Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2008, 20:19   #1
BHPian

Found- Fibreglass sheets retailer in Hyd

Hi-Tech Fiber Glass Mattings Pvt.Ltd
HI-TECH FIBRE GLASS MATTINGS (P) LTD - The first Company in India Manufacturing Fibre Glass Stitch Bonded Reinforcements
Exporters of fiber glass stich bonded mats CSM, composite mats, sandwich mats, slit rolls & chop strands

Address :
3-6-361-19,
Basheerbagh,
Hyderabad 500 029

I will be visiting the shop tomorrow to start stocking myself with all kinda DIY materials.If anyone knows or has bought this stuff from another retailer, please do post them as well.

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 28th September 2008 at 20:28. Reason: website added
Old 29th September 2008, 15:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

So where do you see this on your car?
Bumper? or any scoops/vents? or as weight reduction?
Old 30th September 2008, 01:45   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
So where do you see this on your car?
Bumper? or any scoops/vents? or as weight reduction?
As of now , the only plan i have is to try a test FG job on a woofer box .
Found- Fibreglass sheets retailer in Hyd-cube-frame.jpg
+
Found- Fibreglass sheets retailer in Hyd-fibre.jpg
+
Found- Fibreglass sheets retailer in Hyd-brown_leather_texture.jpg
to give me this
Found- Fibreglass sheets retailer in Hyd-cube-stool.jpg

Idea behind is to make a stool that will serve the purpose of Seating+Sub in the boot of CR-V.
Old 30th September 2008, 02:25   #4
BHPian

Thanks. Great find. But will it replace the exact easy to use fiber glass kit?
Old 30th September 2008, 09:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Guzzler baba, take a look at blueravens DIY here :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...s-install.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ds-baleno.html

The seating+sub idea sounds good but not practical imho. The 'bushes' at the bottom wouldnt be optimal for sound.. I maybe wrong.. baaki over to the GooRoo's
Old 30th September 2008, 09:56   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post

The seating+sub idea sounds good but not practical IMHO. The 'bushes' at the bottom wouldnt be optimal for sound.. I maybe wrong.. baaki over to the GooRoo's
If the bushes/legs/spikes/feet are of the wrong variety or not fixed properly to the box, then it may cause issues.

A good Sub box doesn't need to do the Samba or the Rumba in order to sound good and my experience with speakers at home is that the audible(not the chest pounding) response is way better with spikes.i.e,speaker stands and also the Sub's on HT sets.All floorstanders have spikes even.

Of course, probably home setups are calibrated differently compared to mobile versions, so my plan is to test the response using squash balls first before the fitting is finalized.

Thanks

hehehe, I'm just wanting to do the simplest design for my first FG job and got a reason to cover up the defects with the leather lining if any .All through,dad would be thinking that his son's being considerate and making a leather stool for his ride!.Perfect.

The next job would be to make the SWWS after being inspired on T-Bhp,Mum likes to use my car for carrying plants,pots,mud,meat and what not. All the dirty jobs of daily chores end up in my car.The CR-V remains pristine!. Hence, normal sub box outta the question and worse if its carpeted and ends up stinking of fish.I'd be nailed with words for the rest of my travels as well if she had to leave behind a plant just cause she ran outta space in the boot, lol !!

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 30th September 2008 at 10:04.
Old 5th October 2008, 14:41   #7
BHPian

Just bought the following , enclosure for sub and the stages will follow soon .

Name of retailer : Agarwal Trade Centre
7-3-711 , R.P Road,
Secunderabad
Ph : 27700659/01362

20 SqFt 300Gsm Fibre Glass mat : Rs 375.00
2kg Resin(clear)with supporter mixed : Rs 150.00
Hardener : Rs 50.00
------------
Total :Rs 575.00

Note , the resin is available in various colors. I wanted Grey to match the carpeting in the boot and see if i can leave it plain.Was advised that its very tough to get the finish right , hence opted for the clear resin(some 50-60bucks cheaper).

Plz note : Hi-Tech said he cant sell small quantities and suggested Ranigunj for buying such stuff.

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 5th October 2008 at 14:44.
Old 10th October 2008, 00:45   #8
BHPian

diy enclosure 1st phase

Just finished the 1st phase, i.e the 1st layer of fibreglassing.
Ill let the pictures and descriptions do the talking and will list each issue faced as we go along.
  1. List of items
  • Plastic Sheet (9ftx12ft) - This is used for water-proofing/sheltering cement bags kept in the open.
  • Paint brushes x4 2"/3"
  • 2kg Resin mixed with supporter + small 100ml hardener- Called GP(general purpose)Resin in the markets.
  • New blade
  • Masking Tape
  • Brown tape used for parcels
  • Metal Putty + Hardener + Spatula/Putty scoop
  • Paint Roller
  • 25Sq FT 300GSM FG Mat
  • Rubber Gloves
  • Found- Fibreglass sheets retailer in Hyd-items.jpg
2: pics speaks for itself . Floor boards and mats taken out from boot
Found- Fibreglass sheets retailer in Hyd-empty-boot-1.jpg
Found- Fibreglass sheets retailer in Hyd-empty-boot-2.jpg
3: Initially i was trying to line up the boot with the plastic sheet , but it turned out that the sheet was too thick to handle the contours of the car sidewall. Besides, it was also difficult to stick the sheets in place once pressed. Masking tape was not adhering to the carpet lining on the sidewalls. This idea was ditched and started layering brown tape all over for the 1st stage of protection.
Found- Fibreglass sheets retailer in Hyd-brown-tape-partly-done.jpg
4: stage completed completed
Found- Fibreglass sheets retailer in Hyd-brown-tape-part-2.jpg
5: plastic sheet was taped to the floor of the boot overlining the loose ends of brown tape.In this pic, "clear"tape can be seen towards inside of the boot, i ran out of brown tape and used cello instead . Anybody going by the list , this is the 1st change in requirements noticed by this newbie
Found- Fibreglass sheets retailer in Hyd-brown-tape-plastic-sheet1.jpg
6: 2nd stage/level Protection - Aluminum foil lining , this was easy to do since the foil was bending into the contours of the vehicle and staying in position .Taping and lining the sidewall could be done separately.
Found- Fibreglass sheets retailer in Hyd-aluminum-foil-1.jpgFound- Fibreglass sheets retailer in Hyd-al-foil-complete.jpg
7: small portion of resin + hardener was mixed and a small patch glassed.When i requested for 25sq ft of FG mat, the retailer suggested 2kg of Resin and hardener. When i collected the package, i was told that the supporter was pre-mixed in the Resin and hardener given separate. The word "supporter" was not in the pages i read and i trust that i did my homework well!. i ended up with 2ltrs resin and 100ml of "hardener".all initial read-ups done had pointed towards a 2:1 ratio for both the items and i was stumped at the quantities given. I decided to do a 5% mix as per the proportions supplied.The result of this i shall give in the end. But for now , below is the first FG patch.
Found- Fibreglass sheets retailer in Hyd-first-layer-small-patch.jpg
completed pics to follow

mods : Please change title to "DIY FG ENCLOSURE-NHC"

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 10th October 2008 at 00:48.
Old 10th October 2008, 00:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

Great going buddy... keep alot patience,and protect your eyes and wear a surgical mask to prevent allergys..

Ramie
Old 10th October 2008, 01:25   #10
BHPian

Looking good mate,what is the volume of enc?
How will you manage the wires and terminals in FG enc.
hooked on to the thread to see the end result.
Old 10th October 2008, 01:29   #11
BHPian

FG layering continued
The 2nd batch of FG mats i used were not sticking to the old small patch easily, this was because the resin was already beginning to set. This is where the roller struck a light bulb and i began to use it.The roller helps in removing air bubbles as well as squeezing out excess resin from previous layer. This in turn helped in adding any further.
Found- Fibreglass sheets retailer in Hyd-layering-process.jpg
completed 1 layer.I say 1 layer since the sheet looks very thin with naked eye.The FG mats keep "melting" as resin is applied and the transparency further adds to the confusion.The misleading factor being that aluminum foil sheets are still visible after glassing the area.There are a few bumps and folds here and there,mainly due to me panicking when the resin was getting tougher to apply as it thickens and sets.Besides, My whole 25SqFT was used !!!, this i blame on me choosing 300GSM mat.It was just too fine and 450-500GSM would have made the task easier.Various diy FG Guides pointed towards making various size pieces to help in the contours,THIS IS A WOMAN SITTING ON THE MOON MAKING SAMOSAS STORY!.The mats was easy in larger pieces to hold onto, tap with brush and apply resin and press into the nooks and crannies. smaller pieces just ended up sticking to the brush!.
Found- Fibreglass sheets retailer in Hyd-finally-finished-1-layer.jpg
The very fine 300GSM mat ended up breaking so easily that half was stuck onto the Gloves.This is 2nd mod in requirements list. More gloves because they get hard as hell and cant use once you pull them out for a smoke.i realized i had only one and hence had to resort to other means of smoking.
Found- Fibreglass sheets retailer in Hyd-need-more-gloves.jpg
The junior -Samarth, who helped me smoke and picked up on FG skills himself.
Found- Fibreglass sheets retailer in Hyd-roller-junior.jpg
Last but not least is the result of adding 5% hardener to the Resin. The flipperty thing changed into Rubber consistency in under a minute!!!.Hmmmm, now what should i calculate. Decided to ditch the numbers game and play the lottery. The next batch i mixed by adding a Pepsi bottle cap's worth. It worked out perfectly and the only the old lady making samosas has any idea of the proportions. As i finish journaling(is this a word?) this 1st stage, the FG has already turned really Hard.As tough as any glass item.Its been a whole 3 hours after completion.The times of course depend on the secret proportions of hardener and Resin.
Found- Fibreglass sheets retailer in Hyd-excess-resin-hardenening.jpg
Old 10th October 2008, 01:41   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
Looking good mate,what is the volume of enc?
How will you manage the wires and terminals in FG enc.
hooked on to the thread to see the end result.
volume of enclosure will be easy to calculate as per my imagination.This ill show in future thread once i get to that stage.The specs as per the Drive I've selected is 0.88-1cubic ft sealed.

Wires and Terminals -Ive thought of 2 ways.
  1. just drill a hole , pass the wire through after connecting it to the Driver. and then seal it with putty or m-seal.I will be carpetting this FG enclosure so it wont be seen.
  2. I went around looking for speaker terminals.But unfortunately the ones available looked of very bad quality, i.e the ones used in public processions and road side speakers. Ill continue my search and then use a hack saw to cut out a frame for the speaker terminals.Seal it one again with m-seal/putty or glass it all around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
Great going buddy... keep alot patience,and protect your eyes and wear a surgical mask to prevent allergys..

Ramie
thanks, didnt buy a mask and this HAS to be added to the list.The amount of times i nearly "lost it" and started looking at imaginary white rabbits because of the fumes was not funny, lol. Poor Samarth, my cousin was not allowed close to the boot to do some DIY himself due to this.

Major Allergies and itches , touch wood none experienced till now!.But yes , precaution is a must as i do feel a small itch on me toes.Shreads of FG were everywhere and i was wearing slippers during the process.

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 10th October 2008 at 01:44.
Old 10th October 2008, 09:07   #13
BHPian

st phase final results

Just managed to pry out the FG work , and it came out seamlessly in 1 peice. no pushing , u levering nothing at all. All in all, the protective layers i applied worked as well as it should . Pretty pleased and there is no damage to the car whatsoever with resin deposits.
Found- Fibreglass sheets retailer in Hyd-prying-out.jpg

Found- Fibreglass sheets retailer in Hyd-removing-al-foil.jpg

Rest of the AL Foil is stuck to the FG. needs patience to remove them but im VERY satisfied with the results!. perfect mould of the NHC side-wall. Now all I have to do is buy more resin , more glass mats and add some layers without stooping into the boot!.One can call this the "thinner" mold for the "thicker" and smoother final result.

Found- Fibreglass sheets retailer in Hyd-final-result.jpg

This is the inside view of the work done. You can see a few clear patches and a few opaque areas.Where ever i felt the structure was looking thin, i had just put DRY FG mats and rolled over them.I wanted a good joint between the set batch and one i do today.Resulting air bubbles between old and new layers can be removed easily.Im chuffed!
Found- Fibreglass sheets retailer in Hyd-inside-view.jpg

and here's the final outcome of mixing 5%hardener to the Resin,If you match it with the relevant pictures above in this thread, you can notice how this has crystallised completely and hardened.This is my NEW PAPERWEIGHT.
Found- Fibreglass sheets retailer in Hyd-my-new-paperweight.jpg
Found- Fibreglass sheets retailer in Hyd-pw2.jpg
Found- Fibreglass sheets retailer in Hyd-pw3.jpg

There's a lot more to do further and post when next stage is complete.I'll be adding more layers,making the MDF frame for the driver,securing this to existing frame with supports,calculating volume,adding muslin and shaping final structure - this is 2nd phase, lets hope it gets done by SUN.

Ill need some ideas on making a Harness to hold the sub in its place and stop it from moving once installed.If people have any ideas of stuff/product i can buy and blend it into the structure,This will be helpful.

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 10th October 2008 at 09:12.
Old 10th October 2008, 09:33   #14
BANNED

Hi,

One small suggestion. Instead of making the mould would it not be a better idea to fibre glass the body itself. What that would do is toughen your panels and give you the same sound effect as well.

I had applied fiber glass to my esteem years ago and the results were superb. Of course my application was to toughen the body panels and not for sound. Suzuki's had body panels that you could push in with 1 finger, but after giving the fiber glass treatment they became solid(like the german car panels).

You can also install the carpets over the panels and it will look stock and achieve 2 purposes.

Just my 2 cents.

Viper
Old 10th October 2008, 09:42   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi,

One small suggestion. Instead of making the mould would it not be a better idea to fibre glass the body itself. What that would do is toughen your panels and give you the same sound effect as well.

I had applied fiber glass to my esteem years ago and the results were superb. Of course my application was to toughen the body panels and not for sound. Suzuki's had body panels that you could push in with 1 finger, but after giving the fiber glass treatment they became solid(like the german car panels).
You can also install the carpets over the panels and it will look stock and achieve 2 purposes.
Just my 2 cents.
Viper
Hi , thanks for the reply Viper.

yeah i thought of the same as well , but then realized that we are planning to keep the car for a long long term.When the time comes for re-painting/change of colour, this install would go waste.Hence the separate enclosure. touch wood that it never happens, but it would not get damaged completely even when there is rear end collision or something in those lines.I am planning to carpet the install and add a separate frame for amp at later stage for it to look OEM kind.But thats when i buy a mono for the sub, lol.4channel is going under the rear bench for now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks