Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2009, 15:19   #1
BHPian

Ritz-Zxi: Better music possible with stock HU?

Its time for another small car and this time it is a Ritz-Zxi. It comes with a factory fitted music system and looks very well integrated with the center console.
See:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1296322

If it sounded half as good as it looks, I wouldn't need to trouble my fingers so much. It would be sad if I have to disturb the visual harmony by ripping out the integrated HU and putting in an aftermarket one. So, here are my questions:

Will changing the speakers alone have a perceivable effect? In other words, will just adding comps running out of HU be worth the effort and money?

How do I find out if the stock HU has pre-out for amp connection (haven't got the car delivered yet)? Has anyone in the forum tried this out?

For the sake of completeness, furnishing the information in *rocksterraghu* format as well:
1. Your Car: Ritz Zxi.
2. Your current setup (If any): Stock HU with stock speakers.
3. Your Budget: 25 -30 k
4. Do you drive most of the time or is it chauffer driven? Self Driven
5. Your Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.):
- Indian Folk (Rabbi Shergil for example). Occasionally hear remixes as well. Some stuff from the yesteryears (Roxette et. al).
- And, yeah, I'm not into hip-hop at all. In other words, I can sacrifice low-bass if the mid-bass is good.
- For me, the mid-range has to be meaty, I know this is vague but how do I explain this?
6. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? Would want to avoid any space being eaten up.

Thanks,
Su-47

P.S: The Zxi seems to be in high demand, so, I have a lot of time to do the research while waiting for it to get delivered.

P.P.S: If the car didn't come with integrated HU I would have gone for something like the following:
HU: Pio xxxx (with BT and USB, cant recollect the model number, but it has all the right things )
Front: Comps (Undecided on the brand)
Back: Coaxes (just for the fills, most probably JBL GT5)
Amp: JBL GT5-S644. Front two channels on the amp and two channels used for the sub.
Sub: Dont know yet.
Su-47 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2009, 19:11   #2
BHPian

Upgrading the speakers will definitely make a difference to the SQ. But before you do that, you will have to find out the power rating of the stock HU.

The next best thing will be to upgrade the speakers AND add an amp (can be placed under the seat, if you do not want to sacrifice any boot space). But for starters, upgrading the speakers will definitely help you get the best out your integrated HU.
Old 22nd September 2009, 22:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

Get a 4 channel amplifier with Line Level inputs.
THEN, just upgrade your fronts and rears to better speakers (components) and amplify them with 2 channels each, from the amplifier.
Damp the doors.
Lo and behold, you will be surprised as to how awesome it sounds!
Old 22nd September 2009, 22:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Most manufacturers give good HU but crappy speakers.

The OHC used to come with 50W Alpine speakers. Changed them to 150W Pioneers and the diff was amazing. Low freq had more depth and the music sounded balanced.

Shan2nu
Old 22nd September 2009, 23:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Most manufacturers give good HU but crappy speakers.

The OHC used to come with 50W Alpine speakers. Changed them to 150W Pioneers and the diff was amazing. Low freq had more depth and the music sounded balanced.

Shan2nu
Stock HU are calibrated and EQ'd to make those crappy speakers sound better. When used with after market speakers there may be several peaks at various freq. point and sound may not be as per the liking.

SU-47@ for having a good midbass from the after market speakers you may also need to add a processor, if you expect from stock HU, you may be get the midbass but the quality will not be that great.

You will better of with a new HU by adding a dashkit.
Old 23rd September 2009, 17:21   #6
BHPian

Thanks for the inputs guys.

@Shat2nu: MUL uses Nippon which I guess is no match for Alpine. Anyway, I will try out the HU with better speakers.

@frankmehta: Can you give some examples of the amps that can take line-level inputs? Are these staggeringly more expensive than the normal ones?

@newcoolgadgets: Any suggestions on how to get the power rating, other than opening the box and looking for the amplifier IC's name?

@Invinsible: Eeks, equalization processor!!! I am not *that* much into ICE.

I have access to AP-equipment (Audio Precision), let me rip out the HU and play some test content to see what games it is playing with the equalization. But, for that I need the car to be delivered. Lets see how this goes.

I started hoping for a simple solution, lets see how complicated this will become

Last edited by Su-47 : 23rd September 2009 at 17:24.
Old 23rd September 2009, 22:57   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
@Invinsible: Eeks, equalization processor!!! I am not *that* much into ICE.
I think Invisible means using the EQ built into the HU itself.
Old 23rd September 2009, 23:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

What i meant was that while building the Headunit the sound is equalised according to the stock speaker in order to make the stock speaker sound best. Am not talking about equaliser feature as in graphic or parametric equaliser which the stock HU dont come with.
Old 24th September 2009, 01:47   #9
BHPian

Not into this ICE stuff too much but would think that sound proccesor would be the way to go and as a bonus you retain your steering controls and ofcourse speaker upgredes would be required as well. Else there is a thread posted on the DIY section with an SX4 HU. Check that out.
Old 24th September 2009, 11:02   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
What i meant was that while building the Headunit the sound is equalised according to the stock speaker in order to make the stock speaker sound best. Am not talking about equaliser feature as in graphic or parametric equaliser which the stock HU dont come with.
to undo this he'd need a more sophisticated processor like the RF 360.2, Alpine PXE650, Audison bit 1, etc...
Old 24th September 2009, 16:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
to undo this he'd need a more sophisticated processor like the RF 360.2, Alpine PXE650, Audison bit 1, etc...
Exactly! which would cost anywhere 400$+ in which he would be better of buying a new headunit and steering cotrols can be retained using an interface, if not available I know someone who could make one.
Old 24th September 2009, 17:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest NOT going for a processor. AS i said earlier, JUST upgrade the speakers, damp the doors and THEN see the difference. You might not want to upgrade for a longer time.
Old 24th September 2009, 18:05   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Exactly! which would cost anywhere 400$+ in which he would be better of buying a new headunit and steering cotrols can be retained using an interface, if not available I know someone who could make one.
After 400$, I would practically have nothing left for speakers and all. I guess, I will take it one step at a time. Lets see what comes out of the speaker change (+ amp). If it doesn't work out, I will see if a HU change is required.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
I would suggest NOT going for a processor. AS i said earlier, JUST upgrade the speakers, damp the doors and THEN see the difference. You might not want to upgrade for a longer time.
frankmehta, Asking you again in case you missed my earlier question: Do most amps accept line level inputs as well?

Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited by Su-47 : 24th September 2009 at 18:07.
Old 24th September 2009, 19:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
That's exactly what I did for about almost a year :-)
But In my case I made a use of Kicker EQ mainly I could EQ the sound to my preference little bit and secondly I had the advantage of having 3 set of pre outs from the Kicker EQ which was connected to the Amplifier.
Most Amplifiers comes with line level input and with their adapter its possible. In your case Blaupunkt amps could be a better choice with their THA series which is more like plug and play. Sound quality wise they are suppose to be real good. Do check them out, though kinda overpriced here in India. You can look at the option of picking up from US, could work out cheaper.

Here's a review on one of their amp, Blaupunkt THA 475 PNP Install - Car Audio and Electronics Magazine

Last edited by Invinsible : 24th September 2009 at 19:35.
Old 24th September 2009, 21:52   #15
BHPian

The OEM head unit has pre-outs.
Last week when i visited the showroom i saw the hu as an accessory for lxi and vxi.
It had pre-outs for sure but i dont remember how many.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks