Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2009, 22:53   #1
BHPian

Swift boot build:-Amp placement.

This is the way the amp was installed:-http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...tml#post646836
Now, I intend to place the amp(Or amps) in a better way,something like this:-http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...tech-boot1.jpg
Need inputs on various possibilities that can be considered(i.e. False floor,amp rack), half of the boot is covered by enc of sub,so I am left with one half of boot space to play with.I did think of putting up amp on back of rear seat(on the Side where sub enc is,to use the space,luggage can be taken care on other half of the boot).Reason i don't want to place on back of rear seat is, greater chances of amp getting scratched cause of bag and other stuff, then i thought of placing it on sub enc,which I rejected out right.
The priorities are:- 1) boot space 2) Protection of amp from scratches and adequate air flow.
I need some inputs,somehow I am not able to get something new in my mind,help would be appreciated.
Pics or links, will do wonders!
Old 5th May 2009, 23:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

why don't you install amp amp's on the boot floor .
Old 5th May 2009, 23:13   #3
BHPian

KK, for that i need to build a false floor, I just checked the swift's boot floor,it's made of thin MDF sheet, I am thinking of taking it out, and build a new floor of a thicker MDF and flush mount the amp, this way I will still be able to use the boot space.
Hydra's way is not possible,amp is longer then side space,won't fit in.
Old 5th May 2009, 23:18   #4
BHPian

Any possibilitys of getting rid of the spare wheel ? an amp rack is the easiest solution , also check out hydra's current setup.
Old 5th May 2009, 23:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

how about something like this
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1127428-post106.html
Old 5th May 2009, 23:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

check sam_786 & a crv install by gunbir where he had installed three genesis amp on the boot floo, check the pics you will get some idea how to do it

abhibh: i think you can read other person mind

Last edited by karankapoor : 5th May 2009 at 23:29.
Old 5th May 2009, 23:34   #7
BHPian

How about getting the rack build like Hydra(Like the one used for SRX4) and place it on back of rear seat, then use a plexi glass to cover the amp as and when luggage is stored in boot.For plexi glass the rack can have groves on both sides.This way the amp will be quite safe and I won't need to build a new floor!
Suggestions plz!
Old 5th May 2009, 23:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

will surely look good but again will require some place for this, while traveling you won't be able put big bags inside the boot, will say install them on the boot floor with some plexi top and some lighting will look bling check gunbir civic install where he had installed 2 id max in the spare wheel well.

by the which amp/amps are you installing
Old 5th May 2009, 23:59   #9
BHPian

Amps are not finalised yet! Till now i have bought an amp(LRX3.1k)and second would either be a DM or SIII 4 channel(You prefer 4 channel,then i can have four way active-long long term plan)
KK, I need to have spare wheel,can't take risk!
A draw back of the last option that i mentioned:- crossover placement,If in future I need to place crossovers then i have to look for another place to stack them.Then will be the second amp placement issue!
I feel, building a floor is better option,lets see!
Old 6th May 2009, 00:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

ref

hey gill you mean something like this,will save alot space+damage
Attached Thumbnails
Swift boot build:-Amp placement.-photo0106.jpg  

Old 6th May 2009, 00:08   #11
BHPian

You are right,this is what i have in mind, but the amp won't fit in there,it's bigger.
Old 6th May 2009, 00:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

why you have to sacrifice the spare wheel well, you can easily use the spare tire by lifting the amp board.

and for the xovers they can screwed on the amp board near the amp like in sam install.
Old 6th May 2009, 00:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

What you can do is place the amp on both the side and put a plexiglass cover over it or flush mouth it by making a MDF board.You can even mount it over the rear seat and cover it with MDF board,that will look slick.
Old 6th May 2009, 00:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

the problem is he wants to save the boot space, this way the depth will become less
Old 6th May 2009, 10:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

@gill, I just remembered that I owe you some pics (duhhh!!!!).

Won't the amp fit if it is placed vertically, like ||, instead of horizontally, like = ? I think that was what ramie-paaji was trying to say.

Options for amp placement:

1) On the back of the rear seat: Not recommended, as the boot-to-hatchdoor area becomes narrower, and you lose vertical loading space. Some of this loss can be avoided by fitting it as low as possible on the back of the rear seat. But the amp is still vulnerable to dings from luggage.

2) False Floor: Make a new floor with MDF, use it to fit the amp flat, put another MDF board over it, and load luggage and the sub on top. You will lose loading height, but this keeps the amp the most protected, and maximizes width of loading space. It minimizes risk of theft of the amp also. You might need to find a way of ventilating the false floor-area, so that the amp gets enough air to cool itself. The problems here are that you will find it tough to remove the spare-tyre. This setup will cost more overall. sam_786's setup will give you a good idea about how it can be done.

You can also think of a partial false floor also, covering just one side of the floor of the boot (Just enough space to fit the amp). The problem here is that the loading area will not be flat. But the spare-tyre can be accessed more easily.

3) Under the seat: Not an option, I guess as the amp is a long one.

4) Parcel-tray placement: Similar to l_b_m's old setup. Fabricate a strong frame (aluminium preferred), mount the amp on it and set it up in the boot, parcel-tray-style. This will not be easily removable on demand if tall objects need to be stored. The vertical loading space in the boot will be compromised.

5) On the roof, mounted upside down, just above and to the back of the rear seat: I don't know exactly how this could be achieved, but I know it can be done. My installer offered me this option when I asked him to save as much boot-space as possible. He has a HUGE Alpine amp setup on the roof of his Innova. This option is pretty unconventional and might need some serious thought & planning. This option saves maximum boot-space, but will be the most difficult to do right. Also I'm not a fan of inverted placement of amps.

Or, you can lose the spare-wheel, use the spare-wheel-well for the amp, and travel around with a spare tube. Not recommended at all. Which is why I don't consider it an option

Of all these, I'd try the false-floor option, or the partial false-floor option.

EDIT: Gill, you can probably use the plexiglass idea you'd mentioned, and mount the amp on the boot floor. Mounting it on the rear of the seat will compromise boot space (backseat-to-hatchdoor space)..

Last edited by hydrashok : 6th May 2009 at 10:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks