Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2009, 20:47   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
In an ideal world - yes. In an ideally tuned setup - not necessarily.

Starting at the 6V position, you could keep the head unit at about 80% of the volume with an original CD of your favorite music playing, and then slowly turn the gain knob clockwise till the point where distortion is audible from the speakers connected to the concerned channels. Then turn it down a tiny bit and leave it at that.

This will not be the 4V position . But it should serve well with music.
Thanks for your inputs B&T. This is the way I have tuned my current setup, but was curious about matching the pre-out voltage.
Old 18th March 2009, 12:08   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok
The Polk Momo comps shown have a "Dual Input" (or similarly named feature). They have a switch on each XO where you can choose a "single input" or a "dual input". If you choose "single", a single channel of the amp can power the midbass & tweeter.

If you choose "dual", there will be two wires going into the XO as input -- one for the midbass (one channel of the amp) and one one for the tweeter (another channel of the amp). This way, two channels of the amp will feed one XO. And (from the output are of the XO) each tweeter will be fed by a channel of the amp, and each midbass will be fed by a channel of the amp.
Thanks Hydra that explains well
Old 18th March 2009, 16:10   #48

Seems like I missed a lot. Was travelling hence couldn't reply. Thanks to Hydra and B&T for explaining things. I am not good in that. Yes, the passive crossover is still connected. Hence the setup is not fully active. I read somewhere that in dual mode, the xo acts as a two separate units, one for each channel. Is that true?
Old 19th March 2009, 10:54   #49

Here comes another reason to go bi-amping. Since the midbass is running on separate channel, I could use the TA to elevate the sound stage. Now the drum beats are seemingly coming from the tweeter location. Many instruments have come to the level of dash board. Sounds very different.

Anyways, the car is going in for some major changes without changing anything installed. Let's see how it turns out to be.
Old 4th April 2009, 13:46   #50
Senior - BHPian

iPlay Reloaded!!!

iPlay, you should update!

I listened to this car (after last week's reload-session) yesterday. I would say this is the best Polk installation I've listened to. Naysayers of Polk should listen to this car and cry their hearts out.

- Excellent soundstage: as deep as the middle of the bonnet. Not as wide as I'd like, but the depth is just something else.

- Sit in the car and close your eyes, and you can't make out where the tweeters are placed. You just cannot make out that the tweeters are placed low on the A-pillar: The tweeters integrate with the midbass so well.

- Smooooth highs. Yep, from a pair of Polk MOMO comps. I doubt if I'd have been able to say this about a Polk MOMO. Don't believe me, just listen to this car.

There are a couple more things, but I think iPlay should tell us first -- I don't want to steal his thunder.

JayZ, do pitch-in with your impressions too!
Old 4th April 2009, 13:57   #51
Senior - BHPian

oh i know about the other thing. actually the thing in the boot.
lets allow iplay to elaborate :-)
Old 4th April 2009, 14:10   #52
BANNED

Hmm...
I heard it from the man who did the install too.
Can't believe it's the Polks in there.

iPlay, make sure you come for the F1 meet tomorrow. Wanna listen to your car man!
Old 4th April 2009, 14:16   #53
Senior - BHPian

i cannot believe it! I've always thought the momos were the first thing to dump - they used to sound so weird!

I guess it goes to show that the way a system is tuned matters more than the equipment list
Old 4th April 2009, 15:17   #54
BHPian

Just can't wait to hear iPlay's setup, the Momo comps are the loudest,shrillest comps I have ever heard but these rave reviews coming from hydra and Jayz has me flabbergasted.
Old 4th April 2009, 20:34   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
iPlay, you should update!
Here I am.

As hinted in my last post, swift underwent a major make over in the ICE front. After taking some wrong turns regarding the installation and equipments, finally ended up at Emperor, Cochin.

I think there are only a few good reviews (infact only one, I guess) about Polk components here. They are known for their harsh and bright reproduction. It was exactly like that in my previous installation. Bi-amping had made it bit better but still not anywhere near the sound quality expected of speakers in that range. Even before going to Zuhemi's place, it was decided that the polk should go. To my surprise, Mr.Z didn't say anything about changing the components. Then I asked him about the compo. He assured me that I will be delighted to hear how the Polk sounds after the installation. Honestly I considered it as his over confidence or ignorance. But next day morning, I was humbled. We both got in and put the first CD. It was Chris Rhea, I have no idea what he did to the ICE, but it sounded magical. Zuhemi is a genius. No doubt about that. We played a few more CDs from his test CD collection. Totally awesome. The way music filled the car is totally unexplainable. You cant really make out where the sound is coming from. First time I felt the presence of kick bass in my car. Vocals are very clear, detailed and smooth. Lot of instruments, which were previously muted, came alive. The whole sound stage has come to a higher level. Lets talk about the tweeters. They were difficult ones to tame. I think Z has done quite a lot of work to control them. He told me only yesterday that an acoustic chamber of some specific design were used for the tweeters. They sound really sweet now.

The changes made to the setup are...

1. Previous damping is completely removed and all the 4 doors re-damped from scratch using Dynamat.
2. Changed RCA, power cables, speakers cables etc. Specific cables were used for tweeters and woofer considering the bi-amp set up.
3. Front speakers reinstalled. Tweeters sound (even look) different now.
4. Amps have gone under the front seats.
5. One set of Alpine co-axials were added to the rear doors. They are driven from the HU directly. JayZ got a mild shock to hear that they are not amped.

Now the best part.
As per Z's suggestion, a new sub in sealed enclosure was added in place of the old one. Pics will tell the rest. I have no words to describe the performance of this sub. But no need for me to say anything. Its already a legend here. New sub completely changed my perception towards low fewq department. It plays really fast and deep. Completely blends with the rest of the components.

Whatever I say is not sufficient to describe the way music sounds in my car now.

Cochin bhpians, I will be there for the meet tormorrow. After seeing Anup's reaction when he heard my ICE, I would only be glad to show off. Thanks a lot for your kind words. Hoping to meet you all.

TVM bhpians, be ready for a surprise. I will be visiting next weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Swift gets the ICE setup-sub1.jpg  

Swift gets the ICE setup-sub2.jpg  

Old 4th April 2009, 21:20   #56
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPlay View Post
After taking some wrong turns regarding the installation and equipments, finally ended up at Emperor, Cochin.
Wrong turns are a common thing in the world of ICE. But the best part of it is the satisfaction and relief one gains after reaching the right place.

Quote:
I think there are only a few good reviews (infact only one, I guess) about Polk components here. They are known for their harsh and bright reproduction. It was exactly like that in my previous installation.
To say the truth, I'm yet to hear a modern Polk install which sounds great. Some where okay okay, but never managed to give me goose bumps.
Your setup would be the first one to do so, I assume. Come tomorrow!
Quote:
But next day morning, I was humbled. We both got in and put the first CD. It was Chris Rhea, I have no idea what he did to the ICE, but it sounded magical.
This is something I have heard many a times from different people who have gone thru similar experiences with Zuhemi.

Quote:
Zuhemi is a genius. No doubt about that.
X100 to that. You can say that again and again. We can even shout it out to the world with pride.
Many a times, I sincerely thank god that he has blessed us with this man in our neighbourhood.

I'll not shy a bit to say that he is one of the best ICE installers in the world I've met till date.
Quote:
The changes made to the setup are...

1. Previous damping is completely removed and all the 4 doors re-damped from scratch using Dynamat.
2. Changed RCA, power cables, speakers cables etc. Specific cables were used for tweeters and woofer considering the bi-amp set up.
3. Front speakers reinstalled. Tweeters sound (even look) different now.
4. Amps have gone under the front seats.
5. One set of Alpine co-axials were added to the rear doors. They are driven from the HU directly. JayZ got a mild shock to hear that they are not amped.
Man! That's a whole hog job. Happy to see that you've finally reached the heaven of ICE satisfaction. Sad to know that you had to go thru a complete re install, that's like doing two installs.

Quote:
Its already a legend here..... .... ... Completely blends with the rest of the components.
Yes. I agree. That's a great sub. Compliments to any surrounding it is put into. Gels well with most of the speakers. And it's sound is sure music!

It's blending character is the most distinguishing feature.
Quote:
Cochin bhpians, I will be there for the meet tormorrow... .... ... Hoping to meet you all.
Yeah! We're all waiting here with garlands!
Old 4th April 2009, 23:56   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
This is something I have heard many a times from different people who have gone thru similar experiences with Zuhemi.
X100 to that. You can say that again and again. We can even shout it out to the world with pride.
Many a times, I sincerely thank god that he has blessed us with this man in our neighbourhood.
I'll not shy a bit to say that he is one of the best ICE installers in the world I've met till date.
Have to agree with you totally.

Zuhemi is totally different from the rest of the installers. I saw a lot of qualities which makes him unique. First and foremost is his love for music. Got to say, he is crazy about music, which makes him toil hard to make any system sound better. Secondly, even with the vast experience and knowledge he has, he still considers himself as a learner. He still longs to improve his own level of standards. As a perfectionist, he maintains high quality workmanship. Above all, he values every penny spent from our pocket for any work done at his place and he makes sure we get cent percent satisfaction.
I am deeply indebted to him for the work he has done in my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Yeah! We're all waiting here with garlands!
Garlands are for Ashok Hyderabadi, right?
Old 5th April 2009, 02:32   #58
Senior - BHPian

iPlay wow. Congrats once again. Which model sub is that. IDQ or ID. V2 or V3 ?

The sub reminds me of hydra's sub. hmm maybe because of the box design.
Old 5th April 2009, 09:11   #59
Senior - BHPian

heh heh heh. From day 1, I had been advicing iplay to go to Z's place, even before he knew me, through a mutual friend of ours. even after he got his install done from elsehwere , i told him that true salvation would be attained only if he swallowed his prejudice and went there. Twice he refused. I thought there might be no hope.

Then one day the dude calls me up and starts gushing about what happened and how good Mr Z is. I listen to an hour or so before I cut him short. He was preaching to the converted . I'd been trying to tell him this all along. Glad that he realized this and went sooner rather than later, and saved losing more of his precious money and time !
Old 5th April 2009, 10:13   #60
Senior - BHPian

Nice review, iPlay! Congrats again! The Kochi gang is looking forward to listening to your car today.

@abhibh, the sub is an IDQ d2v2. Same version as the one in my car, as you said.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks