Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2008, 19:17   #1
BHPian

alpine 2 channel amplifier and wire guage/properties query?

hello friends
i have recently purchased a jbl gto3501 monoblock for my subwoofer and soon i will be buying another 2 channel amplifier alpine mrp t-222 for my front component speakers, i have 2 queries , 1st is that i am not going for branded wiring because of budget constraints and instead i am buying polycab 25mm2 copper wiring which according to my little knowledge will suffice because it is equal to or more than a 4 gauge wire, i will later use an audison distributor and run a thinner(8 gauge) wire to power the second amplifier, i noticed on polycab site that their wires can be used for dc operation, so ur suggestions and opinions please.
my second query is regarding my alpine mrp t-222 which i am going to buy soon, is this a good amplifier , i want a good sq system, will it suffice or should i consider buying other amplifiers from other brands,my budget for the 2 channel amplifier is 5000-6000 to the most, cannot increase that so please suggest 2 things, is the wiring gauge sufficient to run 2 abovementioned amplifiers and that is my choice to buy the ampline amplifier is correct or should i consider some other product.
p.s. please keep my budget in mind while suggesting for the 2 channel amplifier gurus
Old 3rd December 2008, 19:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

1. Stick to 4 gauge from finolex. Excellent VFM.
2. Which comps you intend to power with T222?
3. T222 seems to be less powered, I mean what is 50 X 2 RMS @14.4V? Come on!
4. At 5-6K there are excellent 2 cahnnel options from JBL. Check them out!
5. Which sub?
Old 3rd December 2008, 19:59   #3
BHPian

thanks for the prompt reply friend, i hav tried looking everywhere for finolex but they are not availabe in 4 gauge sizes, please kindly tell me that whether the 25mm2 wire will suffice for powering these 2 amps , im particularly concerned about the gauge/mm2 thing so kindly brief me up on the size thickness, my sub is a pioneer 307d4 which was earlier in a portred box built to specs now it is in a sealed box built to specs (according to pioneer specsheet), also which prticular amplifier do u recommend which is within 5-6 k, please mention the model number
Old 3rd December 2008, 21:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Why only 2-channel amp ? 4-channel ones like Kenwood 8401 / JBL GT5 604 would come under 5-6k and perform better than the Alpine.
Old 3rd December 2008, 21:33   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by makanaka View Post
please kindly tell me that whether the 25mm2 wire will suffice for powering these 2 amps , im particularly concerned about the gauge/mm2 thing so kindly brief me up on the size thickness
25mm square is in fact 4 gauge. You need to read this thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ick-wires.html
Old 3rd December 2008, 23:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
25mm square is in fact 4 gauge. You need to read this thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ick-wires.html

Wow was quite active then....

makanaka if you read the whole thread which Sam Bhai posted I think you will get your answer.

Cheers happy ICEing...
Old 3rd December 2008, 23:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
4. At 5-6K there are excellent 2 cahnnel options from JBL. Check them out!

which are the 2 channel options from jbl you speak about. as far as i know, there's only a gt5-a402 available officially in india and that gives you 40*2 @4 ohm. thats even more underpowered than the 50 odd watt per channel of the alpine he is talking about.
there is no 752 now. and besides that most amps are 'third grade,' right panky?
Old 4th December 2008, 00:04   #8
BHPian

ok friends so from your suggestions and advices now i am sure that the 25mm2 wire is a 4 gauge wire indeed which will suffice for my power needs so that isse stands settled.
now coming on to the second part of my query, let me rephrase my question, if you guys were in my shoes and if you had a budget of 6000 to the most (not expandable) which amplifier would you guys buy to power your component speakers, i would prefer a good 2 channel amplifier over a not so good 4 channel amplifier anyday because i drive my car myself and for passengers and all i got another vehicle , so please advise gurus and friends and thanks once again to you guys for clearing my doubts on my first query
Old 4th December 2008, 00:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

i have faced the same dillemma, and in india, there is still no good 2 channel amp that pushes more than 60 watts per channel. the blau gta2 pushes out that much. and theres not too much to choose from officially. if you have a higher budget, then you can look at the tha and velocity series from blau. they have good but highly priced 2 channel amps.
tired, i bought the kenwood kac 8401 for my components and rear coaxials. and i picked up a rockford fosgate punch 325.2 amp from usa that puts out 325w rms at 4 ohm in bridged mode. that will run my gz mk2 sub. that amp fit perfectly in my budget cos it cost 5k.. perfect for the sub. dunno how refined it is to run components.
Old 4th December 2008, 10:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
which are the 2 channel options from jbl you speak about. as far as i know, there's only a gt5-a402 available officially in india and that gives you 40*2 @4 ohm. thats even more underpowered than the 50 odd watt per channel of the alpine he is talking about.
there is no 752 now. and besides that most amps are 'third grade,' right panky?
consider buying JBLs without B & W and see the options available besides that "third grade" amp!
Old 4th December 2008, 11:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

So what are the 2 channel options available in grey. Someone please list them. according to me theres less than 5 respectable ones
Old 4th December 2008, 12:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ok friends so from your suggestions and advices now i am sure that the 25mm2 wire is a 4 gauge wire indeed which will suffice for my power needs so that isse stands settled.
now coming on to the second part of my query, let me rephrase my question, if you guys were in my shoes and if you had a budget of 6000 to the most (not expandable) which amplifier would you guys buy to power your component speakers, i would prefer a good 2 channel amplifier over a not so good 4 channel amplifier anyday because i drive my car myself and for passengers and all i got another vehicle , so please advise gurus and friends and thanks once again to you guys for clearing my doubts on my first query
Why not look at JBL GT5 A604. Its a good VFM 4 channel amp.
Old 4th December 2008, 17:10   #13
BHPian

hello friends
just a little update i purchased havells 25mm2 wire, lenght 6 meters and 2 meters polycab wire, the former will power the amplifier from the positive terminal of the battery and the latter 2 meter peice will be used to ground the amplifier to the body of the car for the negative source, i chose polycab 2 meter peice because that was available in black colour and the havells was only available in red not black, i wanted to colour code the wires(call it my attention to details or eccentricity) anyway what i observed was that the havells wire is a little thicker than the polycab(i mean the inner copper strands), even though they are of the same gauge which is 25mm2, the difference is negligible but there is a difference, i cannot comment on the quality of the insulation because only time will tell about that, anyway you guys were right that one should prefer branded wires over the lesser known brands, the havells was pretty expensive and costed me 225 per meter while the polycab was 190, i purchsed them from 2 different shops and was in a hurry so could not compare the two othrewise i would have purchased the 2 meter peice from havells also, nevertheless the shopkeeper charged quite a premium on the havells wire, thats killing me but atleast i got a good wire sigh!
Old 4th December 2008, 17:43   #14
BHPian

hello friends
my queries are neverending, sigh! anyway one more question, there is a remote wire which runs from the headunit to the amplifier, im not sure about its function, maybe it is used to turn the amplifier on and off, so my query is that my current local wire is extremelyt thin and is not even 1 sq mm, should i change it to thicker wire from havells or finolex to about 1 sqmm or should i leave it just like that, i dont think it carries any audio signal so i guess any branded wire like the ones i mentioned above will do, right? is there any minimum specification to which these wires should adhere to like a certain thickness or something like that? the present wire is hardly the size of a maggie noodle strand and that too with insulation, if i take off the insulation it will be like half the thickness of a maggie noodle, lolz so should i change it or leave it just like that??
Old 4th December 2008, 17:58   #15
BHPian

That wire just carries the +12V signal from the HU that turns on the amp. Use any cheapo speaker wire you have and it wont make any difference.
BTW, you'll find all this info in the powercables thread. It was in a post by Sam.

EDIT : here it is\http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ick-wires.html

Quote:
hello friends
my queries are neverending, sigh! anyway one more question, there is a remote wire which runs from the headunit to the amplifier, im not sure about its function, maybe it is used to turn the amplifier on and off, so my query is that my current local wire is extremelyt thin and is not even 1 sq mm, should i change it to thicker wire from havells or finolex to about 1 sqmm or should i leave it just like that, i dont think it carries any audio signal so i guess any branded wire like the ones i mentioned above will do, right? is there any minimum specification to which these wires should adhere to like a certain thickness or something like that? the present wire is hardly the size of a maggie noodle strand and that too with insulation, if i take off the insulation it will be like half the thickness of a maggie noodle, lolz so should i change it or leave it just like that??

Last edited by adityamunshi : 4th December 2008 at 17:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks