Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2005, 22:59   #16
Team-BHP Support

my collection: 450 CDs rock from the 60s and 70s. 60 Jazz. 50 classical. and 40 New age.

thanks for the help but i was a bit impatient so after googling around I managed to find a way to do this......automatically......all one has to do is feed a new CD to the CD drive everytime it opens.

i downloaded the CDDB database from freedb.org. about 300MB in RAR format.

Then I downloaded Rip'N Tag it a software that automatically recognises the CD and tags the songs while ripping.

then i downloaded media monkey which allows to to catalog the music any way i want.

had a few mins spare today so i ran a trial. took me about 2 hours to rip and tag 35 CDs at 256k CBR.

all this is freeware and if i remember correctly is available on Linux as well as Windows.

But i digress....i feel one of the moderators on my back. :-)

BTW once i burn all my CDs how do i carry it in the car? How much does an Ipod cost locally. will Ipod recognise all the playlists created by another MP3 software (in my case Media Monkey)?

Sorry for being stupid but being on the wrong side of 40 means I am not as savvy as most of you guys regarding these technical things.

Last edited by navin : 25th May 2005 at 23:07.
Old 25th May 2005, 23:05   #17
Senior - BHPian

hey navin - nice info there ! will surely help out a lotta people here!!

cheers
Old 25th May 2005, 23:19   #18
BANNED

Why shouldnot the radio work

Anywayz @ Navin - there was some advertisement about ipod costing 8k DOnt know exactly.. though

Last edited by Montoya : 25th May 2005 at 23:22.
Old 25th May 2005, 23:19   #19
BANNED

Happy Bday Viper

Its better to get from local since any problems may occur you will be on the safer side.

Happy bday Viper..
Old 25th May 2005, 23:36   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montoya
Why shouldnot the radio work
please see post 12
this is applicable to very few current models though.
Old 26th May 2005, 00:03   #21
Senior - BHPian

it definitly better to get it from here because if there is any problem you can always go and get it exchanged or repaired. i would suggest you get it from here itself.

happy birthday viper !!!!

Rev
Old 26th May 2005, 01:31   #22
SMG
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
my collection: 450 CDs rock from the 60s and 70s. 60 Jazz. 50 classical. and 40 New age.

thanks for the help but i was a bit impatient so after googling around I managed to find a way to do this......automatically......all one has to do is feed a new CD to the CD drive everytime it opens.

i downloaded the CDDB database from freedb.org. about 300MB in RAR format.

Then I downloaded Rip'N Tag it a software that automatically recognises the CD and tags the songs while ripping.

then i downloaded media monkey which allows to to catalog the music any way i want.

had a few mins spare today so i ran a trial. took me about 2 hours to rip and tag 35 CDs at 256k CBR.

all this is freeware and if i remember correctly is available on Linux as well as Windows.

But i digress....i feel one of the moderators on my back. :-)

BTW once i burn all my CDs how do i carry it in the car? How much does an Ipod cost locally. will Ipod recognise all the playlists created by another MP3 software (in my case Media Monkey)?

Sorry for being stupid but being on the wrong side of 40 means I am not as savvy as most of you guys regarding these technical things.

The best of best CD ripping software combo is EAC/LAME, nothing comes closer to it. And it is free.

Don't know iPod pricing in India, in US, iPod prices are:

iPod Shuffle 512MB $99
iPod Shuffle 1 G $149
iPod Mini 4GB $189
iPod Mini 6GB $249
iPod 20 GB $299
iPod Photo 30GB $349
iPod Photo 60 GB $449

I believe prices in India are almost double. (I am talking about prices at Apple Stores in India and not gray market)

iTunes from Apple (comes with every iPod) is the best music management software ever written and it is available on both Mac and Windows format, I don't know any other software that can work with iPod , perhaps MusicMatch has some basic interface.

I never tried anything else other than iTunes.
Old 26th May 2005, 09:53   #23
Team-BHP Support

EAC? Easy Audio Converter? I found something called Easy Audio CD Burner but it was not freedb enabled. Hence I used Rip N tag it. what does LAME stand for? where does one download free versions of this software?

thanks for the $ prices but i am still looking for Rs. pricing. Does not iTunes require a subscription to Apple music download software (forget name) and this subscription is not available for India.

Please forgive the silly questions. I am not MP3 literate.
Old 26th May 2005, 20:34   #24
SMG
BHPian

No Sir, it is not Easy Audio CD but 'Exact Audio Copy' !
Go to 'http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/eac6.html' grab your free copy.

'LAME' is a recursive acronym that stands for LAME Ain't an MP3 Encoder. The name was fashion back when the source was not an encoder. But it is now. The acronym is fashioned after GNU, which stands for GNU's Not Unix!

Go to 'http://mp3.radified.com/eac_lame.htm'
By the way the above site is almost a bible of MP3 !

No subscription is requires to Apple iTunes Music Store (ITMS) for using iTunes, it is a fantastic program for Music Library Management. You need subscription (read : Account) only when you want to buy Music from ITMS. You can rip CD using any MP3 ripper (like EAC/LAME, MUSIC MATCH, Roxio, iRiver etc.) and use iTunes to manage that. Simple.

iTunes can be downloaded from Apple site (www.apple.com) for free. It works on Mac, Win2000, Win XP (sorry no Win98 and below)

Hope this helps.

Last edited by SMG : 26th May 2005 at 20:40.
Old 27th May 2005, 09:56   #25
Team-BHP Support

see i know i was off the track. thanks SMG. BTW is EAC or LAME freedb/CDDB enabled so i dont have to manually enter the track and artist (ID3) details?

BTW what is the difference between the EAC and LAME. I assume u'd use EAC to rip/burn but what is LAME used for then?

BTW GNU came from XINU. Xinu Is Not Unix.

please......dont call me Sir. That term of endearment is reserved for Rudra Sen. :-) he is older than me and he is a moderator!

Last edited by navin : 27th May 2005 at 10:03.
Old 27th May 2005, 10:50   #26
Team-BHP Support

EAC is fantastic. there is a noticeble difference in quality between ripNtagit and EAC. thanks SMG. BTW it can handle remote as well as local freedb/CDDB databases. thanks SMG.
Old 27th May 2005, 11:24   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There was an ad for iPod starting at 8k so I am guessing the price was about iPod Shuffle 512MB
but since you have large collection makes sence to go for bigger memory players

as for transferreing music u'll need iTunes & it will do the job of transferring music & writting playlist automatically
Old 27th May 2005, 11:52   #28
Team-BHP Support

ok SMG i need some help. after spending time reading 17 pages (on the hydrogen audio forum) of how to setup codecs for LAME in EAC (compression options/external compression) I am confused. you can PM me at navin@vsnl.com I want to rip/burn (what was wrong with "record") at 256kbps CBR.

Last edited by navin : 27th May 2005 at 11:54.
Old 27th May 2005, 20:19   #29
SMG
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
see i know i was off the track. thanks SMG. BTW is EAC or LAME freedb/CDDB enabled so i dont have to manually enter the track and artist (ID3) details?

BTW what is the difference between the EAC and LAME. I assume u'd use EAC to rip/burn but what is LAME used for then?
EAC rips a CD into wav format tracks (huge in size 10 MB/min) while LAME converts wav file into MP3 (size 100KB...2.5MB depending on compression).

You may need to use 'RazorOne' as a front end to use LAME .

Hope this helps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks