Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2008, 00:03   #1
BHPian

poor mid range sound?

hi,
this is my first post here so bear with me if iv posted in the wrong section, i gotta swift and i have a very simple audio setup in my car, it goes somewhat like this, pioneer headunit, pair of pioneer 6'' by 9'' in the rear on a custom built tray, a sony 4 channel amplifier XM-ZR604, a 12" sub sony XS-L120P5H in a custom made mdf enclosure, plain old 500 buck rca, now i know this isnt exactly a great setup but this was all what was available here so had to manage somehow, neways my problem is that though sound is reasonably good but because of absence of front speakers and coz of lotta bass coming from that sub, the mid range is pretty weak, im not a big fan of tweeters and i mostly am interested in mid range vocals and instrumental sound so iv decided to buy a mid range pair of speakers, now my query is what options do i have, whether i should buy a component speaker setup or what, i would love if u guys could recommend something from sony or pioneer preferably coz thats all whats available here, so advise accordingly friends
thanks
p.s. please mention the model number of the product and price too if possible
Old 7th August 2008, 01:40   #2
BANNED

Hi, hello and welcome to Team-bhp.

I would recommend you to get a good 3way component speaker system if your budget allows.
If not, then you can spend some on a good pair of 2way component speakers.

Please reveal the maximum you plan to spend on this upgrade.

As you're in Dehradun, won't it be easier for you to get in touch with one of the ICE gurus in Delhi? I'd suggest you to contact Gunbir for any assistance. He has some good range of products and may also put you onto right people if you need anything else.
Old 7th August 2008, 02:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
As you're in Dehradun, won't it be easier for you to get in touch with one of the ICE gurus in Delhi? I'd suggest you to contact Gunbir for any assistance. He has some good range of products and may also put you onto right people if you need anything else.
There many more good installer in NCR also.
Old 7th August 2008, 07:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Both Pioneer and Sony aren't exactly known for their midrange performance. Why not look for JBL / Blaupunkt in DD, has to be available there for sure. All you need is a pair of good components in the front. See some Swift install thread here for pointers (spacer rings etc) and get it done locally under your supervision.

Cheers!
Old 7th August 2008, 09:02   #5
BHPian

different solution

try this reduce the volume on your subwoofer amplifier so that it only reaches higher volumes as you increase volume on the head unit. that will considerably increase the kind of output you get from the speakers. second reduce the loudness on your head unit. yes it will mean going through the manual and learning that but it'll be good practice. change the balance so that it plays only rears this will help redirect all the sound to only the rear speakers. its a neat little work around without killing your wallet.
Old 7th August 2008, 09:10   #6
BHPian

thanks for the replies, can u point out some model numbers too of jbl or blaupunkt, i dont want to install them in my door, id prefer it on the pillars if possible, is it possible to install a component setup without their woofer counterpart, i mean just the mid range and tweeter and not the sub woofer cone, my budget is 5-6 k, is it possible to get a decent pair of component in this price range, i dont want the best just a decent pair , so say what ???
Old 7th August 2008, 09:14   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
What is the difference between Delhi and NCR?
I thought sab aas paas ek saath hai. Is it closer to DD?
Old 7th August 2008, 14:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by makanaka View Post
... i dont want to install them in my door, id prefer it on the pillars if possible, is it possible to install a component setup without their woofer counterpart, i mean just the mid range and tweeter and not the sub woofer cone, my budget is 5-6 k, is it possible to get a decent pair of component in this price range, i dont want the best just a decent pair , so say what ???
Relax and take it easy, @makanaka, your purse is ruling your mind, not the other way around.
1. Much of the vocal & instrumental information in music spans a rather wide band: ~80Hz (low notes) to ~ 8Khz (basic harmonics of the high notes, which give the tonal character)
2. The "mid-bass" driver of a common component set covers the lower part of this region, till ~4Khz, efficiently. The upper part, starting from ~2Khz, is covered by the tweeter
2. The region below 80 Hz is usually covered by the sub or to some extent by the ovals
3. The region above 8Khz gives the real definition of the high notes because of the higher harmonics of vocals and instruments
4. All these need to be well integrated for your brain to be able to sense the critical information for building an "image"

Miss any of these, and music will be like food without flavor - can be eaten but not much enjoyment. Tabla will sound like pakhawaj, Sunidhi will sound like Himesh and Jagjit like he has a perpetual sinus problem on top of breathing helium.

* The mid-bass is always too large to mount on the pillar, and it needs some air volume behind it to function well
* One gets a mid-range only with 3-way components, and these start at about 20K!
* Swift has standard 6.5" mounting location in the front door, and no modifications are needed except for tweeter mounting
* Browse through the different threads - there are many Swift ICE installation pics here (search)

A decent component set from JBL or Blaupunkt should be 5-6K with b&w, and as Gunbir pointed out, you should be able to get it in Dehradun. If not, ask someone to get you the stuff from Delhi and get them mounted under your supervision - make sure they don't twist wires and leave it, but either solder it to the speaker terminal or use crimping lugs. (Crossovers have screw mounting - hopefully they wont mess *that*)
Old 7th August 2008, 16:38   #9
BHPian

ok, got that, can someone gimme a model no of component speakers which i can get for abt 5-6 k's from jbl or blaupunkt
Old 9th August 2008, 03:56   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
and the good installers are? please point me in the right direction. would like to know other good installers in the national capital region.

cheers
Old 9th August 2008, 04:36   #11
BANNED

For 5-6k, you can get components from JBL (should be available in DD), Bull audio (available with Gunbir), Illusion audio (available with Low_bass_makker).

If you want to cross your 5-6k, then there are better options available upwards. JBL has a special power series. Rainbow SLX series is amazing. Illusion audio has carbon series etc...
There're Focal, Morel speakers too. Choices are aplenty.

Inside the 5-6k, my personal choice is Bull audio components. Below 10k, my personal choice is Rainbow SLX series components.
Old 9th August 2008, 09:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
and the good installers are? please point me in the right direction. would like to know other good installers in the national capital region.

cheers
pay a visit to LBM and he'll surely guide you to some. Trade secrets are not supposed to be revealed publically.
Old 9th August 2008, 10:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by makanaka View Post
ok, got that, can someone gimme a model no of component speakers which i can get for abt 5-6 k's from jbl or blaupunkt
JBL: GTO 607c

Blaupunkt: THc 662
Old 9th August 2008, 11:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
pay a visit to LBM and he'll surely guide you to some. Trade secrets are not supposed to be revealed publically.
I thought there was no rule against posting the installer name on the forum. And to be frank it will be a costly affair to go down to Faridabad and get the installer name.

No no no. We don't want and trade secrets to be revealed. We will pay a visit to the installer and give him 3rd DEGREE to get them out
Old 9th August 2008, 11:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
I thought there was no rule against posting the installer name on the forum. And to be frank it will be a costly affair to go down to Faridabad and get the installer name.

No no no. We don't want and trade secrets to be revealed. We will pay a visit to the installer and give him 3rd DEGREE to get them out
arre yaar, vodafone hai naa : 1 re all india

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks