or get better front speakers.
Old 3rd August 2008, 22:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
Currently the car is running with A Pioneer 6050 Connected directly to a pair of Polk components up front Model Db6501(6,1/2") and 6X9 at the rear Polk DB691 without an amp.

I was thinking about installing the JBL 60.4 Amp for driving these Babies when I saw the new Polk MOMO 6X9 MMC690, these Coaxials come with external crossovers and have Carbon Fiber Cone. but i have severe doubt that the amp that i was planning to install would not be sufficent to power these 6 X 9s , except for the JBL 75.4 what other amp would the Gurus Suggest At a price below 10K ?

And Have anybody tested out these 6 X 9s , will it be worth the effort changing from my current 6 X 9 to the Momos ?

I don't plan to Install a Subwoofer, even if i do it will be a an 8" MOMO series from Polk again.

Space and price is a major constraint for me.

And for no particular reason I love Polk but it's amps are out of my price range.
Oho... looks like somebody's been visiting Galaxy agencies a lil too much... Earth to muneem.... pls run far away... and not in the direction of end effect either!
Old 3rd August 2008, 22:57   #7
BHPian

The thought of adding an amp came only after i heard what an amp can do to the same Front Components on the car , it's a superb Pair Of Components the even though it's a base model Polk, it sounded marginally better than the Hertz Components available at the same price.

@JayD : - Me love Polk, me get Polk at ridicules prices from Galaxy,Me Happy with Polk and Galaxy.

Heard from somebody that End effect will go down the drain if the guys attitude don't change.

Last edited by muneemmk : 3rd August 2008 at 23:02.
Old 3rd August 2008, 23:41   #8
BANNED

Galaxy????

Quote:
Me Happy with Polk and Galaxy.
Hope Galaxy isn't over happy with you too!
But what's the secret, shall we know?
Quote:
Heard from somebody that End effect will go down the drain if the guys attitude don't change.
Attitude is just great. Nothing wrong with it. In fact, they've one of the best customer service attitude in Cochin.
But they're a bit bass and treble heavy now which is not what we need in this town. Every car shop wallah is expert in creating head splitting BAAS. That's not what one expects from a good installer sacrificing quality.
We really hope that will change soon.

Last edited by speedzak : 3rd August 2008 at 23:43.
Old 4th August 2008, 09:42   #9
BHPian

What i meant to say was that, the guys installation,attitude towards customers is okay but never should a new installer in Town say comments like " That guy is 10 years behind me when it comes to install" .

And for your kind information he was talking about the Legendary "Z"ikka.

Galaxy have been my long term friends,ever since in worked in Toyota , but they didn't have Polk then,other wise you guys could have seen a lot of corollas with Polk speakers running around.

I can't understand why you guys don't like my Polka Friends and their Polka Speakers.

Last edited by muneemmk : 4th August 2008 at 09:53.
Old 11th August 2008, 03:04   #10
BHPian

Forgot to mention that I Installed a four channel JBL Amp in the car , it sounds awesome.But now I am in trouble again , the lack of bass is really kicking in with the vocals and instruments so LOUD and clear.
Old 11th August 2008, 07:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

now i see the ICE bug bites all over heeh he he, well if you want to do justice now you will need some good amp and sub to complement those polk comps for sure, what is the amp you currently have? model?
Old 11th August 2008, 07:44   #12
BANNED

Congratulations.

Quote:
Forgot to mention that I Installed a four channel JBL Amp in the car , it sounds awesome.
Congratulations! It's always fair to get a good amp to power decent speakers.
Which model did you get? And what's the major difference you've seen/heard in the setup?
Quote:
But now I am in trouble again , the lack of bass is really kicking in with the vocals and instruments so LOUD and clear.
This is the prime reason to get a sub in the setup if you're looking for low bass. Even a good 10"/8" will do.
If you're worried about Midbass, then there's nothing much to do now other than check the tuning.
Old 11th August 2008, 14:16   #13
BHPian

I Got a JBL CS50.4 Amp 2nd hand for an awesome Price, the vocals can be heard now the mid bass kicks in really good, the lowest frequency is taking a backseat as of now will have to get a sub.

But what I really found out was never ever drive a pair of components without an amp it's total waste,the vocals ohh the sweet vocals it just sounds so awesome.
Old 11th August 2008, 14:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I Got a JBL CS50.4 Amp 2nd hand for an awesome Price, the vocals can be heard now the mid bass kicks in really good, the lowest frequency is taking a backseat as of now will have to get a sub.

But what I really found out was never ever drive a pair of components without an amp it's total waste,the vocals ohh the sweet vocals it just sounds so awesome.
We always recommend an amp for compos.

But then we always recommend a nice sub.

So which sub ? And which amp?
Old 11th August 2008, 15:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Bong View Post
One option I can think of is the Kenwood 8401 at 5K (without B&W)...power output is similar to the 75.4 and it sounded pretty clean in all the setups I've heard it in....
That is news to me...

Sam Bhai any comments.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks