Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2008, 11:11   #16
BANNED

I like classical music. More into Persian and middle east but has lots of Indian and east asian too. Percussions are my weak point. Sufi music stops my heart too.
Hariprasad Chourasia, Ustad Zakir hussain, Subbalakshmi, Nusrat, Abida Parveen, Subha Mudgal, Mahwash, Hossam Ramzy... goes my list of favourite artists.
I like (a bit) warm sounding setups with strong midrange, strong midbass and very soft highs.

I have a Blaupunkt VLC setup running off Alpine amps, a Hertz energy + ID12 setup running off Alpine amps, a Hertz Dieci (now changed to Rainbow SLX) + Infinity kappa perfect setup running off a Blaupunkt MP4A amp.
My next upgrade is to Audison LRX amps + Rainbow Germanium components and IDQ10 subs.

Now that I've given you my status, let me suggest something for you.
Which car do you spend more time in? Do the ICEing only in it for now. That will bring your total budget to 20k. Ain't it?
Buy Rainbow SLX components for the front with deluxe crossovers. Add a basic 4channel amp like Kenwood 8401 or so. Run it from your current Alpine HU. You may add a sub later for good low end which will give more depth to your soundstage.
Another option of speakers is Illusion audio Electra. Very VFM but a notch below the Rainbow SLX.
Try both and decide for yourself.

Stay away from Polk.

Last edited by speedzak : 14th October 2008 at 11:13. Reason: Wordings.
Old 14th October 2008, 11:18   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
Is that as in 1812 ( the year )
I said the 1812 not in 1812.

1812 Overture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I agree he did say brightness, But i cant imagine listening to violins on those polks. ow my ears !
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
He even has his own language
But seriously, Classical music on Polks! SHUDDERS
I'm sorry I should have been more explicit. I have included a link above.
Yes classical music on Polks. I even modified a pair of Polks see this old post...
diyAudio Forums Archive - Questions about the Polk SRS1.2TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
By any chance any classical listener can give his/ her inputs?
I have not heard any modern Polks with Classical music (esp not solo violin which is where I'm told Polks's fall apart) but here is a review

"I chose the Carmina Burana for its full orchestral and choral arrangements and its dramatic mood changes. I was not disappointed. The quieter, chant-like parts were steeped in detail, while the spectacular upswings in pace, volume, and emotion elicited the intended pulse-quickening reaction"

A Review of Polk's Signature Reference Component Speakers
Old 14th October 2008, 11:26   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I have not heard any modern Polks with Classical music
You've got to do it ASAP before somebody reads the last post and buys a new one.
I feel very sorry for what this great brand has come to.
Old 14th October 2008, 11:46   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
You've got to do it ASAP before somebody reads the last post and buys a new one.
I feel very sorry for what this great brand has come to.
1. I trust everyone here has a good pair of ears. My opinion is just that - an opinion.

2. Polk was never a great brand. It was always a decent Mid-Fi brand.
Old 20th October 2008, 16:32   #20
BHPian

@speedzak maybe you just heard a very badly tuned system. I have a friend who has a store here in blr. His first setup was in real bad shape after a not so good tuning on an all polk setup. At that point i wanted to be a custom tuner so i did the job for him after which it sounded just fantastic. Yes, polk does sound good IF tuned RIGHT. As for the custom tuning that for me went down the drain. Honestly that system was FANTASTIC! Yes, you need to keep the treble down, but, with the polk momo compaxials the midbass is pretty good.
@navin they still like to show off the depth that the polks can reach with the classical music. that would be in the home audio section. but kef and focal are so much better.
Old 23rd October 2008, 10:04   #21
BHPian

Finally the installation is done.

NHC-> No change

Getz->

HU -> Pioneer 5090

Front -> Component JBL GT5-S265C

Back -> Coaxial JBL GT5-S265

Total cost 15. 5 K.

I am now testing the system. I have one question for the gurus..

There are two small speakers fitted on the dashboard ( twitters ?) .

I want to reduce the sound of those , but couldn't find any settings to do so.

Any idea how this can be done ? Because of their prominent sound , the total system is sounding Dhin-chak system (Cheap / taxi / truck like ) instead of normal deep sounding system.

Thanks

Hrishikesh
Old 23rd October 2008, 11:06   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There are two small speakers fitted on the dashboard ( twitters ?) .

I want to reduce the sound of those , but couldn't find any settings to do so.
Most crossovers will have a choice ot 2 levels so look at the crossover for this. If this does not help get a pair of 1ohm/10W resistors and stick them between the tweeter crossover and the tweeter.

This might change the tweeter XO a bit but you should get the attenuation you desire. If you need more attenuation then you'd have to change the Lpad itself (this can also be easily done so dont worry)
Old 23rd October 2008, 12:02   #23
BHPian

Most crossovers will have a choice ot 2 levels so look at the crossover for this.

-->

Where should I look? On the back of the speakers?
Old 24th October 2008, 10:48   #24
BANNED

There will be a crossover network box supplied with the speakers. Look for it.
Old 30th October 2008, 07:34   #25
BHPian

Just an update:-

The problem is now solved. Basically the HU have Hi, mid and low setting in custom settings. So I put Hi to -5 Mid to +6 (Max) and low to 0.

And The taxi type dinchak sound is now gone and what I got is a powerfull vocal sound which is now prominent over the other background noise.

My other pioneer nor the alpine has this much customization options.
Old 30th October 2008, 12:33   #26
BANNED

Eq setting.

Quote:

The problem is now solved. Basically the HU have Hi, mid and low setting in custom settings. So I put Hi to -5 Mid to +6 (Max) and low to 0.

what I got is a powerfull vocal sound which is now prominent over the other background noise.
That's the eq settings and most of mid entry level HUs has these settings.

What you've done is turn down the high frequenzies and low frequenzies. With that you've also (automatically) turned down many details in the music/composition. You'll be missing those tones/details from your music.
This is not something very much preferred.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks