Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2009, 16:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asa View Post

Ponmayilal reading you post i think i was too naive to the point of being an idiot, again my defenses were perhaps lulled by the positive experience people at bhp have had there.

just for example the head unit box looked it had at been opened before and i asked the installer and sathya for another unit and he said its a fast moving item and they don't have another one and i said fine go ahead(May 09 on the box perhaps should have made me put my foot down and come back later but i did not ) Next day morning i realized there is no manual present,the unit box with therma-cole is still lying in the backseat. Now after playing a CD for about half an hour at low-medium volume, i pulled it out and it was hot(not warm) to the touch, 3 cds that i have played, around track 8/9 stopped, "next track" did not work, i had to turn off and turn on the unit to get it to play again. All these CDs are original with >5 years and they do have decent scratches on the surface, but play fine on my home DVD player.

Any kenwood 6043 users could you please do the above experiment and provide feedback on does the CD get really hot, i have never felt a CD or DVD so warm/hot to touch , not even in delhi summer.
Mistakes can happen, to err is human, however mistakes can be avoided, In our country perfect labour is hard to find, we train our boys to handle customer's cars carefully, but sometimes things go out of human control, I myself had asked the guy who worked on your car to go keep the pads inside the store so that they dont get scratched, and exactly that happened, I was furious when i saw the pads and was not able to understand how it happened when the pads were inside, but someone definitely has dropped them, maybe a customer who walking in to that section of the shop, as the workers were all outside in the parking area.
Enough said, a mistake, is a mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asa View Post

Prince85 you are correct it is indeed Lxi, i got the PW done at pratham motors, place from where i bought the car. It is reassuring that there is a MGA accessory for the cover, i shall probably checkup with them tomorrow about it. I will be so happy if that "eye sore" is fixed.

Around noon i took the car to evo to show the state of the car, inquire about the manual, the front door panels have not been properly fixed , there is a clear gap where the door opening lever is there, through which i peep and see the innards.
Thanks again for all your posts, I already feel so much better, as Ponmayilal put it , its not end of the world !, shall keep you all posted
I had mentioned this when we first saw the scratches that the power window is an accessory provided by maruti, so thankfully it's not a permanent part of the pad itself, I also told you I am ready to owe up to it and pay for the two new plastic consoles,
If they are not available, I can get a matt finish paintjob done with the same shade, people in our country think painters are all adjustment folks, and they are in most cases, but there are some jobs which can be done pretty well.

I even messaged you the next day in the morning if you have trouble finding the MGA part, please let me know, I can use my contacts to get one out.

I was out of town till today morning, and am just about catching up with work.

When it comes to Kenwood player causing heating we will have to look into it. That's why you have 2 years Official Warranty on paper.

Sometimes, boxes are opened to show the real faceplate of the product to some customers, people demand that a lot. Some of us Indians will probably live our lives with the touch and feel concept.
The easiest way to find out whether some player is " Used ", is to look at the chasis for scratch marks which come the very first time you install a player, look for the wiring harness which should have have been sleeved or bear gum marks. Also wherever screw holes are provided will have installation marks.

The mistake is at our end, I apologise for the pain caused, we are ready to fix it, call as per your convenience.

Last edited by blueraven316 : 16th November 2009 at 16:47.
Old 16th November 2009, 17:11   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraven316 View Post
Enough said, a mistake, is a mistake.
The mistake is at our end, I apologise for the pain caused, we are ready to fix it, call as per your convenience.
@BlueRaven316,

Accepting ones mistake is a virtue. Accepting the same mistake and then following it up for closure is something that is very hard to come by, more so in certain service industries.

naaa to the post above.

I know of you only thru this forum and well spoken of here. But this post above give a better insight into your integrity. Kudos!
Old 17th November 2009, 07:16   #18
asa

Hi Folks,
Been busy with office work, I checked up with pratham motors , same status, the accessory guy is still trying to find out, Blueraven, feel free to find out in parallel about the MGA part. i need to bring the car back to your place, the front door panel has gap which needs to be fixed, i had shown the problem to your dad & fitment guy on sunday . Let me see perhaps today or tomorrow

abhibh, give me a day, shall post most photos.
Old 17th November 2009, 11:09   #19
BANNED

this is a most common problem in bombay. the main reason also that i stopped installed anything aftermarket. no matter what you do these indian labours just do not listen. they just dont say that 1 english labour is equal to 100 indian ones for the heck of it. when it comes to details india cannot touch the work done in the west or come to think of it anywhere in the world.
Old 17th November 2009, 11:34   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
they just dont say that 1 english labour is equal to 100 indian ones for the heck of it. when it comes to details india cannot touch the work done in the west or come to think of it anywhere in the world.
Or Chinese labour. Blueraven/other installers maybe can look at importing a few of these.
www.outlookindia.com | The Long March
Old 17th November 2009, 11:54   #21
BHPian

@jesal, I agree with you entirely but it is not only the labourers but almost all classes including vendors, businessmen, officials and whomsoever you can think of. All of them do work but there is not even an intention to do it as perfectly as possible and take pride - let alone any compulsions.

@asa, i'm indeed sorry that you are denied even the pleasure of the sound of music, as the HU appears defective.

In such cases, where the product is found to be defective on first count itself, most manufacturers replace the entire unit with a new piece to satisfy the customer and maintain goodwill instead of keeping him waiting for a repair-job to be done.

Blueraven can certainly help you to get a new one, including the manual immediately using his standings, influence and contacts.(I cannot even think of a new unit without a manual.)

Take your time to post the happenings. We shall wait and all best wishes that you get on track fast.
Old 17th November 2009, 12:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

OT:

Responding to Jesal: So true! My head lamp upgrade was handled exactly in a way I absolutely did not want it to be! So, finally I did a DIY.

But having said that, it is not always possible that one can keep doing DIY for all required things.
Old 17th November 2009, 12:46   #23
Team-BHP Support

Seems like the door pads fell down on the ground, those plastics are notorious at attracting scratches.

Isnt there a way to buff the scratch off?
Old 17th November 2009, 12:49   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Seems like the door pads fell down on the ground, those plastics are notorious at attracting scratches.

Isnt there a way to buff the scratch off?
Nope you'll only make it worse. You can even paint it beucase in time the paint will wear off. Only option is to replace them.
Old 17th November 2009, 15:56   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraven316 View Post
I also told you I am ready to owe up to it and pay for the two new plastic consoles,
sorry guys for being off topic.

i wish you paid my loss of Rs. 24,000/- as well which was due to your packing error.
Old 17th November 2009, 16:00   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty9991 View Post
i wish you paid my loss of Rs. 24,000/- as well which was due to your packing error.
Whats the connection between Ludiana and Bangalore ? Just wondering.

Sorry for the intrusion
Old 17th November 2009, 16:13   #27
BHPian

A sad experience @asa. Good that he is willing to bear the expenses.

A disappointing experience for me too at Evo.

Had read a lot about Evo and Sathya here on Team-BHP and was very keen on getting ICE done from him. So, as soon as I came back from China (I was there for about 3 yrs), I bought a Swift Vxi and waited for some time until I decided to go for the ICE.

I had decided that I would get the ICE done at Evo, and this meant I had to bypass my regular installer. But thought it's going to be worth it. I had lot of expectations from Evo about the installation, and was very keen on meeting Sathya.

(FYI: My regular installer is also an awesome guy. Does an immaculate job and is very technical, and I have a long term relation with him. Had got very good setups installed in my Esteem and Cielo from him.)

Finally, the day came and I was very happy that I would have the ICE done. Took my Swift to Evo and found that Sathya was not in shop. Met a nice guy called Sandeep, who was sitting in for Sathya.
Told him that right now my budget is around 16k and I will be doing upgrades later. We talked about my requirements and about the current setup required, different products available in various price ranges and all that stuff.

We decided that the later upgrades would be a monoblock and a 4 channel amp, a sub-woofer and co-axials. Right now it would be just a good HU and components at the front. After a lot of discussion, Sandeep called Sathya and told him my requirements and budget. Sathya suggested Polk Momo DB series components and Kenwood KDC-X7529.They were well within my budget. He said that the dealer for the Kenwood HU was offering a very good price and he would get it for me for Rs.8500.
But it didn't have a built in USB port. He said the USB adapter would cost Rs.4500 extra and he would get it for me about a week later. I was not so keen on going for a HU that does not have USB connectivity. But he and Sandeep convinced me that this was an awesome HU and would greatly club with my future upgrades. So, I reluctantly agreed to go with this HU trusting Sathya and also what I had read about him on Team-BHP.

I waited at his shop and at around 2 PM he came with the stuff. I was seeing him for the first time and went to him and introduced myself. Told him that I am a BHPian and have read about him on Team-BHP and that is how I got to know about him and his shop. He didn't react much and spoke very little.

Later customers and maybe some friends of his started flowing in and he got busy speaking to them taking turns. I actually wanted to talk to him some more about the system setup but never got a chance as someone or the other was trying to/or speaking to him.

Then the installation started. There were 3 guys who were quite young. They started the installation at around 4 in the evening. They were doing the installation job very fast and slowly I started to get a J.C. road installation feeling. It was as if they were having fun and playing around. I thought since it is Sathya's shop nothing to worry about. He would certainly know his guys. Checked on Sathya, he was busy. Lot of people coming in and asking him a lot of questions about their requirements.

The installation was almost complete and not even once he came and inspected what was going on. By this time I was starting to get disappointed. Once of the installer actually, after connecting the wires for the HU found out that he had installed the HU case (the shell) upside down. I was shocked but didn't say anything. He was laughing (very kiddish) and then he removed all the connections, screws and installed it properly. This, I really didn't like.

So, finally the installation was completed at around 6.30 PM. The installers moved on to the next car. I went in and told Sathya that the installation was done and asked him to check the output. He came and sat and did some adjustments and said that the output was awesome and went back into the shop. I too followed him and paid the bill. He gave some discount and the total bill was Rs.15500. He said he would get in touch with me regarding the USB adapter and took my mob.number. I went back home a little disappointed as the installation didn't happen as I had expected, and a little happy that I now had ICE in my car.

The next morning when I got into the car I found that there were a lot of gaps in the drivers side door pad and the front panel above the HU also had gaps, it was not aligned/fit properly. So I went to Evo immediately and they were just opening shop. Sathya was still not there. The 3 installer guys were there. As I was telling them the issue Sathya came and I immediately went to him told him that this was not good. He saw what the issue was and scolded the installer guys saying, What is this? Is this the way to do the job? Oh, whatever. It was set right and I said goodbye and left.

I waited for about 2 weeks, didn't hear from Sathya about the USB adapter/connector, so called him to inquire about the it. When I called, first of all he didn't remember me. That's ok, lot of customers for him. After telling him about the HU and USB and all that stuff he remembered me and said he would speak to the dealer and get back to me. He never got back. I waited for another 2 weeks and again called him. Again it was the same procedure. I told him my name and the HU model number and asked him about the USB connector. He again said that he would get in touch with the dealer and get back to me, but never did.

I was totally disappointed by now and didn't want to drag this further and just kept quiet thinking that when time comes I will just replace the HU. I took this HU only because he said he would get me the USB thing in a week without fail.

After about 3 months from the installation I was ready for the upgrade of my ICE and this time got back to my previous installer. When he saw the HU he said that this was an outdated HU and nobody uses it these days. He said there are a lot of better models available in the market with built-in USB ports. (Note that I had not told him about all this Evo experience.)

Then we bought all the required stuff for the upgrade and when the front door pads were opened for the revamp I was very sad to find that the cross-overs fitted on the door were hanging loose and almost in a stage to fall off. The speaker wire connected was interfering with the movement of the power windows. Every time the window came down and went up, it would drag the speaker wire up and down. This was the case with both the doors. I felt that this was very poor installation. All this was rectified by my installer and the upgrade was done. And I am very happy with the output. (I added JBL 4 channel and Monoblock amps, a Kenwood 1500 Watt sub-woofer and JBL co-axials.) I still am using the same Kenwood HU. Will change it to a good one with USB port sometime in the future.

There may be people who have had good experience and installations at Evo but not me. I may have got a very basic setup installed at Evo but that was enough for me know what I would get there.
Old 17th November 2009, 16:16   #28
Senior - BHPian

If i ma not mistaken monty had purchased a swift sports kit from blueraven but due to improper packing some part of some thing was broken. More monty can shed some light.
Old 17th November 2009, 16:32   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin View Post
A sad experience @asa. Good that he is willing to bear the expenses.
A disappointing experience for me too at Evo.
There may be people who have had good experience and installations at Evo but not me. I may have got a very basic setup installed at Evo but that was enough for me know what I would get there.
Hey Dolphin, reading your post seemed like I was reading my experience with EVO to a large extent. I was disappointed with the 'quality of workmanship' involved and expected better professional work.

Some of the details here:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound...tml#post952686

There were issues that I found out later but thought that it was best to get those rectified elsewhere...

Anyway, lesson learnt the hard way
Old 17th November 2009, 16:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin View Post
When he saw the HU he said that this was an outdated HU and nobody uses it these days. He said there are a lot of better models available in the market with built-in USB ports.
Dolphin, when did you get the EVO installation done? Affordable HUs with USB have been available for a while now and you could have zeroed in some some good HUs through some research on Team-BHP itself.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks