Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2009, 21:54   #16
Team-BHP Support

DA, THe ANHC has a HU and a USB socket. The HU however does not come with a CD player unless you pay another 13.5K for it. The USB socket sits behind the clock display and there is room there for an ipod which can be controlled by the HU.

The Dashboard fascia and Harness adapter will cost about 15K for the set. Add another 15K for a decent HU like the 785 (more if you are looking at a comparably speced Alpine) and you are looking at 30K+ for an HU upgrade.
Old 23rd July 2009, 21:59   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
@pratim, your description is a bit confusing!

There is a USB socket but no HU? Then where is the USB connected to? Is there already another readymade location near the gear lever (possibly covered by a blank plate) where the USB socket can be shifted to?

You can of course fit an aftermarket HU of your choice (with USB of course). You may need the following additionally:
* Harness adapter for ANHC
* Dashboard fascia adapter
Thanks DerAlte.

Pardon me for not speaking the standard language for this forum. What I meant was: there is a HU, but that does not have a CD drive. Just a USB cable inside the HU with female type connector. One can plug in ipod/USB storage devices and the like.
Yes, there's a location near the gear lever (a bit ahead towards to the dash, just below it) where the USB socket gets shifted, in case, the HU cavity is used up by the CD drive. Check out the link:
:: Honda City ::

In that link, click on the pulsating blue dots near the HU to see the HU up close and the one behind the gear lever to see the space for the USB socket, behind the coffee mug.

That said, can someone, refer me a good reliable accessories store for the change HU and facia for AaNHC?

Cheers
Old 24th July 2009, 13:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratim View Post
... Pardon me for not speaking the standard language for this forum. ... That said, can someone, refer me a good reliable accessories store for the change HU and facia for AaNHC? ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
... The Dashboard fascia and Harness adapter will cost about 15K for the set. ... and you are looking at 30K+ for an HU upgrade.
@pratim, there isn't a standard language, baba. It is just that the way you put it was sounding ambiguous!

As Navin explains it, it is economically non-trivial. Comparatively, for your problem, asking the showroom guys to put in what you need is a better option. The HU is unlikely to be bad. The speakers might not be that great, but changing the speakers to aftermarket ones does not seem to be a problem here.

CD drive + USB shifting = 13K sounds rather steep, but with a proprietary interface you are locked in unless you change the whole thing (and lose the stock intergrated look, and possibly lose the steering wheel control also).

See if you can get those guys to bring out 2 more things from the HU in the same price:
* Aux-in socket to attach cellphone or PMP (couldn't see it, might already be there somewhere)
* Preamp Out (RCA sockets) to feed an amp. Once you get used to the sound, you may in future feel like adding an amp and a sub

Which part of BLR are you located in? Where are you taking the car from?
Old 24th July 2009, 13:58   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratim View Post
That said, can someone, refer me a good reliable accessories store for the change HU and facia for AaNHC?
[quote=DerAlte;1399435
As Navin explains it, it is economically non-trivial. Comparatively, for your problem, asking the showroom guys to put in what you need is a better option. The HU is unlikely to be bad. The speakers might not be that great, but changing the speakers to aftermarket ones does not seem to be a problem here.

See if you can get those guys to bring out 2 more things from the HU in the same price:
* Aux-in socket to attach cellphone or PMP (couldn't see it, might already be there somewhere)
* Preamp Out (RCA sockets) to feed an amp. Once you get used to the sound, you may in future feel like adding an amp and a sub[/QUOTE]

Ok I did a bit of analysis on the ANHC. Ran the ANHC's HU through an old RTA I had and the the output of the HU is terriblly equallised presuambly to compensate for the speakers they have used.

a. there is a complete drop off for everything under 45Hz or so. The roll off is greater than 12/db octave
b. there is a wide dip or notch between 2 and 4k.
c. then there is a rise from 4k to 8K or so and a finall roll off after about 12K

If Pratim just upgraded the speakers to components the new speakers would revela all these anamolies. So Pratim has 3 options.

1. Change Fascia/Steering harness and add an after market HU
2. Integrate a processor that can analyse and reprocess the signal so that it is more suitable to the better speakers
3. live with the existing system.

Each option is a compromise of function, form, and resolution. Options 1 and 2 means considering a minimum 60K budget for the system.

Harness/Fascia:
I have not seen it done well yet.

3rd party processor:
Limited tuning options with the RF 360.2 and Alpine 650 (both cost about 30K). The Audison Bit one costs 50K or so and has no known service in India. The JBL MS-8 is still under development.

in each case one you have installed the replacement HU or procesor you have to budget for amps (think 15K at the minimum) and speakers (another 15K minimum for a sub, 2 components and 2 coax).

This is only the beginging. As dashboards get more complex and the functions of the ICE get integrated with the rest of the car's electronics you will see many more processors (prices will fall) and many amps will have integrated procesors as well. The 3rd paroty HU market will slowly be replaced by this processor market where all the used/owner has to do is supply the source (be it Ram or Hard disk based) via a mini USB plug.

Last edited by navin : 24th July 2009 at 14:37.
Old 24th July 2009, 15:26   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... As dashboards get more complex and the functions of the ICE get integrated with the rest of the car's electronics ...
I still haven't got over my envy for the stock ICE in my friend's 2004 Volvo S60 Diesel Kombi in Sweden. I think I had posted some pics in my Sweden travelogue. 6.5" components in doors, integrated ICE like you describe. The system sounded - playing FM, imagine - better than most aftermarket ICE. Deep, deep bass, neutral highs, and singers sitting on the bonnet. There might have been a sub, possibly an 8" *inside the dash* - there was a kind of large perforated grill in the dash where most people keep the idol in India. I was so inspired I almost walked into DLS in Göteborg, but got really frustrated my meetings left me no time for that.

All the integrated systems coming to India are the lowest-cost least-feature-set ones, especially the speakers (and I am not even talking of Tata and Mahindra). Bare bones functionality + nifty advertising (like Honda's online stuff) is what is considered appropriate for India. Sigh!!!
Old 24th July 2009, 22:53   #21
BHPian

Wow, superb Navin! Thanks a lot for so detailed technical stuff.

Out of the option below, I guess, I had to go for 3 ,plus the addition of optional CD drive with extra USB port near the gear lever. It's cheaper, I don't have to tinke rwith the original electronics of the setup.

Quote:

1. Change Fascia/Steering harness and add an after market HU
2. Integrate a processor that can analyse and reprocess the signal so that it is more suitable to the better speakers
3. live with the existing system.
DerAlte, I will definitely look for the extra AUX in and Preamp Out (RCA sockets) to feed an amp.

Thank you both for your advice.

Makesh,
Sorry to hitch-hike your thread for a while to get some info. I guess, I know what I have to do. Thank yo uso much for starting this thread.

Cheers
Old 26th July 2009, 12:18   #22
BHPian

No Prob's Pratim,

Hope you are clear as I am not..Still thinking of what goes in.
Old 26th July 2009, 21:54   #23
Team-BHP Support

The way I look at the future of car audio with all these new fangled dashboards and integrated electroinics being included...

1. All these 3rd party procesors will get cheaper (much cheaper) dont be surprised if you see processors in the $99 range in a few years.

2. Many amplifiers will come with the processing included and I see a cause for 5 channel amps where 1 channel is a Class D sub amp and the other 4 channels are either Class AB or Class D. 300W x 1 + 50W x 4 looks to be a good level that should satisfy 95% of the market.

3. Some car audio manufacturers will take more interest in car audio atleast for their up market models. While this is a trend that has been available at the extreme high end (think Lexus, BMW, etc..) for many years now and was explored earlier my many American manufacturers (Chrysler-JBL, GM-Delco-Bose, Ford-Infinity, etc..) as early as the early 80s I see a more widespread use of this philiosphy in the next few years. Honda India for example upgraded their regular speakers with JBL speakers for the NHC last year (2008). Once you see models like the i-10, Swift, etc.. being offered with higher end audio systems (with better damped doors, amps and subs) you know that this is a trend that has finally been accepted by the auto fraternity. Just please do not expect to see tube amps in the car.
Old 26th July 2009, 22:55   #24
BHPian

Very interesting views there Navin both on the processor front and the 5 channel amp front. I seem to be an example of both. What interests me more is what would then happen to the after market mid level segment if manufacturers begin to see the opportunity in providing reasonable quality ICE? The after market ICE market would then shrink.
Old 26th July 2009, 23:06   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
What interests me more is what would then happen to the after market mid level segment if manufacturers begin to see the opportunity in providing reasonable quality ICE? The after market ICE market would then shrink.
I dont think so. There will always be people who want to upgrade. The product mix might shift away from HU towards processors and multi-channel/Class D amps etc.. though. What will make me happy is that atleast those who do not have the time or inclination towards upgrading their OEM stereo will have decent sound. Today most OEM stereo incl the highly touted B&O system sould with the Audi S8 have left me wanting. They (Audi-B&O) charge $8000 (about) for this? I have not heard their (B&Os) Aston Martin but I am willing to listen if only some kind soul will gift/loan me one!

The % of people who upgrade their factory radio has remained about the same since the 70s (data is based on US stats). My first car was 1976 Plymouth Scamp 6-inline. It had a rather simple radio with a single center speaker on the dash. Even in those days we upgraded car stereos to provide more more features, functionality, perfromance and power, While my defintion of performance and power has changed over the past 30+ years my desire to do better than the OEM system has not and this is exactly what the psyche 3rd party manufacturers will tap into.

Last edited by navin : 26th July 2009 at 23:08.
Old 27th July 2009, 15:58   #26
BHPian

That makes a lot of sense as usual
Old 10th August 2009, 16:19   #27
BHPian

Hey guys,

Finally got myself an ANHC! Was planning for the Linea (D) earlier but realised I didn't quite need a Diesel.

Anyway, reference the stock system - I find it just ok and would love to upgrade the speakers at least. Given that I would also want to retain the look and feel, is there anyway? I believe the gurus have already passed the verdict that its going to be a huge cost, but just wanted to recheck a couple of things.

1. Does the rear of the stock system have some sort of Preamp output or something?
2. The stock system has EQ settings - and of these is 'Natural'; is there any chance in hell that this 'Natural' setting is the unmodified setting of the music? In that case I'd be able to put in better speakers without the built-in EQ messing with the sound quality?

Am pretty clueless about these things so please forgive if I've used terms without understanding

~Pranav
Old 5th January 2010, 19:18   #28
BHPian

How can I fix a subwoofer in ANHC?

One guy said he will cut open the back steel, another guy said just fix in the trunk, there is no need for any opening. Can one of you post the pics of how you have done it.

Mine is an SMT model and as I heard new VMT has two additional tweeters, Is it possible to fix these additional tweeters without modifying anything to SMT?
Old 5th January 2010, 23:59   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prnvaa View Post
1. Does the rear of the stock system have some sort of Preamp output or something?
2. The stock system has EQ settings - and of these is 'Natural'; is there any chance in hell that this 'Natural' setting is the unmodified setting of the music? In that case I'd be able to put in better speakers without the built-in EQ messing with the sound quality?
No the stock HU does NOT have rear out.

The Natural setting is not a setting devoid of EQ. The Natual setting is a setting that has been EQed to sound Natural (or what Honda expects Natual sound to sound like) using the Stock Speakers in the Stock locations.

For my initial and preliminary analysis of my wife's Jan 2009 (V-AT) ANHC I suspect that if you replace the Stock speakers with better speakers the sound will be too bright.

That said I saw a ANHC a few days back that had OEM tweeter pods (the Jan version my wife got was not equipped with these tweeter pods. I suspect Honda has added this later as an after thought. Now if the Natual settings have these newer speakers (with tweeter pods) as their stock setting then replacement with better speakers does not look too bad an option. One could then even add a amp (that has speaker level inputs) and damp the doors and trunk to improve the sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
How can I fix a subwoofer in ANHC?
1. you need a amp that has speaker level inputs or a line level to speaker level converter.
2. you only need add a subwoofer in a sealed box in your trunk there is no need to cut steel.
3. I suspect you might be able to buy the tweeter pods as add ons and add your own tweeters.
Old 8th January 2010, 11:56   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

That said I saw a ANHC a few days back that had OEM tweeter pods (the Jan version my wife got was not equipped with these tweeter pods. I suspect Honda has added this later as an after thought. Now if the Natual settings have these newer speakers (with tweeter pods) as their stock setting then replacement with better speakers does not look too bad an option. One could then even add a amp (that has speaker level inputs) and damp the doors and trunk to improve the sound.
I got my ANHC VAT recently, and it has OEM tweeter Pods, so there wont be any problem if i replace stock speaker with better once like JBL GTO 608C and JBL GTO 638 ?

I am fully confused whether to change speakers or not, after reading the thread, about getting Bright Sound if we just replace the speakers. Between what do you mean by Bright Sound?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks