Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2008, 18:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

I guess the soundstage will get messed up. Its better to have both the midbass and tweeter upfront.
Old 12th December 2008, 18:36   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
I guess the soundstage will get messed up. Its better to have both the midbass and tweeter upfront.
X2 best to keep tweeter & midbass together.

@ritz830:

Would request you to listen to both coaxials and components before making a choice:

Advantages of components:
1. Separate tweeter allows for flexibility in mounting so as to obtain best imaging/staging. In case of the Spark, this is not so much of an advantage as dash mounting will allow for a fairly high image anyway, regardless of whether you use components or coaxes. Tweeter quality may also be better compared to a equivalent coax.
2. Separate outboard crossover allows for more complex implementations to better blend the midbass & tweeter, correct for driver anomalies, better power handling etcetc & may utilize better components thereby improving the sound...

Advantages of coax:
1. Coaxial tweeter mounting would sound coherent.
2. 2 runs of wiring not required.
3. Stock/stealth look is maintained

At the budget end of the spectrum, and for the specific install location in your car, I DONT KNOW how much difference in SQ would be perceptible b/w a coax and compo priced near-equally - hence I am not going to present an opinion on this....audition and decide for yourself!

Note: There are exceptions to the above i.e. coax with outboard crossovers and high quality tweeters but am not sure if any such are available at in the price range indicated by the thread starter
Old 12th December 2008, 20:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Bong View Post
... you may be better off looking for 4" 2-way coaxial speakers for the front - you will find several choices close to your budget.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
4" comps sound great in the spark dash, much better than , say in an alto or wagon R .
I'd also root for a coaxial here. I'd listened to a Spark with 4" coaxials in the front and a 12" sub in the back about a month back and it sounded pretty good. The coaxials were also amped, BTW. I don't think 4" comps would have sounded substantially better.
Old 12th December 2008, 20:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

true hydrashok
but id really like to refrain from powering any kind of sub from the HU regardless of whether it has subwoofer drive or whatever!
remember one thing, powering a sub is NOT possible from the head unit. it will cos overworking of the sub and may also cause the voice coil to blow.
Old 12th December 2008, 21:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

@frankmehta, I'm afraid you got me wrong

I said the coaxials were also amped. I just assumed everybody will understand that the sub was amped anyway. The coaxials and the sub were running off a 4-ch amp, and not the HU.
Old 12th December 2008, 21:25   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
@frankmehta, I'm afraid you got me wrong

I said the coaxials were also amped. I just assumed everybody will understand that the sub was amped anyway. The coaxials and the sub were running off a 4-ch amp, and not the HU.
Amplifying the coaxials. Sounds interesting.

The pioneer HU has Front, Rear, and Sub-woofer. Say, if we joint the Front and Rear together by using connectors, will the resultant connection provide an amplified output and solve the need of using an amplifier? Sorry if I sound too creative. lol

Last edited by ritz830 : 12th December 2008 at 21:27.
Old 12th December 2008, 21:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

heheh. just forget the internal amplifier of the head unit.
i suggest the first 2 things you must spend on right now, is a decent set of compos/coaxials and an amp. the sub is optional..
Old 12th December 2008, 21:58   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
true hydrashok
but id really like to refrain from powering any kind of sub from the HU regardless of whether it has subwoofer drive or whatever!
remember one thing, powering a sub is NOT possible from the head unit. it will cos overworking of the sub and may also cause the voice coil to blow

Dear friend,this might be your misconception. The best person to comment on the HU's capabilities will be the manufacturer. The user manual of pioneer 7950UB says the following.

"Setting the rear output and
subwoofer controller

This unit’s rear output (rear speaker leads output
and RCA rear output) can be used for fullrange
speaker (Rear SP :F.Range) or subwoofer
(Rear SP :S/W) connection. If you switch
the rear output setting to Rear SP :S/W, you
can connect a rear speaker lead directly to a
subwoofer without using an auxiliary amp.
Initially, the unit is set for rear full-range speaker
connection (Rear SP :F.Range)."

and also pls check the link Technology: Direct Sub Drive - Car Audio - CD Player

Cant a 100 W RMS sub be powered decently with 70 W RMS o/p from the HU? Will it blow the voice coil.

Ps: No offense meant
Old 12th December 2008, 22:22   #24
Senior - BHPian

frank, bhpian headers ran a sub off his HU wired the wrong way(both channels in parallel ) , and it still didnt blow. He said they sounded okayish with just one channel driving it
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...ier-works.html
Old 12th December 2008, 22:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

its an experiment and the head unit may or may not have been fried over a long period of time. why not just get an amp? as far as i know every body who starts off installing ice in a car(including me) is a noob. and they dont do install ice themselves. most installers know nothing other than joining a couple of wires, fixing a couple of screws and tuning the unit for just bass. for them music is bass and highs, mids are just by products. also, why dont you try going to an installer and tell them you want to run a sub off a head unit. he will invert his palm, point all five fingers at you and laugh(all the while the words, "paagal hai" playing in his head)

Last edited by frankmehta : 12th December 2008 at 22:55.
Old 12th December 2008, 23:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

probably, but those same installers would try to convince you that a fake pioneer 4" coax he has + TS 20's will sound better than those high end 4" comps you have, and probably not have any idea how to install a crossover correctly either. As always , the first and most important step of any good install is finding a competent installer

Last edited by greenhorn : 12th December 2008 at 23:17.
Old 12th December 2008, 23:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

all this in a budget of 5k?????
Old 12th December 2008, 23:31   #28
BHPian

What... there is no pioneer 4 inch coaxials?

then are there any good manufacturers for 4inch coax?
Old 12th December 2008, 23:40   #29
Senior - BHPian

no , no , there are original 4" pioneer coax's , just that in india, the fakes vastly outnumber them
good ones, there are so many, JBL, blaupunkt, , and more expensive ones too
Old 13th December 2008, 16:05   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prass View Post
... The best person to comment on the HU's capabilities will be the manufacturer. ...
Cant a 100 W RMS sub be powered decently with 70 W RMS o/p from the HU? Will it blow the voice coil. ...
No, nothing will happen!

That's the problem - nothing will happen! One will hear, in all but the Kei cars in Japan and the Cinquecento, a bit of faint "hoom hoom" from the subwoofer.

That's because even though the sub is 100W, what will flow from the HU amp will be less than 20W rms, not 70W. Sure it will deliver a decent amount of bass if one mounts an 8" sub directly behind the head, replacing the headrest! Rather impractical, one must say.

If the manufacturer's claim were to be true, don't you think almost everyone would have not wasted money on amps and driven subs from HUs?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks