Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2009, 12:44   #1
BHPian

Component Speakers without Amplifier

Hi - would request some help here. I have a Pioneer 6050 UB 2 DIN system, along with Bull Audio Components (front) and JBL 6x9 (rear). No amplifier.

Give me quite a decent and powerful sound (considering there is no amp) Of late I have noticed that on certain 'thump' beats (Robert Miles 'Children' - the constant dum-dum-dum) the front components give a cracking after-sound. Similarly for other similar 'thump' sounds.

The installer said its due to lack of an amplifier, or they suggest that I put the HPF at 125 Hz. While the HPF idea reduces that sound, it kills all bass in the car because this Pioneer doesnt have separate settings for front and rear.

Will putting an amp to run the rear and compos solve this problem? Also, will there be any improvement in overall sound with the amp?

The recession has stalled all my plans of upgrading to a good quality woofer + amp, so an 'amp-only' workaround would suit my current spending plans.

Please advise. Much appreciated !

Abhishek
abhishek3030 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2009, 14:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

get a 4 channel amp and power the fronts and the rears. The Amp will allow you to HPF the fronts and LPF the rears. This will improve the sound by leaps and bounds and you will enjoy your music. The sub can be added later, and the rears can be run off the head unit then.
Old 8th April 2009, 14:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Abhishek, as I mentioned to you the other day, go for a budget 4/2 channel for the time being. When you add a sub later, you can go for a dedicated mono (since you have a sedan) or if still on a budget, use 2 bridged channels of the amp for the sub.

KAC 8401/JBL GT5/Blaupunkt all are good, under ~5k budget 4 channels.
Old 8th April 2009, 15:14   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
get a 4 channel amp and power the fronts and the rears. The Amp will allow you to HPF the fronts and LPF the rears. This will improve the sound by leaps and bounds and you will enjoy your music. The sub can be added later, and the rears can be run off the head unit then.
Thanks for the note, Frank - sounds good. I guess an amp is the way to go if one needs good music
Old 8th April 2009, 15:16   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Abhishek, as I mentioned to you the other day, go for a budget 4/2 channel for the time being. When you add a sub later, you can go for a dedicated mono (since you have a sedan) or if still on a budget, use 2 bridged channels of the amp for the sub.

KAC 8401/JBL GT5/Blaupunkt all are good, under ~5k budget 4 channels.
Thanks Nishant - am gonna do just that. Spoke to a genuine (relatively) guy in Gurgaon about the Blaupunkt amp. 5700 with Bill + Warranty...hope to get it installed this week.
Old 8th April 2009, 15:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

go for the options Nishant mentioned. The Blaupunkt, or the JBL GT5-S644. The Kenwood 8401 is now defunct and out of production. The 8404 is not worth the extra cost. for that price you can get a 1004 in the grey market, which, for you is my choice of amplifer. the jbl gto1004. perfect amp for you. price in grey is 8.5k and with a warranty is 10.5k.
Old 8th April 2009, 16:03   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek3030 View Post

Give me quite a decent and powerful sound (considering there is no amp) Of late I have noticed that on certain 'thump' beats (Robert Miles 'Children' - the constant dum-dum-dum) the front components give a cracking after-sound. Similarly for other similar 'thump' sounds.

The installer said its due to lack of an amplifier, or they suggest that I put the HPF at 125 Hz. While the HPF idea reduces that sound, it kills all bass in the car because this Pioneer doesnt have separate settings for front and rear.

Will putting an amp to run the rear and compos solve this problem? Also, will there be any improvement in overall sound with the amp?
Are you sure that the sound is due to the lack of an amplified signal?

What kind of sound is that you get.Cracking type caused due to the door panels vibrating and Is it only during low frequency signals? Can be due to high volume levels also.

In what car is this installed and if installed on the doors, is that Damped?

Any way putting and amp will always make your compos sound more lively.

Nandan
Old 8th April 2009, 16:43   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandan View Post
Are you sure that the sound is due to the lack of an amplified signal?
----------------
Any way putting and amp will always make your compos sound more lively.

Nandan
The car is a Corolla 2004, and to be true it could be due to the door panels vibrating. I plan on getting the front 2 doors damped as well...
Old 8th April 2009, 17:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek3030 View Post
Thanks Nishant - am gonna do just that. Spoke to a genuine (relatively) guy in Gurgaon about the Blaupunkt amp. 5700 with Bill + Warranty...hope to get it installed this week.
I think the price is slightly higher, unless its with B&W. Chandigarh people have been reporting it around 4.5k with B&W.

Infact, you could PM Nitin Dangayach. He also got that same quotation in Gurgaon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
go for the options Nishant mentioned. The Blaupunkt, or the JBL GT5-S644. The Kenwood 8401 is now defunct and out of production. The 8404 is not worth the extra cost. for that price you can get a 1004 in the grey market, which, for you is my choice of amplifer. the jbl gto1004. perfect amp for you. price in grey is 8.5k and with a warranty is 10.5k.
Yes, thatsanother nice option. Spend a little extra right away and go for the 1004. That ways, you will be future proof, when you get your sub (which I believe should be GZMKII, in a sealed box, knowing your music tastes)
Old 10th April 2009, 22:56   #10
BHPian

Installed the Blaupunkt GTA 4 Mk II - sounds good, but alternator whine on low volumes. Will get it checked tomorrow - hopefully the shop will get it rectified soon.
Old 11th April 2009, 03:41   #11
BHPian

Why is this problem very specific to Blaupunkt Amplifiers ? almost everyone who have installed the same amp have complained regarding noise or alternator whine.
Old 11th April 2009, 12:32   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
Why is this problem very specific to Blaupunkt Amplifiers ? almost everyone who have installed the same amp have complained regarding noise or alternator whine.
Not me ! I never had any such problem of alternator whine or noise from the Blaupunkt GT4MKII Amp till date.
Old 11th April 2009, 12:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

i had also used blau mkII and never had any problem,this looks like the grounding cable is loose.
Old 11th April 2009, 13:52   #14
BHPian

I have seen six cars installed with the same amplifiers and all of them faced more or less the same problem.

An ICE Technician in Mumbai explaining to his client about the Blaupunkt's noise issue "Saar the Blaupunkt amplifier is a very good and sensitive amplifier that it even picks up the small noises that your alternator makes"
Old 11th April 2009, 14:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

Same problem here gta 2 mk2 and alternator whine

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks