Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2009, 12:20   #16
BHPian

I think you can do better.

[QUOTE
But, In my case my main purpose of going for Dual 8" was that to have them in small enclosure, yet should sound musical, tight, and by going dual they would be loud. So, is it worth having dual 8" setup against the single 10"? Will it be as good as single 10" or better, incase the drivers are the same ?

What I wanna know is how much of difference will it be between dual 8" and single 10" in terms of tight musical bass is concerned and clean of course given the fact that they would both have identical requirement of enclosure, .5 to .6 cu.ft.
[/quote]

You have mentioned the word tight in relation to bass a couple of times and hence my advice to you to either buy or design an enclosure that takes drivers in a push pull configuration in a single enclosure and never dual enclosures in such a small environment. You cannot get tighter bass than 2 eight inch active drivers in a single enclosure and add glass wool to the sealed enclosure till you get the tightness you want. Please google for push pull bass drivers.
This set up won't be very loud but I think you are a mature listener and not one of the posers since you asked specifically for tight bass. If the thup of the kick drum sounds like an electronic drum with the humongous thud sound throw that set away or modify it. Visit your nearest musical instrument shop to know what the thup sounds like. No two bass drums are going to sound the same but it will always have a thup sound which lesser speakers just cannot replicate. Lesser speaker designs always give a thud sound which is false but liked by a majority of listeners especially movie freaks.
Blue Sky Introduces SUB 212 400W Push-Pull Active Sub & SAT 8 300W Compact Mid-Field Monitor - Blue Sky - 2009-04-01 | Harmony-Central.com

Product Review -

Last edited by drpullockaran : 3rd May 2009 at 12:28.
Old 3rd May 2009, 13:47   #17
BHPian

@invisible: I can see the point you are trying to make. you will need to have two exact same drivers to get good output. two different units unless matched to perfection are just bad news. the momo subs are anyday better than the db series. though its the db that seems to sell more. product wise they are far far better. tight and crisp. lets try this get bass box pro and see what you can work with to get the twins to work well. you can try the following combos two seperate boxes, one single box unported, one box ported and a push-pull. the hardest to make will be the last though it has a lot of promise. a nice example though i don't like saying it myself is the bose jewel cube series pushpull sub. its built i believe with 3 drivers. i still like the single ported box idea though.
Old 3rd May 2009, 14:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

My take on 8 , 10 ,12 , 15. Listen to all available options. I have seen 12 inch subs which will sound good in terms of speed and tonal quality than 10 inches.

I would seriously recommend to audition the stuff before buying.

About the speed of the subs which is used here, a small write up. As it not only the good driver which is not the only factor....read the document and do let me know the comments.

WooferSpeed.pdf
Old 3rd May 2009, 14:09   #19
Senior - BHPian

lbm paaji. that was informative stuff. wish adire audio hadn't closed down :-(
Old 3rd May 2009, 14:15   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post

As for the sub: I initially thought of getting a shallow mount sub, but can't find a good one. So, thought of getting an ID, POLK, Dual 8" subs.
Does anyone know of a good shallow mount subs?
Also, called Kumar Agencies and it seems they don't have 8" DVC 4 ohm DB series sub with them, instead got an offer for POLK MOMO 8" DVC. How good are they ?

Autophile@ How good are ID series compared to IDQ series?
Shallow mount subs are of no use when put in the enclosure because they still need enclosure volume large enough to accommodate normal driver inside. Go for good quality subs.

You can easily find subs which perform well in under 0.7 cuft sealed enclosure.
Old 3rd May 2009, 14:58   #21
BANNED

I think a single 12 inch will generate more volume of air than 2 8 inch woofers .
A 10 inch might be a better choice depending on the type of music , space etc .
Old 3rd May 2009, 18:06   #22
BHPian

Gem of am article

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
read the document and do let me know the comments.

Attachment 131901
I wonder if there is a way to store this gem of an article by ADIREAUDIO in this forum in another place earmarked for gems alone. One of the most simple and down to earth articles to clear up misconceptions. Thanks for sharing this gem.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 3rd May 2009 at 18:08.
Old 4th May 2009, 10:25   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
I wonder if there is a way to store this gem of an article by ADIREAUDIO in this forum in another place earmarked for gems alone. One of the most simple and down to earth articles to clear up misconceptions. Thanks for sharing this gem.
Thanks..But still people do not care to read it and understand it.

My take on the sub will be atleast 10 inches which must have a good low end extension so that it can do sub-low freq duties. But 12 inch sub would be ideal for me.
Old 4th May 2009, 10:48   #24
BHPian

You can go for the 8 inch ID or IDQ ( not sure which it was ) . Sounds insane if installed correctly. Check out member MOJO's install on the forum. One of the finest installs ive heard.
Old 4th May 2009, 11:31   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
wish adire audio hadn't closed down :-(
with the good wishes of it's "friends" we expect Adire to restart once the US economy heads out of it's current recession. Frank I am sorry but if I gave you list of "friends" I'd have to kill you. but trust me Adire should one day be resurrected - I hope it does not go the Threshold way (with Mike Bladelius now gainfully occupied I dont htink Threshold will ever be back).

Quote:
My take on the sub will be atleast 10 inches which must have a good low end extension so that it can do sub-low freq duties. But 12 inch sub would be ideal for me.
LBM that is a good generalization. 10" is about the starting point for a good sub where you have adequate Sd so you dont have to push the Xmax too much and end up with a huge Mms. With 8" or smaller you need multiple woofers to produce adequate quantity and quality of bass.
Old 4th May 2009, 11:48   #26
Senior - BHPian

@invinsible, JB (Autophile) will not be able to answer your question about ID vs. IDQ on the open forum, as he deals in Image Dynamics products.

I have listened to a few installs with both the ID as well as the IDQ (but not in the 8" size). Given the same amount of power, the ID subs go louder than the IDQs. Again, given the same amount of power, the IDQs are faster and give tighter bass than the IDs.

If you want to choose between IDs and IDQs, I'd back the IDQs
Old 4th May 2009, 12:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
LBM that is a good generalization. 10" is about the starting point for a good sub where you have adequate Sd so you dont have to push the Xmax too much and end up with a huge Mms. With 8" or smaller you need multiple woofers to produce adequate quantity and quality of bass.
Yes, But with multiple woofer it will have add multiple distortions of the 8 inch sub when used in the low freq range and I think any 8 inch will distort a lot when played low that's the reason for not choosing a 8 inch driver for the sub-low freq duties. Minimum will be 10 inch driver and ideal would be 12 inch.
Old 4th May 2009, 12:16   #28
Senior - BHPian

LBM@ Thanks that was a great piece of info. Really helpful.
Also, auditioning the stuff here is gonna be tough job.

SK456@ Thanks. MOJO's install is very neat indeed. But, as I went through the thread I understood that instead of 1 12" the idea was to go for 2 8". Also noticed that the sub's are facing eachother, How effective is that ? Aren't the subs suppose to be facing the back?

I have been thinking on almost similar line in my head of getting two 8" and get them in fiberglass enclosure on the side wall. But Not sure who can do a good job with fiberglass here in bombay. So, changed my mind to look for a small enclosure either two subs together in one enclosure or two separate enclosure.

What Gunbir has mentioned on that thread is that they do go low and tight and all that in a CRV. Now, can it be possible to get the same low and tight response of these dual ID8 in a fabia which has almost half the boot space of that of CRV, if tuned accurately???
Old 4th May 2009, 12:25   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
What Gunbir has mentioned on that thread is that they do go low and tight and all that in a CRV. Now, can it be possible to get the same low and tight response of these dual ID8 in a fabia which has almost half the boot space of that of CRV, if tuned accurately???
Any 8 inch driver cannot go low like a 12 inch sub. I would request you to leave the quest of a 8 inch driver and go for a good 12 inch or 10 inch driver which you choose to your like. As there is no substitute for displacement.
Old 4th May 2009, 12:47   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any 8 inch driver cannot go low like a 12 inch sub..
VERY true.. there are companies who promote their product on their website/forums by saying that the drivers can go extremely low..whereby actually they're not.

Opt for either 10" or 12" from a reputed company and you'll be just fine!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks