Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2009, 17:13   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Suggest the Best Music System for a Scorpio

Friends I have booked a Scorpio LX today and expect the delivery in the next two weeks.The LX comes with the 2.2 L mHawk engine, PW, AC and is a nine seater (there is an option for a 7 seater too but I opted for the 9 seater). This does not come with a music system so would like to hear from you about which 4 speaker MP3/CD player suits it the best.The OE Nippon fitted to the higher end models is not available with the dealer. I would have preferred it the most.
Anyway would like to hear from you all please.
Old 27th March 2009, 17:18   #2
BHPian

Congrats buddy! Which color have you opted for and how much will be the OTR price? Did you ask your dealer to give you 8-seater option (dealer adjustment)?

Pardon me for going OT!

Cheers,
Deepak
Old 27th March 2009, 17:22   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Deep. The on road price is 7.88L in Maharashtra. I have chosen the mist silver colour. The 8 seat option is available, but thats just two wider rear folding bench seats, in case extra persons want to ride.For the eight seater the two rear benches have one seat each. So its either 2+3+4 (9) or 2+3+2 (7) options in the LX model.
Old 27th March 2009, 17:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Tell us the budget so that a good system can be recommended.
Also your music preference.
Old 27th March 2009, 17:29   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The OE Nippon fitted to the higher end models is not available with the dealer. I would have preferred it the most.
Anyway would like to hear from you all please.
Dont go in for a Nippon Unit, their sound quality is pathetic, i have a nippon unit in my swift Dzire.

I would suggest you go in for a basic Pio/ kenwood/ Blau unit which would be much better choice.

From your requirements i feel that you would be looking in for a basic four speaker setup.

Speakers, you can go in for the compos from Hertz/JBL/Illusions range for the front stage and a decent 6x9(Again JBL/ hertz/ Infinity) for the rears!

By the way what is your budget for the ICE. If that is known more refined solutions can be given.

Nandan
Old 27th March 2009, 17:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hehe congrats man but you posted in the wrong section
Old 27th March 2009, 17:42   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Thanks Deep. The on road price is 7.88L in Maharashtra. I have chosen the mist silver colour. The 8 seat option is available, but thats just two wider rear folding bench seats, in case extra persons want to ride.For the eight seater the two rear benches have one seat each. So its either 2+3+4 (9) or 2+3+2 (7) options in the LX model.
Its either the 7 seater or the 8 seater. IMO, 9 seaters dont come in Scorp's and pushing an extra in the seat meant for 3 people at the rear might cause all of them to throw up from the squishing

When did the dealer promise delivery? How many days/weeks/etc?
Old 27th March 2009, 19:44   #8
BANNED

Thank your fortune it doesn't come with that stock music system. Believe me or ask anybody here, it's pathetic and sounds horrible.

Now, to start with a basic system. Budget : 15k.
HU: 6K (Kenwood, Panasonic, JVC or Pioneer). Any entry level HU with more than one pre out will do. Keep an eye open for extra features like USB/iPod connectivity, ease of navigation, wider format compatibility etc.. should be noted. Different brands have different sound emphasizing habits, so choose according to your tastes.
Front speakers: 6k (JBL, Bull Audio, Hertz or Illusion). These should be component speakers (A k a splits). Choose the brand according to your listening tastes. If you'd like to avoid rear speakers, then get Rainbow SLX 265 component speakers. It costs around 9k.
Rear speakers: 3k (Same brand and series like your front speakers). These act as mere fillers to your front speakers. So, a pair of coaxial speakers would do the job here. If you plan to wrap up your whole ICE journey by these 3 steps, then it would be better to get 6X9" oval coaxial speakers for the rear as it will give you some necessary low end frequenzies which can only be perfected by a dedicated subwoofer otherwise. If you have a bigger budget or plans to keep the ICE journey going ahead, then get round 6.5" coaxial speakers for the rear now.
Wiring: 0k (use the supplied wiring with the speakers).

Budget : 20k.
An amp can be added to the above setup.

Budget : 25k.
A subwoofer can be added in addition to the amp.

Budget : 30k.
Better HU and front component speakers with rest as mentioned above. HU with 3 pre outs and better sound control for 9 - 10k or so. Rainbow SLX/SLC/SAX series of component speakers.

Budget : 50k.
Good quality wiring should be preferred. (Monster, Connection audison, Tsunami or Kicker). A good set of component speakers in the range of 15k and a better subwoofer can be considered too.

Budget : 60k or above.
This is serious territory. You have to explain all your listening preferences, tastes, choice of music and brand preferences etc.. before we go ahead with suggestions.

Happy ICEing at Team-bhp begins here.
Enjoy!
Old 27th March 2009, 20:01   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Its either the 7 seater or the 8 seater. IMO, 9 seaters dont come in Scorp's and pushing an extra in the seat meant for 3 people at the rear might cause all of them to throw up from the squishing

When did the dealer promise delivery? How many days/weeks/etc?
Many apologies. I see that the LX comes as a 9 seater. Have never seen on though. Does this mean that the front row of seats are not individual? How do you accommodate 4 on the last bench?
Old 27th March 2009, 20:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

Anjan,

Congrats on the decision. Wish you have a wonderful buying experience.

Good decision of not going with the stock unit.

But then, in this section, you might think otherwise!
Old 27th March 2009, 20:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

then get Rainbow SLX 265 component speakers. It costs around 9k.
Is SLX 265 really for 9K?? is this comps 5 or 6"??
Old 27th March 2009, 20:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Many apologies. I see that the LX comes as a 9 seater. Have never seen on though. Does this mean that the front row of seats are not individual? How do you accommodate 4 on the last bench?
@ Red Liner , This is a ICE Section buddy. Kindly restrict the discussion to ICE.

Do post in your budget and the gurus will let the options flow in
Old 28th March 2009, 06:46   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes RedLiner its 9 - the front has a 1+1 (individual seats), second row is a bench for seating three, of course with head rest units.The rear comes with old Tata Sumo like foldable, transverse seats on either sides. Means the occupants face other while being seated.These third row seats can seat four. Thats how its nine.
The delivery is expected by April 15th or so.
Thanks buddies Nandan, speedzak , abhinavgupta, Happywheels, abhibh, nitinralli. Nandan and speedzak I am keeping your suggestions handy and will decide accordingly.My budget should be around Rs 20K and not more.
Nandan its really news to me that the Nippon unit performance is below par. In fact I was on the verge of buying a DZire ZDi (already booked and delivery was assured by April 2nd) but switched over to this beasty Scorpio only yesterday.Or else it would have been the Nippon here!
The genre of music I listen to is western pop -country,hip-hop, ballads, some hard rock, heavy metal too and so on
Hindi old and new Bollywood hits.
But the joke is that children switch on the FM when with you and your genre is all gone! But for long distances the FM is all gone and the genres are in!

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 28th March 2009 at 06:59.
Old 28th March 2009, 09:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

@speedzak: that was one of the most informative and useful posts and you should keep this pasted somewhere and post whenever someone starts off with his ice journey here :-) (stickkkkkky)

20k is a good amount buddy. a good HU and 2 sets of components are required in the scorpio since its a big car. i'd say a kenwood 5539 for about 5.5k and the rest of the money on 2 good sets of components should do the job for you.
if you are not happy with the bass from the components only, then I suggest you get amplifiers for the components and a subwoofer (along with another amp for it) later on.

Last edited by frankmehta : 28th March 2009 at 09:29.
Old 28th March 2009, 09:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

20k - Get a Good HU - Pioneer / Kenwood for around 6k.
Go for Compos At front and back - Illusion / JBL / Bull Audio - 6-7k
Use Speaker cables from illusion.
Cost 1050 for 1.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks