Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2009, 12:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Good plan, but get the components first. Will give you better low end and clarity than now. Stage 2 get the sub.

Could be done with other amps, but that would need much more work. The THApnp is a single point solution. And no, other brands don't make pnp for Blau OE HUs.
Old 13th November 2009, 16:32   #17
BHPian

Super DerAlte!

I spoke to Mondavi people here they are coating around 4 channel pnp for round 18K. later they told they will reduce 15%. but I read in a thread there http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...ml#post1581082
that some one has got it for 10K

for Components I like ESK 165 for front. I am not sure about rear. But i was thinking to add the same for the rear. some say its no use and go for coax. I drive the car. is my choice correct or is there any other better options in that range?

please advice.
Old 14th November 2009, 13:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

Rear speakers give a feeling of being surrounded by music. A few people prefer front image only. Of course, even with self-driven-only cars there are some times when there are rear passengers, and IMHO it is for those times rear speakers are needed.
Old 16th November 2009, 05:48   #19
BHPian

Hey Guys. Since this thread is already on, thought i will discuss about it here. I have booked the Punto Emotion. I find the audio on the car a bit bland for my taste. So if i was to upgrade it ,without changing the headunit then i will need to get Blaupunkt PnP AMP.
So my question here is how good is a Blaupunkt THA 555PnP Amp. Its a 5 Channel AMP.

Specs

Number of channels : 5 Channel
Max. Power (Watt): 840
Max. Power 5 Channel @4 Ohm (Watt): 4x110+1x400
Max. Power 4 Channel @4 Ohm (Watt): 2x110+1x250+1x400
Max. Power 3 Channel @4 Ohm (Watt): 2x250+1x400
Max. Power 5 Channel @2 Ohm (Watt): 4x130+1x500
RMS Power 5 Channel @4 Ohm (Watt): 4x55+1x200
RMS Power 4 Channel @4 Ohm (Watt): 2x55+1x125+1x200
RMS Power 3 Channel @4 Ohm (Watt): 2x125+1x200
RMS Power 5 Channel @2 Ohm (Watt): 4x65+1x250

Is this AMP enough to power 2 sets of components and 1 sub. Or should i look at something else. How much does the clarity of sound improve when compared to a PIO or Alpine headunit replacing the stockunit without this AMP. How much does this AMP cost?

Is it worth getting this AMP fixed or going and getting a Proper Headunit and doing a good install. Please help me out here.
Thanks in Advance

Last edited by shadyrulez : 16th November 2009 at 05:49.
Old 16th November 2009, 10:35   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyrulez View Post

I have booked the Punto Emotion. I find the audio on the car a bit bland for my taste. So if i was to upgrade it ,without changing the headunit then i will need to get Blaupunkt PnP AMP.

Number of channels : 5 Channel
RMS Power 5 Channel @4 Ohm (Watt): 4x55+1x200
RMS Power 5 Channel @2 Ohm (Watt): 4x65+1x250

Is this AMP enough to power 2 sets of components and 1 sub. Or should i look at something else. How much does the clarity of sound improve when compared to a PIO or Alpine headunit replacing the stockunit without this AMP. How much does this AMP cost?

Is it worth getting this AMP fixed or going and getting a Proper Headunit and doing a good install. Please help me out here.
Thanks in Advance
You have talked about changing the amp and HU but not the speakers. Speakers are often the weakest link is OEM systems. I would look at teh ystems as a whole and upgrade the weakest links first.

The Blau amp can drive a pair of components and a small (10-12") efficient sub. Blau also makes decent HUs like the Hamburg (57/68) , Bremen (78), etc..these HUs are bluetooth enabled.
Old 16th November 2009, 12:51   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Rear speakers give a feeling of being surrounded by music. A few people prefer front image only. Of course, even with self-driven-only cars there are some times when there are rear passengers, and IMHO it is for those times rear speakers are needed.
Thank you Deratle and navin!!

I will go with Comp in 4 doors.so Stage 1 Plan is ready!!

blaupunkt pnp amp 4 channel / 5 Chennai (if i get a good deal) and 4 comps ESK 165.

Any other things missing?

my future plan is (stage 2) add a Sub.. I think Im getting serious.. (stage 3) a sound processor
Old 16th November 2009, 13:16   #22
BHPian

My 2 paise: The stock Blaupunkt HU is nothing to write home about. Even if you add an amp, and comp speakers, you'll notice that the HU tends to flatten the sound as the volume is cranked up. So, the quality of sound begins to diminish as the volume is cranked up(Probably the DSP of the HU trying to protect the stock speakers). Not a very nice thing, after one has blown a bundle on the setup.

I experienced this on my Linea Emotion, and finally decided to chuck out the stock HU and replace with a Kenny X993. Very happy now.

IMHO, since you have the Punto Emotion and no Blue and ME, it would be better to replace the HU. This will free you from the clutches of Blaupunkt(remember, you're thinking of the PnP amp, also from Blau). Spend the money on a good HU, wiring, and a 4 channel amp,compos up front, stock speakers at the back(powered from the HU) and a sub. Later you could go in a 4 a mono amp, and rear compo speakers.
Old 16th November 2009, 14:22   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_rider View Post
My 2 paise: The stock Blaupunkt HU is nothing to write home about. Even if you add an amp, and comp speakers, you'll notice that the HU tends to flatten the sound as the volume is cranked up. So, the quality of sound begins to diminish as the volume is cranked up(Probably the DSP of the HU trying to protect the stock speakers). Not a very nice thing, after one has blown a bundle on the setup.

I experienced this on my Linea Emotion, and finally decided to chuck out the stock HU and replace with a Kenny X993. Very happy now.

IMHO, since you have the Punto Emotion and no Blue and ME, it would be better to replace the HU. This will free you from the clutches of Blaupunkt(remember, you're thinking of the PnP amp, also from Blau). Spend the money on a good HU, wiring, and a 4 channel amp,compos up front, stock speakers at the back(powered from the HU) and a sub. Later you could go in a 4 a mono amp, and rear compo speakers.
Yep, Agree to that a 100%
Old 16th November 2009, 15:33   #24
BHPian

Thanks for your inputs guys. Guess i will wait for a month or two and then get the Audio done. I guess i should have good enough Vitamin M then.

In that case i want to do a two stage install. Can somebody guide me into getting a good ICE. I am looking at a initial budget of 25000. I am looking for a SQ setup.
Can somebody guide me so that i can get a good setup. What HU and what speakers along with AMP should i get. Can i get even a SUB for this budget.

Please help me guys.
Old 16th November 2009, 15:54   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

The only reason why i want to retain the not so nice headunit for Bluetooth and steering controls. Plus this is my second car and is used lesser than my other car so i dont want to spend much on this car's ICE.
Old 17th November 2009, 02:12   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_rider View Post
... the quality of sound begins to diminish as the volume is cranked up(Probably the DSP of the HU trying to protect the stock speakers). Not a very nice thing, after one has blown a bundle on the setup. ...
1. The DSP doesn't try to 'protect a speaker' - it only implements a certain frequency response profile
2. If a profile is set, it is used at all volume levels. Profiles are independent of volume, especially high volume levels ('loudness', introduced at low volume to boost bass in some HUs, is probably the only exception)
3. The higher the volume is 'cranked up', human ears gradually lose the ability to make out proportion of frequencies that one would have heard at a moderate volume, unless one proportionately increases the distance of the ears to the speakers
Old 17th November 2009, 12:36   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
1. The DSP doesn't try to 'protect a speaker' - it only implements a certain frequency response profile
2. If a profile is set, it is used at all volume levels. Profiles are independent of volume, especially high volume levels ('loudness', introduced at low volume to boost bass in some HUs, is probably the only exception)
3. The higher the volume is 'cranked up', human ears gradually lose the ability to make out proportion of frequencies that one would have heard at a moderate volume, unless one proportionately increases the distance of the ears to the speakers
Hmm, so that probability is out the window. But the fact of the matter is, that the sound quality diminishes as the volume is cranked up in the stock Blau HU. There's no distinguishing between the mids, lows, highs; the sound becomes very muddy and flat. Maybe(speculating again), it's the stock HU reaching its limit, although it's not like it was turned up all the way for it to start wailing.

Changed to an aftermarket HU, and arrested the issue(the sound is louder, clearer, and balanced) and no issues like before. Now, it sounds like money spent worthwhile!
Old 18th November 2009, 05:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

Strange! I have a Blau (my 3rd or 4th, don't remember) - never faced the issue of "no distinguishing between the mids, lows, highs; the sound becomes very muddy and flat" when I crank up the volume.
Old 18th November 2009, 12:36   #29
BHPian

Yeah, Strange! I was in no mood to change to an aftermarket HU as the look of the dash would undergo a drastic change. But the improvement in sound quality after the transplant leaves me with no regrets.
Old 19th November 2009, 17:07   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The only reason why i want to retain the not so nice headunit for Bluetooth and steering controls. Plus this is my second car and is used lesser than my other car so i dont want to spend much on this car's ICE.
but i heard todays pioneer headunits have a slot for connecting the steering mounted controls onto them.am not sure,whether it will match the ones in the punto.just give it a try shady.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks