Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2008, 16:04   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manigrews View Post
I'll have to think again whether I should go for Sony.

Cheers
Thats where good installers will help you out.
atleast i am banking on their hands-on experience and suggestions.

would suggest to compile list of things that you would prefer to buy and checkout with the installer.
Old 6th October 2008, 18:11   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
BT/B 100 You see in the manual is the bluetooth adapter made by Pioneer for their 'Bluetooth ready' HUs.
It's not a dongle like thingy we use for computers. It's a whole kit by itself with necessary cables/boxes etc..
Hope you're not confused anymore, Backseat driver!
Ok. Got it now. Actually, I think that if a USB stick is going to be the primary source of music, "bluetooth ready" is not sufficient - since the USB port is available for either the Bluetooth kit (I do not want to call it an adapter - dongles are described as 'adapters' in literature and recognised as such). or the memory stick.

Can anyone confirm this?

Confession:- I was thinking of getting a USB hub or something similar to connect both!!! Guess it will not work now.
Old 6th October 2008, 19:28   #33
Senior - BHPian

I dont think the Bluetooth Kit will connect to your available USB port. Even if it does, it should include another USB port to connect your pen drive, atleast thats what the Blaupunkt bluetooth adapter kit had. Its better to have a look at the Bluetooth Kit as well before buying the HU.
Old 21st October 2008, 00:20   #34

Guys - What are the options for if all I want is aux in for an mp3 player?

No USB, no bluetooth, no CD, no radio, no need to control the mp3 player from the HU.

Any specific model nos appreciated.
Old 21st October 2008, 06:59   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Ok. Got it now. Actually, I think that if a USB stick is going to be the primary source of music, "bluetooth ready" is not sufficient - since the USB port is available for either the Bluetooth kit (I do not want to call it an adapter - dongles are described as 'adapters' in literature and recognised as such). or the memory stick.

Can anyone confirm this?

Confession:- I was thinking of getting a USB hub or something similar to connect both!!! Guess it will not work now.
The BT adaptors do not connect onto the USB port; instead the BT ready HU will have a separate point behind to connect the same. Generally the BT adaptor module can be installed in a concealed fashion.

Also I do not think the USB ports on HUs support USB hubs or any other devices.
Old 28th May 2010, 11:52   #36
BHPian

Need a high quality HU with just Aux-in - no need for USB/CD etc.

Ok stupid question to ask the gurus, but I still have to ask as I am not able to come up with a reason why this couldn't be done. Mods, please move this to a appropriate section if this is not the right section - more importantly modify the title as I am not able to come up with a better one.

At my desktop I have a set of studio monitors which just have a Aux-in and I connect my mp3 player to it. Given that it is a studio monitor the sound quality is excellent. The circuitry is also simple enough as in the whole Aux-in/DAC system is present in the speaker itself . I am sure all of us would have seen so many speakers that can take Aux-in - I am not talking about players here, just the speakers itself. So the main criteria for the sound quality here is the speaker and the DAC. I want to do a similar thing with my car, there are more issues to take care of compared to house setup but I am interested in only one aspect here.

I don't want to buy a HU, instead I want to invest this money also in Amp, Speakers - this means I need a Amp that can directly take Aux-in and do all the work internally or I need some intermediate circuitry/connector that can take Aux-in and split it into the signals that the Amp can take. In case I have confused you thoroughly, here is what I am trying to get at. If we are talking in terms of a HU, I just need a device that comprises of the internal components of the HU that are responsible for Aux-in and conversion of this input into signals that the Amp can take(DAC and associated power electronics).

I am not able to accept the fact that I buy a expensive mp3 player, then connect this through Aux-in to a expensive HU - over here I am wasting most of the HU features. Things like the HU Interface, CD player, USB player...etc are not even used, yet I am forced to pay for it - all I need is the DAC and the Aux-in converter. So instead of the expensive HU so much of things that I don't need, I want to buy a high quality DAC, Amp and speakers for that money.

Please let me whether you are aware of such systems, pardon my ignorance as I am not able to find something like that. Unfortunately I am not able to find a dealer who is ready to help me in this, let me know whether anyone is available in Chennai for this.

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th May 2010 at 12:44. Reason: Please use Search and continue in an existing thread, Thanks
Old 29th May 2010, 09:22   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by partha379 View Post
... studio monitors ... whole Aux-in/DAC system is present in the speaker itself ... the speaker and the DAC. I want to do a similar thing with my car, ... I just need a device that comprises of the internal components of the HU that are responsible for Aux-in and conversion of this input into signals that the Amp can take(DAC and associated power electronics). ...
Something is amiss here. You must be having a good pair of PC speakers - which have a built-in amplifier, and accept an analog input.

What make / model are your 'Studio Monitors'? One does not expect a DAC in a studio monitor, simply because the (digital) sound sources in a studio have their own DAC(s). Nor does one expect amplifiers built into studio monitor. A studio monitor usually is just a set of really good speakers in a good cabinet.

Aux-in is by definition an analog input, not digital. Nor do mp3 players (other than iPod/iPhone) stream digital out - just the analog output from the headphone socket.

To do what you want, you have to look for an amplifier with has an Aux-in, like a Blaupunkt GTA280 (2 channel) or GTA480 (4 channel). Connect a good pair of components in front, connect your mp3 player to the amp using an EP-to-RCA cable, and you are good to go.

Quote:
... I am not able to accept the fact that I buy a expensive mp3 player, then connect this through Aux-in to a expensive HU - over here I am wasting most of the HU features. Things like the HU Interface, CD player, USB player...etc are not even used, yet I am forced to pay for it ...
You have a different philosophy in life than everyone else! Most of us do use the other features once in a while for variety, including listening to the inane banter of an RJ, or the amusing telephone calls of Ghanta Singh, on an FM channel.
Old 29th May 2010, 10:33   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am not able to accept the fact that I buy a expensive mp3 player, then connect this through Aux-in to a expensive HU - over here I am wasting most of the HU features.
Firstly for us to get an idea of what you are tlaking about can you list out the components in your PC's audio system? Are you using an Audioengine or MM1 (B&W) etc? For example on my PC I have a little amp from Firestone that takes a USB input (the amp has a DAC) and gives me adequate output to drive my headphones.

That said if you get a "box" that has a DAC and power amp how are you going to control the volume, fast forward, rewind, etc... of the music you are listening to. You will need some sort of HU in the dash to do this.

If you intend to use an Ipod as your source you can get a Ipod dock and get teh line out from the dock and plug this into an amp but you will have no control over the volume (BTW there are docks that allow you to bypass the ipod DAC).
Old 29th May 2010, 12:40   #39
BHPian

I have a m-audio Studiophile AV 40 series as the speaker, this gives an "un-biased" reproduction of the music, no artificial boosts to any frequency (purely from my experience). I have etymotic IEMs and AKG headphones, I also have an PCI X-Fi card (this is where I messed it up when I kept saying I need a DAC - actually I needed a similar thing that takes digital data from something like a USB and gives an analog output)

In my car I need a output similar to what m-audio AV series provides, my car is OHC.

1) I want a SQ setup, it should have clear tight bass and quick response - no need for loudness.

2) I drive alone most of the times, so I am going to go for components in the front - I don't need a subwoofer - I am willing to sacrifice this and invest this amount in the components

3) As mentioned before, I don't need any fancy features in the HU :-). I just need it to take a Aux-in. If possible a USB flash input - this is to ensure that in future the source doesn't become the weakest link.

4) In case there is a Amp that does take in a Aux-in I will be more than happy with that, again I will invest the HU cost in the Amp and components. DerAlte, if the HU/Amp takes Aux-in, I can enjoy things like FM :-).

5) I will have to upgrade in steps, I will invest in chunks - the first chunk is going to be 15-20k. I am planning to spend this on components first as I currently have a decent Alpine HU. Plan is to buy components and damping, my next step will be Amp and hopefully if the Amp takes Digital/Aux-in I am done :-). The HU might not get the best out of the components without an Amp, but I don't have a unlimited budget :-(.

Note that I haven't talked of a particular brand or system as I am open to any brand. But my personal preference with HU is Alpine, I am open to Amp and Components.

Will this plan work? I am open to ideas, if you feel that the above is going to go nowhere feel free to call me stupid :-).

I have to say some of the ICE guys and the equipments they have is impressive - the amount of time, effort and other resources you guys put in to get a good sounding system is just amazing. More importantly the fact that some of you guys spend a equal amount of time trying to help others to experience quality sound is impressive.
Old 29th May 2010, 18:09   #40
BHPian

Small correction in the above post, I have a external USB X-fi card - this is something similar to what Navin ji has to drive his headphones, don't ask me about the quality though. I had bought because folks were suggesting that the normal card/players might not be able to drive the AKG headphones properly.
Old 27th October 2010, 15:00   #41
Senior - BHPian

USB onlu HU

I am considering going for a USB only HU as my Cd system seems to be malfunctioning and don't want to have the hassle of having to store/write cds if i go for a new system.Now i have heard of chinese players which are available (mega audio for eg) but am not sure if brands like JVC ,Pioneer make such usb only devices.

I don't have a huge budget may be max 2.5-3k is all i am willing to spend and guess only chinese products would be available at that price.But still any idea what branded products made with just USB.I don't need bluetooth etc.

If i go chinese then what kind of quality can i expect, i mean to say usb devices should not have mechanical parts and should be less prone to failures, right ?I just need a decent sound nothing demanding.

thanks for your time.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 27th October 2010 at 15:02.
Old 27th October 2010, 20:35   #42
Senior - BHPian

Chinese USB HU = 900-1200. Comparatively, the disk-less branded HUs are >12K!

* Less prone to failures? Nah, no one has gone into that aspect with these mass-produced units, but theoretically you are right
* Decent sound? Hmm, all those that I have heard in cabs in Bangalore didn't make me feel like jumping out of the cab. But yes, one cannot expect SQL
Old 11th January 2018, 19:26   #43
BHPian

Re: HU with only USB , AUX- IN, and Bluetooth

Bumping this up, after a pretty long time.

My Corolla Altis' O.E.M. head unit has one aux input point. Can I insert this Bluetooth adaptor in it, connect it to my phone and listen to music?

If the answer to my question is in the affirmative, what is a good quality adaptor that I must be buying? What kind of phone (smart phone / non smart phone) should be connected with the Bluetooth? Is it a correct notion that older, non smart phones have better sound quality than smart phones?
Old 11th January 2018, 20:05   #44
Senior - BHPian

Re: HU with only USB , AUX- IN, and Bluetooth

the above device will work, but get an extension cord to get it close to you, as it has an inbuilt mic, and that needs to be close to you to pick up your voice

Bluetooth audio quality with devices supporting BT 3.0 and above is really subjective - I have this one, and it sounds only slightly worse than my 2K logitech BT adapter. beyond this device, you are going into diminishing returns territory

type of phone does not matter, just ensure that is supports BT 3.0 or above
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks