Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2008, 16:45   #1
BHPian

RCA Splitter Query

Hi friends and audio lovers , good to be back on the forum after a long time.

I'm going to upgrade my Amp Kit. The reason being that my current BOSS power cable got fried and almost toasted my car's wire harness along with it. Plus the el-cheapo RCAs emit continuous whine.
So now it's either Tsunami/Monster/Audison with Audison being the most readily available.

My amp is JBL 75.4 , sub is sony 300W / 12"

Now to the queries :
1) Shud I get 4 gauge or 8 gauge Kit.
2) I use RCA splitters at AMP end due to my head unit having single pre-out. Wouldnt low quality splitters nullify the quality gains of using a good RCA cable. If yes then are there any branded splitters available and at what price??
3) Lastly the price of Tsunami and Audison 4 gauge Kits (in Delhi).
Old 10th September 2008, 21:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

1) 8 gauge aka 10 mm.sq
I've used Scosche "8 ga" 6.5mm.sq and have experienced clipping at high volumes with the 75.4 .
Old 11th September 2008, 10:42   #3
BHPian

So Nitrous bhai , I guess you are suggesting 4 gauge (25 mm Sq.).
IIRC audison has FPK 600 that is a 4 gauge kit right ??

Any idea about prices anyone??

PS - checked googled on Y splitters. Audison does have them in their product line-up .
Old 11th September 2008, 18:09   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic_boom View Post
So Nitrous bhai , I guess you are suggesting 4 gauge (25 mm Sq.).
IIRC audison has FPK 600 that is a 4 gauge kit right ??

Any idea about prices anyone??

PS - checked googled on Y splitters. Audison does have them in their product line-up .
Check with Gunbir, he is the distributor for the Audison. You may require 4 AWG if you are going for the mono Amp.

And on the splitters part, can't we connect the AUX-out of the AMP to the rear channels using an RCA to RCA cable. I think that should be the same as splitting it and feeding it. I think the front channels and rear channels are independent of each other inside the amp. And the amp doesn't provide any active connection between input and aux-output. I think they are just used for cascading.
Old 11th September 2008, 18:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrrraju View Post
Check with Gunbir, he is the distributor for the Audison. You may require 4 AWG if you are going for the mono Amp.
You can go for finolex power cable will cost you nearly 5-6 times cheaper.
Old 11th September 2008, 19:04   #6
nitin.dangayach

How much do finloex cost ?

Old 11th September 2008, 20:32   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
You can go for finolex power cable will cost you nearly 5-6 times cheaper.
LBM bhai....I will need 25mm Sq right ??
But what length is required including Power and Ground ??
My Car is Alto LXi and my 75.4 is mounted behind the rear seat ??

And didnt Gunbir ji say somewhere that since current travels on conductor surface , amp kit power cable is better compared to regular power cable since it is multi-stranded providing more surface area??
Old 14th September 2008, 12:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

For the JBL 75.4, 10mm.sq is enough. You don't need to go overboard.
Old 14th September 2008, 14:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

sonic boom if you plan for a mono upgrade later on then the 4gu aka 25sqmm wire will be more worth the money just like nitrous suggested, if you dont then its a dead investment.

well you can still get the 8gu wiring kit if unavailable in audison, scosche and kicker have them too, they are as good as audison, if not equally good depends on the series you buy from a particular brand.

might i suggest installing the Amp in the boot either to one of the sides or behind the rear seat??? this way the amp will have more air circulation and will stay cooler, will be better protected from the legs of rear passengers and in case the car's base carpet gets wet during monsoon could possibly destroy the amp, its for the same reason i reinstalled the amps in the boot in both my cars.

check out a few sound off and show off threads for the pics of install.
this is what i did in my swift, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...-my-swift.html

well the surface area being more part you are correct, but finolex FLAME guard series is way better jacketed and has better core wire, and for the surface area you can use 2 or 3, 6sq mm wires for the same amp which will cost you below 800 bucks i.e. 6meters of lenght, if you need it till boot if beneath one of the front seats then 3 meters is enough. and not the HOME guard series is usually marketed more, finding flame guard is a bit tough, you can also look at Havell's flame guard series that are fire proof, have a better core wire too.

if you seriously want the flexibility then go for the car audio brand wires, which in your case i dont find the need for, in my swift i went in for the later series GTO1004 amp the 75.4's replacement from jbl and i am using the home guard 6sqmm X 4 wires, back then i thought i would even go for a mono later on so i put that thick wire, but i am kind of satisfied with the current audio setup which includes that amp a set of comps and a sub, so left it that way.

well all the best finding the wires and with the installation.

do get a branded fuse box and terminals along with RCAs make sure that are not basic starting range from any brand, it better be a little better series, like for example vrrraju ( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...t-jblfied.html ) got basic ones from monster and i have the 101 XLN's which has better jacketing and core wire. you can see the red rcas in my swift thread.

no offense meant to any one if did offend some one my apologies i just took the names and i am pasting the linkys for better knowledge thats all. cheers hope i have been of some help.

Last edited by rider60 : 14th September 2008 at 14:03. Reason: spell check.
Old 14th September 2008, 14:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
LBM bhai....I will need 25mm Sq right ??
But what length is required including Power and Ground ??
My Car is Alto LXi and my 75.4 is mounted behind the rear seat ??

And didnt Gunbir ji say somewhere that since current travels on conductor surface , amp kit power cable is better compared to regular power cable since it is multi-stranded providing more surface area??
For the amp in the boot you would require approx 6 meters with 5 meter from battery to amp and 1 meter for ground.

Here is your answer bro about the current and conductor.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...tml#post695378

So it is not about the surface area it the cross-section area thicker more current will flow.

Ya if you plan to add another amp then go for 25mm else 16mmsq is enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
For the JBL 75.4, 10mm.sq is enough. You don't need to go overboard.
Anna a 16 mmsq is recommended.

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 14th September 2008 at 14:14.
Old 14th September 2008, 20:46   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
no offense meant to any one if did offend some one my apologies i just took the names and i am pasting the linkys for better knowledge thats all. cheers hope i have been of some help.
If it is pointing towards me, then no offenses taken yash, I know we are here to give advice and share our experience, I think you will agree with me, if I say you will learn things only after burning your fingers. I did and I learnt a lot in ICE now. I went with the branded stuff since I didn't had much experience with me. If such things helps for others then we all gain....Right.
Old 14th September 2008, 23:26   #12
BHPian

Thanks for all the help guys.
Finally got the 8 gauge Bull audio kit installed today from Driven since Bull seems to be getting good reviews and prices are okay too.
Kicker was kinda expensive and the Audison 8 gauge kit was out of stock and I was in a hurry to get the job done cos the current setups power wire had burnt completely

The kit had 8 gauge power and ground wire along with a pair of RCAs. Now when I compared the Bull power wire to the Boss , the difference was stark. The Boss power wire seemed to be 16 gauge compared to Bull's.
And as a pleasant side-effect the irritating alternator whine is gone completely too , confirming the fact that the people at Bull Audio know their job. Yippeee...
Old 15th September 2008, 00:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrrraju View Post
If it is pointing towards me, then no offenses taken yash, I know we are here to give advice and share our experience, I think you will agree with me, if I say you will learn things only after burning your fingers. I did and I learnt a lot in ICE now. I went with the branded stuff since I didn't had much experience with me. If such things helps for others then we all gain....Right.
thanks for taking it in the right spirit mr. raju, of course we all do learn more and remember it better with burnt fingers for sure i have my set of experiences too, and yes it would help others for sure by we sharing it.
my fingers were burnt when i ended up spending 10k, 5k for a set of blau comps which were destroyed due to water seepage and had to spend an additional 5k to get another set., hence that kind of care in my cars to keep water away from ICE.

Quote:
Thanks for all the help guys.
Finally got the 8 gauge Bull audio kit installed today from Driven since Bull seems to be getting good reviews and prices are okay too.
Kicker was kinda expensive and the Audison 8 gauge kit was out of stock and I was in a hurry to get the job done cos the current setups power wire had burnt completely

The kit had 8 gauge power and ground wire along with a pair of RCAs. Now when I compared the Bull power wire to the Boss , the difference was stark. The Boss power wire seemed to be 16 gauge compared to Bull's.
And as a pleasant side-effect the irritating alternator whine is gone completely too , confirming the fact that the people at Bull Audio know their job. Yippeee...
congrats on finding the set and the install now can we have the pics???

Most Viewed