Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2009, 07:42   #1
BHPian

Ice for my i10,2 Front+1Sub Setup,Budget Rs.65k+

Hello Everybody!
I've recently booked a blushing red i10 AT Sportz and am expecting delivery within a weeks time.
After going through several threads I find a 2 Front Component+1 Sub in the back configuration ideal for me.
My budget mentioned is slightly lower than my actual budget ...Slightly!
So here goes,

1. Front Components+Amplifier [Rs.27k]
Find them to be the most important part of my setup hence taking up a major chunk of my budget.
Expecting a decent Morel,Rainbow,Dynaudio or their likes along with a decent 2 channel amp :blushes:

2.(Subwoofer+Enclosure)+Amplifier [Rs.17k]
Maybe its because I've haven't been here long but most of the good sub recommendations I've noticed are in the 500W+ rms range.
Stupid question,but still,wouldn't the bass tend to overpower the music?
I'm not particularly interested in earth shaking bass waking up the neighborhood.
Looking for tight,punchy bass in a sub that goes pretty low(not just claims) to around 20Hz,powerful enough to make me, in the front seat,feel it.
Am I looking at a 15 incher?

3.Headunit[Rs.10k]
Yeah I guess the 9887/9886 are pretty much out of my budget.I don't want to spend a lot on the HeadUnit now.
Things I'm looking for:
a. 3 PreOuts
b. Usb Support[Ipod Support not important]
c. Proper crossovering and delay management of my subs to be inline with my speakers (Or is this the job of the amps?)

4.Damping/Noise Kill + Wiring + Installation [Rs.10k]
Relatively the least complicated IMO.I'd need damping for the front doors and the boot I guess.
How much wiring would I need given I'm not using rear speakers and what would you recommend?

Looking forward to your recommendations guys.
Would just like to mention again though that my budget mentioned is slightly lower than my actual budget but only slightly!
Old 18th September 2009, 10:25   #2
BANNED

65K is good budget for setting up a components with amp, sub with amp along with good player.
Buy 9887 itself dont compromise on that try to get it from US check the new facility provided by indian ebay for shipping stuff from US, get a good 4 channel amp may be infinity along with good components as per your taste many brands are around.
Go for 12" ID sub and suitable mono for that, dont aim 15" not worth for car like i10.Wait till experts puts their comments.
Old 18th September 2009, 12:29   #3
BHPian

Have put my comments in bold:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun1 View Post

Find them to be the most important part of my setup hence taking up a major chunk of my budget.
Expecting a decent Morel,Rainbow,Dynaudio or their likes along with a decent 2 channel amp :blushes:

Recommend you look at buying a 4-channel amplifier for 15-20K and adding a mono later. At that time you can use all channels of the 4-channel amp to power your front stage (active, bi-amp or simply bridged). Now just use 2 channels for the front stage and bridge 2 to the sub

IMHO this will allow you to invest in better quality of amplification rather than trying for a 2 channel + mono in your budget. You will also save on distribution block and possibly extra power cable costs.
Front-stage options you could choose from(in 15K range): Rainbow SLX, SLG, SAX, Image Dynamics CTX. There are options from Illusion Audio, GZ as well but I'm not familiar with their products.

4 channel amp: I'm not too familiar with stuff in this price range - you could look at Kenwood, Blaupunkt, Bull Audio, GZ, JBL. If you can source from abroad, you maybe able to get a good deal on higher-end stuff. Same holds true for speakers

Maybe its because I've haven't been here long but most of the good sub recommendations I've noticed are in the 500W+ rms range.
I'm not particularly interested in earth shaking bass waking up the neighborhood.
Looking for tight,punchy bass in a sub that goes pretty low(not just claims) to around 20Hz,powerful enough to make me, in the front seat,feel it.

In a hatch, and not wanting to wake up neighbours, a 12'' or even a 10" might suffice look at Image Dynamics (CTX, iD), Rainbow (Cyclone, Hammer), Illusion Audio, GZ

3.Headunit[Rs.10k]
Yeah I guess the 9887/9886 are pretty much out of my budget.I don't want to spend a lot on the HeadUnit now.
Things I'm looking for:
a. 3 PreOuts
c. Proper crossovering and delay management of my subs to be inline with my speakers (Or is this the job of the amps?)

Clarion 785 seems to be a hot fav of the forum and has enough options at a pretty good price

Relatively the least complicated IMO.I'd need damping for the front doors and the boot I guess.
How much wiring would I need given I'm not using rear speakers and what would you recommend?

Looking forward to your recommendations guys.
Would just like to mention again though that my budget mentioned is slightly lower than my actual budget but only slightly!

If you save on damping and amplification, try to buy front components that are in the 20-25K range, I think that will yield the most improvement in SQ
Old 18th September 2009, 16:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you looking for Morel, a good range start from 28K with DOtech Ovation 6 components, Dynaudio esotar could fetch you around 35-40k if bought online. Rainbow has a good range starting from 13K.

What type of music you listen to mainly, most of the time ? That would help in determining what would be good choice. Incase of speakers there are many brands that are available.

Quote:
To get a tight, punchy sound would depend lot of on the SUB's characteristic and it's enclosure size. To get a punchy bass lot has to be emphasized between 40hz to 80hz. Going down to 20 doesn't always mean it would sound tight and punchy. Look for 10" or 12". Brands that you can choose from Image Dynamics, Ground Zero, Boston Acoustics, JBL power series. Again the type of music you listen would help here.
For amplifiers you could pick from ALpine, Harmon Kardon, Infinity, JBl, or you can again call for it.

Quote:
3.Headunit[Rs.10k]
Things I'm looking for:
a. 3 PreOuts
Within 10K budget would be difficult to find something that comes with all the features that you mentioned. If you have someone coming down from US this may workout, if not either you can import one adding 30% duty and freight charges. Clarion DXZ785USB has all that you mentioned and will cost around 12-13K with duty and shipping charges. You can read on this as we have thread here comparing with other HUs.

Quote:
10K is a good budget, which would inclue all that you mentioned. Don't compromise of damping the doors and boot as with good damping you can expect the true potential of the comps to shine.

If you could up you budget I would say get good comps upto 30K with another 25K or so for the amp. 10-13K for headunit and than whatever required for the installation.
I am running the Clarion 785 with Morel H.Ovation comps and Alpine and they play extremely clean. A lot depends on what time of music you listen to. Also, where in B'bay are you ?

Last edited by Invinsible : 18th September 2009 at 16:06.
Old 19th September 2009, 11:09   #5
BHPian

AjayBiz,Flying_Bong,Invisible
Thankyou all for replying!

Yes I am tilting towards the ideo of getting a 4/5 channel amp to power my setup.
One that comes to my mind now is the Infinity Kappa Five rated as:
150 watts RMS x 2 + 200 watts RMS x 1 bridged at 4 ohms
I guess it'll be somewhere between Rs.15-20k.Please do tell me though if I could get a better amp at this price.

Flying_Bong,Invisible
The Clarion 785 is exactly what I'm looking for right now!I'll try and source it from the U.S.
I always discounted it as an option because I kept checking the main site which quoted it at $399!

Invisible
28k for the Dotechs! Was really looking forward to getting the Dotech Ovations :-/
Given that the Tempos are prices around 10k I thought the Dotechs would probably be around 20k.
Likewise for the Hertz MLK 165 which should be atleast 25k,oh well.

I'm looking at two options guys:
Hertz HSK 165
Rainbow SLX265 Deluxe

Tilting a bit towards the Rainbows.Could somebody please tell me who to contact to get either the Rainbows or Hertz?

The Subs that seem to fit my budget are the Rainbow Hammer 12" and the Boston Acoustics G312.
The Rainbows are 2 x 2 Ohm,what is that supposed to mean? Is it as good as 4ohm?
Could somebody please recommend a GZ sub in this price range? The options provided are a bit overwhelming.

As far as my music choices go I'd say I'm still developing my taste :-) I'm a huge movie buff and most of the music I like comes from movie soundtracks.Usually its just a couple of songs I like from the entire track,but there are some like Pulp Fiction,Death Proof,Fear and Loathing,Snatch...where I likes most of them.Apart from that I love Green Day! I tend to avoid the metal scene though and hardcore rock and Hip Hop.

Invisible,
I stay in Sion in Bombay.
Are you running a Front Speaker only setup without any subs?How's that working out for you?
Old 19th September 2009, 13:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

For the kinda music you listen I would look for Morel, Hertz. Morel are more warmer, better open midrange and tweeters are laid back, not harsh and smooth. The music you listen the tweeter will play an imp role, with better vocals. Same goes for hertz.
Look out for a sub that is fast, and has better low end extension. GZ subs are good, bit more attacking and efficient. ID subs can do a great sub with better low end extension. Again the enclosure volume would matter a lot here.

As for the amps look for amp that has more output, having headroom is always good. Both Morels and hertz are power hungry, especially the Morel midbass. They can handle easily close to 150RMS crossed at 80hz.
You can look out for alpine Vpower series amp, and their monos or Get a 2 channel and mono. The components and its amp would play more imp role. So make sure you match the best.
I have Morels comps at front and coax at rear with a sub setup. Let me know if you wanna have a listen.
Old 19th September 2009, 18:38   #7
BHPian

Thanks for the offer Invisible,much appreciated :-)

Could the gurus please tell me if the JBL GTO1004 amp would work for my setup as in 2x(...)Watt + 1x(...)Watt at 4ohms.I've been offered one by a member and am thinking of considering it.
Old 25th September 2009, 09:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest you look for an Alpine MRP-F600 AMP. Plenty of power and sounds good. JBL model you mentioned tends to deliver a bit sharper highs than usual, not much but little bit, but than again it does make a difference.

So, what have you decided finally?
Old 25th September 2009, 09:57   #9
BHPian

I considered the JBLs because I was getting a good offer but that isn't coming through.
I had a talk with a dealer and I've settled for Rainbow SLX265Deluxe and Rainbow Hammer 12"+Enclosure total coming to around 30k.
I don't want to redo damping later on so I'm thinking of going all the way and have allocated min 10k for it.
Its the wiring and the amps I'm confused about for now.

Hey Invisible,what wiring are you using for your Dotechs?
Also if I were to go for wiring for 4ch amp for my setup would I be able to use the same wiring for a 2ch amp + 1 mono?
Wiring is another thing I want to invest in now because it'd probably get messy later if I want to change it.
Old 25th September 2009, 10:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

BRILLIANT! From what I have read, the Rainbow SLX265 Deluxe set (with the CAL25 tweeter) is a beauty!
Also, the Rainbow hammer is a super sub.
Damping is a GREAT idea. 10 k for it is more than enough. It will fetch you about 60 sq ft (or more).
Contact RAMIE2400 or Bass&Trouble on this forum to purchase/install damping. Their offering is the most VFM. (noisekill, I have about 70 sq ft of that in my car)

The wiring for the speakers from the amp to the crossover, and from the crossover to the speakers must be of good quality. But not that you need to break the bank for that. I have Illusion Audio wiring all over, and I couldn't be happier. It's VFM, and of a superior quality.

Your RCA's can be Monster/Scosche/Audison, depending on what you get. Please do not accept Earthquake/Sansui/Fake Monster etc from your installer. RCA's are sensitive cables and can easily reflect the engine noise in the speakers if not of a good quality.
Old 25th September 2009, 13:27   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Your RCA's can be Monster/Scosche/Audison, depending on what you get. Please do not accept Earthquake/Sansui/Fake Monster etc from your installer. RCA's are sensitive cables and can easily reflect the engine noise in the speakers if not of a good quality.
Arun, you can also consider JBL's amp+sub wiring kit for less than 3k, comes with a single RCA, 8gauge power cable, sub speaker wire and a fuse+holder. I have it in my car and am very happy with it! Also see if your installer can get you additional pairs of JBL RCAs- these are manufactured by a renowned wire manufacturer (Sam hinted on one of these pages). My installer helped me get one more cable and now I'm running both RCAs from JBL (front comps + sub).
Old 25th September 2009, 14:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

get RCA from Somer with neutrik plugs can be sourced from B&T they are one of the best RCA i have seen.

Power cables depends on what amp you going to opt .. but for JBL 1004 even 4 gauge is enough fuse you can pick from Scosche !!

JBL amp kits are good but they only come with 1 channel RCA so picking 2nd RCA is a problem !!

Last edited by chiragh_bir : 25th September 2009 at 14:16.
Old 24th October 2009, 00:19   #13
BHPian

Arun, you haven't updated your thread in a while now. anyways i would like to ask you and the gurus here....is it possible to change the factory fitted dashboard-integrated HU of the ASTA/Sportz variant of the i10 to an aftermarket one?

Is the dash-kit which comes stock in the i10 era/magna available? can it be fitted onto the i10 Sportz dash? What about the clock and the hazard switch in this case?

Arun, what is your take on that?
Old 24th October 2009, 00:47   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85 View Post
Arun, you haven't updated your thread in a while now. anyways i would like to ask you and the gurus here....is it possible to change the factory fitted dashboard-integrated HU of the ASTA/Sportz variant of the i10 to an aftermarket one?

Is the dash-kit which comes stock in the i10 era/magna available? can it be fitted onto the i10 Sportz dash? What about the clock and the hazard switch in this case?

Arun, what is your take on that?
I'm getting some stuff from the US.Benn waiting pretty long because of Diwali and all causing shipping delays.In the mean time I upgrade my tires and added sunfilm and am going to get me some leather :-)
I don't think the hazard switch would be much of a problem.If it absolutely has to be removed because of your HU,I don't think it would come to that though even with a 2 DIN one,there should be other ways of implementing it,it's just a switch after all.
Anyways,here's a pic from Magmas thread.I'm going for a one Din Clarion 785 USB so I don't think there will be a problem.
Hope that helps.
Old 24th October 2009, 01:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

For Rainbow, please contact Gunbir and for Ground Zero and Illusion contact Bas&Trouble.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks