Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2009, 13:03   #46
BHPian

why not just a laptop ??

I see how everyone on here puts together computers for their car.... but why not just buy a used laptop? The case would be even smaller, and fit very easily underneath a car seat or in the boot. Then just get one of those 7" screens to put in your dash and you are set.
Well I really don't know much about electronics so pardon me if it is a stupid question !
Old 28th January 2009, 06:15   #47
sdh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
sdh,look at option of upgrading the motherboard for dual display support than finding pci graphics support.
This weekend I looked PCI VGA card. Bought one but it is slightly higher. So the real dual screen option now is to have motherboard that supports extended desktop. Any suggestions on what is available in India. I have seen that intel atom mini itx boards are easily available in local market (SP Road). I checked about other mini itx boards and got a blank look.
Old 28th January 2009, 12:21   #48
Senior - BHPian

The dealers haven't woken up to other possibilities, or the other companies in Taiwan haven't woken up to the market size in India. Intel is an early mover and flooding the market with boards, realizing nowhere else in the world (apart from China) would there be a demand for miniITX boards in volume for NetPC needs.

Of course there are a few other miniITX boards available in India, but only through specific dealers - not in the general market. VIA sells VB-7001G board which costs 10K or so (Board , Power Supply module & 512 MB memory). Advantech is still behaving hoity-toity, all because they associate themselves with Industrial Controls. The simplest of their miniITX boards is priced 24K!!!

Isn't the Extended Desktop mode only a function of RAM organization on the display card, and not the rest of the MB?
Old 28th January 2009, 13:10   #49
sdh
BHPian

Well, my dell latitude which is now a few years old already does extended desktop with VGA and S-Video connectors. I am sure it is intel driver issue, which they should resolve and not stick to stand that it is not designed to do so. What is the use of S-Video connector. The main reason I bought this board compared to D945GCLF was thinking that extended desktop will be feasible (similar to my dell).

I dont want to jackup the whole cost by going for a 10k mobo. So will still try and explore what can be done with the constraints that I have now.
Old 4th February 2009, 23:11   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdh View Post
This weekend I looked PCI VGA card. Bought one but it is slightly higher. So the real dual screen option now is to have motherboard that supports extended desktop. Any suggestions on what is available in India. I have seen that intel atom mini itx boards are easily available in local market (SP Road). I checked about other mini itx boards and got a blank look.
Zotach 8200 is available I heard heavnt checked personally
Old 9th February 2009, 13:09   #51
sdh
BHPian

Thanks Amit. not gettign time to go to SP road and check out. Still buying a 3-4K graphics card nullifies the whole low cost option given by Atom motherboard. It is really stupid of intel not to support extended desktop on s-video. The board would have been a killer if they did that.

Has anyone any idea if PCI raiser cards are avialbel in India.
Old 9th February 2009, 13:24   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Amit. not gettign time to go to SP road and check out. Still buying a 3-4K graphics card nullifies the whole low cost option given by Atom motherboard. It is really stupid of intel not to support extended desktop on s-video. The board would have been a killer if they did that.

SDH best option for you under these circumstances is to look for a
ATI Raedon HD2400 Pro based card it is 9 W idle / 15 W peak and cheap.
This is the lowest power rating card and available in India.

Actually I was doubtful about the dual display capability of Atom based baord as the MM capability listed for board are fairly limited.
So was waiting till now on Atom board. Funny part is that in Bangalore only D945GCLF is available I asked many dealers for D945GCLF2 but they try to pass D945GCLF instead so I delayed the whole project untill I find a suitable alternative.
Old 19th February 2009, 09:38   #53
sdh
BHPian

Has anyone used USB to VGA dongle (if I may call it). Any hints on additional CPU load and quality of video playback.
Old 22nd February 2009, 00:00   #54
BHPian

Nice work really must say Dream works here... ;-)
Old 22nd February 2009, 19:01   #55
BANNED

Quote:
i teried finidng it but no luck . so i ordered it off ebay from tiawan. it will be shipped on monday at costed me around Rs.1200
Old 24th February 2009, 10:00   #56
sdh
BHPian

Guys, one more observation. yesterday night, while waiting at a red light, the computer went into hibernation (power settings are set for hibernation on pressing power button) with the engine still running and head lights ON. The PSU is configured to shut down the computer if battery voltage (input voltage) falls below 11v. What I also see is that if I just turn the key half (ignition on, engine still not cranked), the computer comes on and then after a minute or so, goes to hibernate again.

Now my question is, is there enough juice in the swift alternator to run all the additional systems and charge the battery too.

I know what additional wattage is consumed by some of the components.
LCD: 10W
Computer: 35W (approx)
Amp (JBLGT5-A604): ??

Has anyone experienced this.
Old 24th February 2009, 12:45   #57
BANNED

Quote:
Guys, one more observation. yesterday night, while waiting at a red light, the computer went into hibernation (power settings are set for hibernation on pressing power button) with the engine still running and head lights ..............
well i think you have a lose connection at where you give power from ignition to the PSU. PSU shouldn't give command to the computer to hibernate. try checking you connections.
Old 24th February 2009, 13:01   #58
sdh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty9991 View Post
well i think you have a lose connection at where you give power from ignition to the PSU. PSU shouldn't give command to the computer to hibernate. try checking you connections.
Well, PSU has 2 pins connecting to power on/off switch on mobo. PSU will use this output to power on and off the CPU. What action has to be done on the mothor board is configured in power options and I have configured it to hibernate and not switch off.

This is the first time I have seen this issue. I will try and check again, but I am pretty sure the PSU instructed the system to go to standby (hibernate in my case). I will measure voltage of my alternator today under different situations.
Old 24th February 2009, 14:00   #59
BANNED

Quote:
Well, PSU has 2 pins connecting to power on/off switch on mobo. PSU will use this output to power on and off the CPU. What action has to be done on the mothor board is configured in power options and I have configured it to hibernate and not switch off.

This is the first time I have seen this issue. I will try and check again, but I am pretty sure the PSU instructed the system to go to standby (hibernate in my case). I will measure voltage of my alternator today under different situations.
i dont think the voltage is that much dropped to power up the PSU.
i remember once i was setting my carputer my battery died as i forgot starting the to charge it a little. the self did not work at all while the computer was working and the screen was shutting down again and again. so this mean the PSU can hold to much longer than 11 or 10 volts on battery.
Old 3rd March 2009, 05:45   #60
sdh
BHPian

I measured voltages at the battery termnal:
With engine running: 14V
With engine off and ign key mid position: 12.5 volts

Still without engine runninig, the computer shuts down after about 30 seconds. Why?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks