Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2009, 21:41   #16
BHPian

@ greenhorn : I shall make another visit and check models and distribution.
BTW are HERTZ systems recommended?

@Deralte : He did show me a custom fiberglass enclosure he had done for a Scorpio. It fitted in the D pillar area and had speakers facing the middle row; makes the seats in the boot useless though! The enclosures were very well finished and quite sturdy.
Old 4th January 2009, 23:26   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynx View Post
P.S.: I don't listen to MP3s. All I need in functionality is the ability to play CDs and the ability to plug in my FLAC Player or iPhone (ALAC encoded songs). Thanks!
Lynx, what FLAC player do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Jazz. Bright sound is what i'd prefer with Jazz.
What kind of jazz do you normally listen to?
Old 4th January 2009, 23:29   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
jose , could you post the hertz speaker prices you were quoted ? we havent recieved any info about their pricing since their distribution was taken up by SSPL.
NEW Hertz ESK 6.5" compos are retailing at 8.5K last i checked.
Old 4th January 2009, 23:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josepeter View Post
@ greenhorn : I shall make another visit and check models and distribution.
BTW are HERTZ systems recommended?
HIGHLY, if you like your music laid back. My indica has hertz dieci all around, and I've made a lot of fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
NEW Hertz ESK 6.5" compos are retailing at 8.5K last i checked.
any idea about Dieci?
Old 4th January 2009, 23:50   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
HIGHLY, if you like your music laid back. My indica has hertz dieci all around, and I've made a lot of fans

any idea about Dieci?
Well i have no idea about Diecii but i can tell you one thing, the ITALIANS are on the move again for a new distributor . Anyone game for it ?
Old 4th January 2009, 23:50   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Lynx, what FLAC player do you use?
iAudio 7. Sometimes when I don't carry it, I use the iPhone with ALAC songs loaded though, of course, the output quality is not that great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
What kind of jazz do you normally listen to?
I generally don't go into sub-genres but suffice to say, it is mostly the instrumental records from the 60s and 70s. Think Miles Davis, Eric Dolphy, Charles Mingus, Wayne Shorter, John Coltrane, Herbie Hancock, Bill Evans Trio, Ornette Coleman, etc. Sometimes, the recent ones of Sonny Rollins, etc.

Thanks for all the responses so far. I really appreciate your help! I will start researching the replies posted and post my further questions and clarifications if any. I am hoping to stick within 30k if possible, otherwise will extend the budget accordingly.

Yeah, mids are definitely important, but a decent, non-punchy bass and a good treble are important for me too (though I am not a big fan of the so called hi-fidelity sounds). Overall, I want a nicely balanced setup. I liked reading the other thread with ICE for Ferrari without a sub, especially since the OP sounded like he knew what he was doing and was in fact happy with the final results.

I started looking into Alpine head units and they really seem to fit my requirements perfectly. There are very good reviews on a lot of them online as well and I am enjoying reading them.

Also, thanks for pointing me in the direction of time alignment. But would that be really necessary with just two front speakers?

Thanks again!
Old 5th January 2009, 00:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynx
I need the best sounding audio system for my car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynx
Budget? Hmmm, would 25-30k be...
Misconception,buddy.
For a setup like you desire, cost has no limit. But, I would say something around a 6 digit figure or simply add a '0' to your current budget..
I would suggest you go through the threads of Hydrashok's,Bhagwan's setups and installs done by Gunbir/Autophile. PURE SQ.

Last edited by nitrous : 5th January 2009 at 00:37.
Old 5th January 2009, 01:08   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Misconception,buddy.
For a setup like you desire, cost has no limit. But, I would say something around a 6 digit figure or simply add a '0' to your current budget..
Sounds like a very good reply on paper, but hardly helping, sadly. If somebody starts a thread with 'I need the best car' and then goes on to provide the specific requirements, I would naturally assume he/she is asking for the best possible car that would fit his/her needs and within the limitations given. This should be no different; at least I thought.
Old 5th January 2009, 09:17   #24
Senior - BHPian

Drive down to Chennai, hear some installs or maybe even Kovai/Bangy?

Will vote for Alpine HU. ESK or Type R for speakers? Rainbows too..., so 12K max for speakers.

Get the sub later. Get a nice 2/4 channel depending on budget Please dont forget damping.

Sub will make a whole lot difference which I dont think one will have to say to you.

Last edited by jkdas : 5th January 2009 at 09:20.
Old 5th January 2009, 09:41   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Drive down to Chennai, hear some installs or maybe even Kovai/Bangy?

Will vote for Alpine HU. ESK or Type R for speakers? Rainbows too..., so 12K max for speakers.

Get the sub later. Get a nice 2/4 channel depending on budget Please dont forget damping.

Sub will make a whole lot difference which I dont think one will have to say to you.
I think he can get entry level ID comps for that price as well.

A sub is always nice, but getting one at this point will mean that you have to compromise on the rest of the system.

IF getting alpine is a problem, kenwood ( was the model 6539? I'm not sure ) is also an option.

Who is the best guy in chennai for SQ installs ?

Last edited by greenhorn : 5th January 2009 at 09:42.
Old 5th January 2009, 10:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

lynx: for 30k then, here you go!
1. damping+installation+wiring remain the same: 7k
2. Head Unit: kenwood 6539 (with time alignment!): 8.5k
3. Components: Illusion Audio Electra 6.1: 7k
4. Amplifier: Kenwood 8401- 4.5k

The Sub can come later, as and when you wish, and you can add another 10k for it alongwith the enclosure.

For 30k this is as good as it can get, but still not good enough for the taste and standard of music that you would like. The Amplifier must be of a much higher calibre, as the 8401 is like an also-ran. Nothing to rant about, and most budget users prefer it because of its lower price and Value for Money.
a good amplifier costs upwards of Rs.13000 and that is what makes a huge difference.
even the head unit has not too much to wrote home about, but its the best at the price!
Old 5th January 2009, 10:27   #27
BHPian

Thanks Mehta, I was looking into the head units and I was wondering if I could maybe add the amplifier later too?

I was thinking of going all out with the HU and get an Alpine 9887. (Btw., does it come with the high speed usb cable or is that a separate purchase?)

That plus speakers and wiring should fall within 30k for now?

Thanks!
Old 5th January 2009, 10:32   #28
BHPian

For example, I read about the Alpine S type speakers which have pretty good sensitivity and could be driven will with minimal amplification. Also, the 9887 spec sheet says it has an in-built amplifier. What does this mean?

Also, I generally don't listen any louder than normal listening levels, and even the old Accents I have test driven seemed very quiet on the inside with the A/C on.

I understand that a good amplifier would make a huge difference in the sound quality which is why I will definitely get it later on. But, would it be absolutely necessary right now that I will have to cut down on the HU quality and get an average amp?

Thanks!
Old 5th January 2009, 10:34   #29
Senior - BHPian

i don't think the 6539 has time alignment .
Old 5th January 2009, 10:39   #30
Senior - BHPian

sorry, my bad! it does have a 24bit d/a converter though!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks