Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2009, 14:32   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
No sir, I am waiting for someone to buy one and humbly request for an audition. At that price, I will have to file for Chapter 11 if I have to buy it, but then there always better endowed members here who can.

But, even without hearing one personally, one can be / has to be skeptical of claims which defy conventional logic (experienced by thousands around the world), physics and good old common sense. I don't look down on any product, since in good hands and within limits, a 4.8K sub can be made to sound like one that costs 48K. As Navin puts it, we are always on the lookout for something that can give us goosebumps, but not because of price or show-off value.
Sir?? I am no where near to be called a "SIR". Still pretty young and learning. So Manan would be just fine

I completely agree on this, I have heard installs in which very high end drivers sound pretty ordinary and some installs in which very basic equipment sounds very very nice. Perfect example is live2drive's install. Basic Setup but sounds nice. Imaging is bang on.

I just asked this going by your previous post. Like I said the Morel Tempo looks pretty ordinary to me, build quality failed to impress. Waiting for a clean install on the same product.
Old 18th June 2009, 17:12   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Also learnt from DAN, that Peerless India is coming up Neo Magnet XBL^2 for a well known brand Not sure if I can disclose the name of the same.

Here's little info on DAN Wiggins in addition to what Navin mentioned.

"Dan Wiggins is ADI’s Chief Technical Officer and resident Mad Scientist... a leading manufacturer of scientific and research SONAR systems, and 7 years as President and CEO of Extremis Audio LLC where he launched many revolutionary products and technologies in the consumer audio markets."
No do not disclose that name. Not here. The informed people know anyway.

BTW is that bit on Dan from his linkedin profile or from wikipedia or your own creation?
Old 18th June 2009, 21:44   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
No do not disclose that name. Not here. The informed people know anyway.

BTW is that bit on Dan from his linkedin profile or from wikipedia or your own creation?
Definitely not gonna disclose it here Navin
That peice on info is from the ADI website with whom he is currently associated with. They have lot many exciting new products coming up including the midrange and tweeter with XBL technology.
Old 19th June 2009, 09:09   #49
BHPian

Quote:
If a speaker system or for that matter an audio system can get my feet tapping and me enjoying the music rather than looking for defects in the recording, mastering or pressing processes it is doing it's job. Some companies (pre 80s Klipsch, Magneplanar, B&K, etc.) have done this consistently. Of the
This is interesting to read. From whatever I have understood from readings at tbhp, most of the audiophile drivers are the most revealing as well. So this appeared like a paradox to me.

The last sentence in the paragraph looks incomplete.

Quote:
At the cost of Morel you can find many subs which are better in sound and have technological advantage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ugr8 View Post
There are far many options available at that price, which may sound even better.
If it is possible, would you share your thoughts on what other subs/brands are these?

Last edited by akbaree : 19th June 2009 at 09:14.
Old 19th June 2009, 10:56   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
This is interesting to read. From whatever I have understood from readings at tbhp, most of the audiophile drivers are the most revealing as well. So this appeared like a paradox to me.
I'll give you some examples from the past. Lets take 3 systems from the same era.
The Dyanudio D28af mated to a 17W75XL and 24W100 in a bass reflex 3 way
The ScanSpeak 9900 mated to a 18W8546 and 8545 in 2.5 way TL
The Model MDT 33 mated to 2 Focal 8N515s in 2 way bass reflex MTM

(Subwoofer used on later tests were 2 JBL 2245 in seperate 10 cu. ft. ported boxes and 4 Audio Concepts DV12 - with a few mods - in 2 seperate 4.5 cu. ft aperiodic boxes).

During my listening sessions I found the Dynuadio system to be very easy to listen to. Great WAF (the box resembled the Theil CS 3.5) for a 3 way etc.. but it seems to rob some of the recordings of their excitment. The Model-Focal system was punchy, rocked and rolled but the tweeter was lispy and on female vocals the lispyness became iriitating. The SS system felt best. It was not as exciting nor did it go as low as the Focal-Morel system (I even tried both of these systems with a subwoofer) but it sounded balanced. Yes it bit on a few recordings but not bad enough to be irritating but atleast it did not rob some of the recodings I used of their excitment.

My tastes and (home made) electronics might be different from what others use, these systems were all from the 1988-92 era. All 3 systems were designed and built by me and it is quite probable that my skills were too limited to extract the best of the Morel MDT 33 or Dynaudio drivers. Maybe an additional super-tweeter would have given the Dynuaudio system more air. But I think you get the drift.

Later I upgraded the Morel-Focal system to a 3 way (a la Watt-Puppy) using a Audax HM170Z0 Aerogel mid and gave it to my BIL. My other BIL is very happy with his Dynaudio system powered by a pair of Adcom GFA555s (bridged mono). I am in the process of giving my SS system away (Rudra saw it one day in a process of being dismantled) to my sister and am looking for the holy grail again (it is a disease I tell you this holy grail will never be found but nuts like me will never tire of searching).
Old 19th June 2009, 13:50   #51
BHPian

Thanks a lot Navin for sharing this.

Quote:
...and am looking for the holy grail again (it is a disease I tell you this holy grail will never be found but nuts like me will never tire of searching).
I am sure you won't disappoint other less priviledged ICE lovers like us and will share your experience here on TBHP.
Old 20th June 2009, 12:01   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
I am sure you won't disappoint other less priviledged ICE lovers like us and will share your experience here on TBHP.
Right now there are 2 paths I am investigating. Each system should do double duty as HT as well as 2 ch. audio.

path 1.
Using a 3" widerange driver like the Fostex FF85K, Alpair 5, Dynavox/Fountek FR88EX, Jordan Jx6R mated to a low frequency reinforcement system (does not mean 1 sub+plate amp) below 150hz or so.

path 2.
Using traditional 3 way tower speaker for the front (L&R) and 6" 2ways for the center and surrounds. Ofcourse there will be a few twists (like triamping, unconventional driver choices, etc..) beucase if not it wont be much fun will it?

my earlier experiments with using larger wide band drivers like the Supravox 165/215 Sig, Fostex 167, Hemp (did not get to try this), Visaton B200, etc.. got me believing that the best option here is a horn loaded Lowther with a sub and super tweeter but the WAF on this system was attrocious. Any sub that could keep pace with a Lowther and still go low enough (30Hz) was too big.

My tastes range from Ella to Acapella, Disco to Dvorak, Four tops to Four Seasons, Rolling Stones to Rachmaninoff and if you throw in home movies (for my son) then the demands are quite high.

Last edited by navin : 20th June 2009 at 12:08.
Old 20th June 2009, 12:29   #53
Senior - BHPian

Abhishek, please post a detailed review of your components
Old 20th June 2009, 14:38   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Abhishek, please post a detailed review of your components
Will post the details once I upgrade my head unit, but even with stock head unit they play every detail. Have the tweeter in A pillar and midbass in door. The bass is smooth and tight. The vocals really shine on them. All this with no damping in doors. It can play from all the way down to 50hz. Tweeters delivers very clean imaging and offaxis reponse. Even with stock headunit and with No TA one would feel the sound coming right almost of the center (of the dash). Will post more detail on this with the upgrade of headunit, and latter again with new set of amps and sub. But so far whoever has heard it, has been impressed with the smooth bass, clean vocal and subtle highs is produces, non fatigue.
Old 20th June 2009, 14:39   #55
Senior - BHPian

I would love to listen to it the next time i am in mumbai after all the equipment is there in place.
Old 20th June 2009, 17:54   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
I would love to listen to it the next time i am in mumbai after all the equipment is there in place.
Surely man, that goes without saying.
Old 20th June 2009, 18:25   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Am not sure if Wgti subs are available here. May be Sambhai could conform this.
Oh yes they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
i picked up a set of JBL POWER series components three way for the car,
Oh? Not many of those on this forum.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 20th June 2009 at 18:27.
Old 20th June 2009, 19:47   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Oh yes they are.

Oh? Not many of those on this forum.

Sam you know my car is almost a JBL demo car by now.

guru sam bhai, i think you should arrange me a good discount for my next component upgrade., just kiddin.

well these are the things i get to audition and i buy them for that reason and few others, but right now i am at a point where i cant think any more as to what to pick up for my next upgrades!!!!!

the confusion the pricing the waiting the dilemma and the EXCITEMENT the ICE bug has smitten me with is simply driven me mad, i am gonna stay off for a few days to get back to normal now, i dont know if i am making enough sense already.

its just too much pressure, the school just started and the schedules are driving me maaaadddddd already and now the Ice has just given the push to go totally hay wired!!!

see you guys in a while.
Old 6th August 2010, 19:03   #59
Senior - BHPian

Mightly Impressed with the Morel Hybrid Ovation midbasses.

Hence i am now getting the Morel Tempo Components for my Swift. Any Idea on what tweeters they are ? Is it MT-11 or MT-12 ?
Old 6th August 2010, 20:39   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Mightly Impressed with the Morel Hybrid Ovation midbasses.

Hence i am now getting the Morel Tempo Components for my Swift. Any Idea on what tweeters they are ? Is it MT-11 or MT-12 ?
Tempo comes with MT11 where as the Dotech Ovation comes with MT12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks