Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2008, 17:03   #1
BHPian

Verna SX HU!

I had taken the delivery of my Verna SX a few weeks ago. Had been travelling so didn't really experiment etc.

It was only this week that I began tinkering out and enjoying the ride!

So the first thing to give me company for a long drive was the ICE!

I burnt a few discs, neatly assorted the music into categories, labelled the discs, even bought a sun visor disc carry-on... Off I was for a few hours of driving...

So I fired the engine, placed the disc seductively into the CD Drives mouth and the motored slot in sucked in the CD and voila, I hear the music play!

ID3 Tags working, changed a few settings... Made funny faces wondering if I should change the ICE... Again tinkered the colour display to make it look a little less loud and soothing. Failed miserably. Thought, "aadmi HU kyun leta hai... gaana sunne ke liye..." and killed the thoughts of a good looking system.

Moving forward, heard a strange clicking sound, which kept snowballing into something bigger and the intervals started to get shorter. Suddenly I hear "screeeeeeeeeech"... Well, the brakes discs were fine, it was the other disc in the HU that screeched to a halt.

I was like OK.. Perhaps a burn, underburn or underrun error., and would it pass. Popped in the next CD... But pappu refuses to go beyond the first song....

I was like OK, so much for burning the disc using iTunes... So I took a U-turn with a clear mandate to myself. Change the Util to burn disc... This time I opened the windows to my XP Machine and loaded an empty CD, burnt a few songs I was dying to listen... and Off I go again...

Only to come back 15 minutes later with @*&^@*(&)(*!@#) in my mind... Pappu can't play saaala!!

So I decide to switch to the other laptop (usually burn discs using this one) and create a CD with a random list of songs... Well the mandate was now zeroed in to check whats wrong, rather than hear a song!

After a few more U-turns, I decided to park the car in the drive-way... And bring my laptop(s) into the car to reduce the time taken to go inside with @#$*&%*(& and come back with hope!

Full on routine later, here are the results:

Moser Baer and Kenwood like each other, but the burning software should be Nero in Data mode.

Some CDs play at 2x, some at 1/2x, some are axed (X'd), and some SKIP!

The player plays these CDs perfectly: Asha Bhonsle Audiobiography MP3 by UMI, Jagjit Singh MP3 by Saregama, Pink Floyd Original Audio CD..... And another CD of 70s Rock Music I burnt using Windows XP earlier in life (purely for back-up purposes)

My earlier pioneer HU has no issues with these CDs. What could be wrong? Any help would be great!

And what can I do?
Old 3rd August 2008, 21:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

I do not prefer Moser Baer
Songs skip in that
recently shifted to Writex. Perfect
I've heard they work brilliantly on Kenwood. Try them to see results.
Old 4th August 2008, 04:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

What model HU is this?
Old 4th August 2008, 09:38   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
What model HU is this?
The Stock HU that comes with the Verna SX is Kenwood DPX-MP4070

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
I do not prefer Moser Baer
Songs skip in that
recently shifted to Writex. Perfect
I've heard they work brilliantly on Kenwood. Try them to see results.
I tried Memorex, Moser Baer and Amkette.... Samsung and Writex next!

Update: I burnt a CD with around 120 songs... Strangely, the first 80-odd play perfectly, and the next 40 have issues...

One thing I had noticed earlier, using Nero to burn in MP3 Mode didn't work with my Pioneer HU too! Data mode worked perfectly.
Old 4th August 2008, 09:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

Have you tried burning with another CD/DVD Writer. Your drive may be the issue too... unless you have already eliminated this possibility.
Old 4th August 2008, 10:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

I don't think its a general issue with the player, it may be specific to your unit, Get it checked. I've played all types of CD's in my friend's Verna HU.
Old 4th August 2008, 19:02   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
I don't think its a general issue with the player, it may be specific to your unit, Get it checked. I've played all types of CD's in my friend's Verna HU.
Hmmm... In that case, should I call Nippon (Kenwood) or take the car to the Dealer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Have you tried burning with another CD/DVD Writer. Your drive may be the issue too... unless you have already eliminated this possibility.
Although I have... But I think there could be a problem with the burner too!
Old 6th August 2008, 15:48   #8

Are some features functional for Kenwood DPX-MP4070 HU in Verna?

Guys,

I am just playing to check the features with DPX-MP4070 HU in my Verna, and I read some features in mannual which am not able to utilize.

1. TEL Mute: This feature to pause ur music when call comes in, but I never experienced any? Does this work or is there any settings to be done?

2. I read this has feature of CD changer: what does this mean? is it that I can play multiple CD's.I tried it but the 2nd CD never pushes in; is there anything am missing here

3. Movies: I see a movie button, and mannual says on how to navigate between movies so my question is -does the player run Movie CDs? I tried playing a Video CD (with no screens), I would see the CD plays but no audio comes

If you have tried these options, please guide me to utilize these features
Old 6th August 2008, 17:26   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakster View Post

1. TEL Mute: This feature to pause ur music when call comes in, but I never experienced any? Does this work or is there any settings to be done?
This units just has an option [cable] that needs to be connected to a car kit [like Nokia]. Then only this option will work.

Quote:
2. I read this has feature of CD changer: what does this mean? is it that I can play multiple CD's.I tried it but the 2nd CD never pushes in; is there anything am missing here
It has an option to connect a external CD changer. DO NOT insert multiple CDs.

Quote:
3. Movies: I see a movie button, and mannual says on how to navigate between movies so my question is -does the player run Movie CDs? I tried playing a Video CD (with no screens), I would see the CD plays but no audio comes
Movie means the rectangular grid that changes pattern in the display. This unit has 8 different patterns and the movie button will allow you select any one or all 8 patterns.
Old 7th August 2008, 12:10   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by varma View Post
It has an option to connect a external CD changer. DO NOT insert multiple CDs.
Thanks Varma.

Any idea where is the Aux point, am not able to see it.
Old 7th August 2008, 16:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Check the User Manual under "Connecting wires to terminals" - it shows a cable coming out of the rear of the unit with 2 RCA sockets for L & R channels.
Old 7th August 2008, 18:07   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Check the User Manual under "Connecting wires to terminals" - it shows a cable coming out of the rear of the unit with 2 RCA sockets for L & R channels.
Thanks DerAlte- I got it
Old 16th August 2008, 00:47   #13
BHPian

For the benefit of others:

- CDs burnt using Nero MP3 CD option don't work
- Windows XP default CD Burner works best
- Ideally burn all MP3s in a single folder
- Verna SX HU doesn't pay Memorex, Amkette and Samsung CDs. Moser Baer and Sony worked the best! Writex was fine, but I am weary of the brand.

Most CDs that didn't work on the Verna HU, didn't work on a Pioneer 4850 and a Sony MP3 player too! So I guess all is fine.
Old 22nd August 2008, 00:04   #14
BHPian

Problem with Verna HU

Hi All,
I recently bought a Verna VGT (W/O ABS) in Kolkata and installed the music system with my limited budget. The current set up is -

HU: Pioneer 5850 (has a USb port in front)
FL/FR : JBL 6 Incher (probably GTO627)
Rear: Sony Xplod 6x9 (Forgot the mode number, it is taken from my Old Zen)

Amp: Sony 2 channel amp
Sub: Sony 12 inch (Both are from my ols car, forgot the model)

But , I'm not totally satisfied with the sound quality it produces. When I put the sound volumn on a little higher end, the front speaker seems to start vibrating.
Secondly, I put the subwoofer in a wooden enclosure and placed in the boot. But, the low refequency response is not really upto the mark. For higher level in the amp, it stats booming rather than proper bass response.

1. How can I stop the vibration in the front doors / speakers?
2. How to improve the subwoofer resonse without changing it.

Gurus, please help me with your suggestions. Anybody fdrom Kolkata can give me a reliable shop name who has good skill for the audio setups? My current setup is done from 'Eastern Motor' near Chaandni market.

P.S: Please don't give suggesiton like changing the speakers/Hu. I'm a poor guy and cannot afford it at this point of time.

Regards
-------------
Bhatmaster
Old 22nd August 2008, 10:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

1. There is a limit to the volume you can push through those speakers with the HU's amp without distorting. More than that, your front door pads are vibrating / rattling. You need to do some damping. If you do not want to spend on damping sheets (~5K), you can DIY with some dense thermocol blocks between the door pad and the inner metal on the door. You have to figure out which areas are vibrating the most and damp those areas as much as possible.

Also, some areas of the edge of the doorpad tend to vibrate more. In those areas, you have to either use a couple of screw (check @rider60's DIY work) or use double-sided tape between the edge of the doorpad and the door metal.

2. The sub you can't do much - it is BAD! It was fine in the Zen, which is a hatchback. In the Verna, where there is limited acoustic coupling between the boot and the cabin, the bass attenuation is too much. You could try reducing the box volume (use bricks in the box), but that will be at the cost of losing some of the low end response. Alternately, you could either
- make an opening in the parcel tray to let the bass into the cabin
- or put the sub on the parcel tray (will be boomy even then),
- or (crazy idea) stuff that Sony sub in a small box under the front passenger seat so that it is close to you (I doubt if you can do that with a 12" sub)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks