Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2009, 00:01   #1
BHPian

ICE Upgrade for Alto - Chandigarh

Hi guys

Am planning to get my Alto LXi ICE'd in a few days time.
What started with a budget of 15k initially has reached almost 28k

Anyways here are the details

Car: Alto LXi (will be self driven most of the times)
Budget: 25-28k
Music preferences: Lounge/Chill-out/Laid Back Smooth Bass
Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space?: Yes
Modify door panels? : Nope

After doing some reading at the forums, I've decided on the following setup

HU - Pioneer 5150B
Front Components - Illusion Audio EL 4.1 (thanks to B&T for shipping to Chandigarh)
Rear Ovals - Infinity 9623i
Amp - JBL GT5-S644
Subwoofer - JBL 12" (still not decided on the model no)

The total comes to around 28k.

So here are some queries that I have

1) Which 12" inch JBL sub should I choose?
(I've been quoted around 3k for a 1100W sub, any specific series that I should look for?)

2) What settings do I need to configure on the amp?
(The front components are rated at 35W RMS and are pricey, don't want to damage those)

3) From where should I get the installation done in Chandigarh?
(During my survey, I found Carlife - Sec 28 very reasonable in terms of price and knowledge. Does it stand true for the installations too considering wiring and sub-woofer boxes? Any specific installers I should be looking for?)

4) Which wiring kit should I go for?
(Decent quality and reasonably priced, nothing too fancy)

5) I plan to get the rear-ovals installed in a parcel tray and the sub-woofer in a removable box with male-female sockets. As for the placing the amplifier and cross-overs, am still undecided. Please suggest.)

Sorry for the long post but just want to be sure that am getting the right stuff and getting it installed the way it is meant to be.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10th June 2009, 10:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

3K for the JBL sub is not the right price.
I was quoted around 2.2K for it sometime back.
and I may pick it today or next week,for my car.

And regarding advice, i guess you have not been following chandigarh meets thread
Join us sometime,and get your brainwashed with IC'Y gurus around in chandigarh.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 10th June 2009 at 10:04.
Old 10th June 2009, 10:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Come and meet us at sector 28 on this saturday.. Major ICE will be installed in my car

You can decide on the spot dicussing other member presnt there..

For amp i suggest you to opt for JBL 1004 , it will be perfect for your setup as you are driving compos and sub so you need little more power.

Setting will be done after equipment is placed in inside your can and it will be tuned according to you.

I know a good installer but he doesn't know how to tune ( but we have good tuners in Chandigarh.. Abhibh listening?)

There are so many cables now avaiable in Chandigarh Kicker, Glider, Soundstream ,JBL fake & original, DLS etc etc

You can opt for parcel tray & removable box i think all have done this in their cars..

Last edited by chiragh_bir : 10th June 2009 at 10:14.
Old 10th June 2009, 10:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Why not try kenwood - so many guys have thrown away pio headunits after moving to kenny 6539 and suchlike
Old 10th June 2009, 10:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Why not try kenwood - so many guys have thrown away pio headunits after moving to kenny 6539 and suchlike
6539 is almost extinct now.
phew i got mine two weeks ago
Old 10th June 2009, 10:45   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I was quoted around 2.2K for it sometime back..
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelord View Post
(I've been quoted around 3k for a 1100W sub, any specific series that I should look for?)
2.2K or 3K for a JBL 110W subs? Are you guys sure? JBL subs sells for 5-6K+.

Sam can you clarify?
Old 10th June 2009, 10:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

Sam can you clarify?
I am not sure which one was it,i just asked the dealer to quote the price,while walking out,and he said 2.2K,didnt check the SUB,but he said its the 1100W one.
and the price without B&W I guess.
Old 10th June 2009, 10:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

they are talking abou grey.. 2300 confirmed !!
Old 10th June 2009, 12:08   #9
BHPian

Get a better amp , try Blau amps , they are reasonably priced .
Buy better front comps n leave rear speakers as for now .
Old 10th June 2009, 13:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If the model number of the sub is CS 1204/1205 then its from 2.3K-2.5K, If its GT5 series sub then the price quoted is right. Also do check if the sub is with bill & Warranty. As CS series did sell for 3.2K with bill.

2) What settings do I need to configure on the amp?
(The front components are rated at 35W RMS and are pricey, don't want to damage those)
It won't damage anything if the gains are set perfectly.

3) From where should I get the installation done in Chandigarh?
(During my survey, I found Carlife - Sec 28 very reasonable in terms of price and knowledge. Does it stand true for the installations too considering wiring and sub-woofer boxes? Any specific installers I should be looking for?)
Carlife is pretty reasonable. But his installers are not the best when it comes to a neat job. Just guide them and it all will be fine.

Keep and eye on the installers and make sure all your car (dashboard/doors etc) screws / plastic locks doesn't get misplaced.

4) Which wiring kit should I go for?
(Decent quality and reasonably priced, nothing too fancy)
JBL wiring costs Rs 2500.

5) I plan to get the rear-ovals installed in a parcel tray and the sub-woofer in a removable box with male-female sockets. As for the placing the amplifier and cross-overs, am still undecided. Please suggest.)
Crossovers can go under dash as you have 4" components. Amp either under seat or mounted behind the back seat
My replies in BOLD. I would suggest you try to get 6539 HU.

Quote:
I was quoted around 2.2K for it sometime back.
and I may pick it today or next week,for my car.

And regarding advice, i guess you have not been following chandigarh meets thread
Join us sometime,and get your brainwashed with IC'Y gurus around in chandigarh.
Arey it can GT5 series sub too paaji. Its costlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiragh_bir View Post

I know a good installer but he doesn't know how to tune ( but we have good tuners in Chandigarh.. Abhibh listening?)
i am not a tuner man. I just keep on trying stuff in my car and have learned that way. You gotta check my new tweeters positions LOL. Since past 1 week i have changed it 3 times.

Quote:
6539 is almost extinct now.
phew i got mine two weeks ago
Koi na i will get it arranged if anyone wants

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

Sam can you clarify?
Navinji the price is for gre(a)y market product

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit_chd View Post
Get a better amp , try Blau amps , they are reasonably priced .
Buy better front comps n leave rear speakers as for now .
I agree get Blau MKII AMP instead of JBL. Though i have not got my hands on the new 664 amp but comparing its older model with MKII, i think MKII is a better amp.

@thelord try to audition a few setups in Chandigarh. Few members like akshay4587, chirag_bir, maverick555 etc. The only con is they take money to give audition of their setups.

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th June 2009 at 10:57. Reason: Only 2 smilies per post allowed.
Old 10th June 2009, 13:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

get one 6539 for me man !
Old 10th June 2009, 13:48   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
You are right, I had talked about KENWOOD HUs being far better than PIOs a long time ago but not too many people at that time could get their hands on them because of availability. I have used a KDC-MP5039U in my zen and now i have an EXCELON X792 shipped from U.S. The sound quality is amazingly superior when compared to SONY and PIO. If i had to suggest anyone a unit today, i would definitely say that people should try the X series from Kenny (X7009U,X8009U and X9006U)
Old 10th June 2009, 14:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiragh_bir View Post
get one 6539 for me man !
Should i get it booked for you ? Price will be around 9K. + - Rs. 100.
Old 10th June 2009, 23:59   #14
BHPian

Thanks guys, for your replies.

@chiragh_bir
Even am planning to get the installation done on Saturday (if the components reach on time from Bombay that is). Will definitely catch you guys. As for JBL1004, that would shoot the budget up by too much. For the wiring brands, Kicker, Glider, Soundstream, JBL, which one would be the recommended kit for a budget of 2 - 2.5k. (JBL fakes, oh jeez, are the fakes well done, I mean hard to catch!?)

@ankit
I'll check out the Blau MKII amp. Is it priced in the same range as JBL GT5-S644 (6.8k with B&W). I actually auditioned an ICE setup in my friend's Swift. It was using the JBL A604 sub powering a 12" JBL CS sub and JBL 608c components. I loved the setup! Just the kind of sound am looking for. Not loud but soft, laid-back, sustainable bass with vocals and mids matching perfectly. I guess I belong to that category who'll tune the system sitting inside the car rather that standing 5 feet away tuning the 'dhamak' of the sub.

@abhibh
Thanks for the heads-up on the SUB series. I'll take a note. Is is advisable to buy the sub without B&W. Except for the HU, am actually planning to get everything else with B&W. As for the gains, I just checked, got some info from B&T to set the HPF to ~125Hz. Am actually not sure what that means but I guess I'll figure out once I get the amp.
Coming finally to the amp placement, will it face any trouble from luggage placed in the boot? I will be travelling often (& hence the rear ovals installation)

Thanks again guys, a lot of it is techno-geek mumbo jumbo to me but am learning.
Old 11th June 2009, 04:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys, for your replies.

@chiragh_bir
Even am planning to get the installation done on Saturday (if the components reach on time from Bombay that is). Will definitely catch you guys. As for JBL1004, that would shoot the budget up by too much. For the wiring brands, Kicker, Glider, Soundstream, JBL, which one would be the recommended kit for a budget of 2 - 2.5k. (JBL fakes, oh jeez, are the fakes well done, I mean hard to catch!?)

You can get JBL original from Carlife. Just tell him you want the original one which comes in plastic packing. Original packing looks like this http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...-wiringkit.jpg

The fake one's comes in orange pouch!

@ankit
I'll check out the Blau MKII amp. Is it priced in the same range as JBL GT5-S644 (6.8k with B&W). I actually auditioned an ICE setup in my friend's Swift. It was using the JBL A604 sub powering a 12" JBL CS sub and JBL 608c components. I loved the setup! Just the kind of sound am looking for. Not loud but soft, laid-back, sustainable bass with vocals and mids matching perfectly. I guess I belong to that category who'll tune the system sitting inside the car rather that standing 5 feet away tuning the 'dhamak' of the sub.

If you loved the A604 then you will surely like S664. From what i have heard its better than A604. Last i checked MKII was around 5.5K with Bill.

@abhibh
Thanks for the heads-up on the SUB series. I'll take a note. Is is advisable to buy the sub without B&W. Except for the HU, am actually planning to get everything else with B&W. As for the gains, I just checked, got some info from B&T to set the HPF to ~125Hz. Am actually not sure what that means but I guess I'll figure out once I get the amp.
Coming finally to the amp placement, will it face any trouble from luggage placed in the boot? I will be travelling often (& hence the rear ovals installation)

Thanks again guys, a lot of it is techno-geek mumbo jumbo to me but am learning.

My JBL sub is without bill and warranty. I bought from carlife 1 yr back still working fine. Try to get CS series i feel they are better than GT5.
I don't think you will have any problem with amp in boot. Might reduce the boot space my 1 inch lol.
My replies in BOLD.

How much are you getting 5050 for ? Try to get kenwood 6539. Last one left. Then you will have everything with Bill & Warranty.

Last edited by abhibh : 11th June 2009 at 04:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks