Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2009, 18:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Simple Ice setup for the Xylo

Guys,

I am planning to retain the original 2DIN head unit of the Xylo and planning to fit a 2channel Sony amplifier, Pioneer sub and a pair of Pioneer tweeters.

Will post pictures of both the amp and sub soon. I am also planning to keep the original speakers of the Xylo as I do not intend to carve the frames or make additional cavities.

I am unable to find any details on the configuration of the current speaker setup. There is no user manual for the system. Will remove the speakers and post the details here.

1. Before anything how do I confirm there is an output from the current head without removing the same? I know its close to impossible, yet.
2. Would I need any tool to remove the head?
3. Anything else that I should take into consideration?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by beejay : 26th November 2009 at 18:39.
Old 26th November 2009, 22:51   #2
BHPian

HI Beejay, if you have confirmed with going ahead with 2ch sony amp and pioneer sub woofer
I dont think there would be a seperate sub woofer out in your stock player , still your sony amp can be connected on your stock player using the hi input socket which comes along with the sony amp.
Old 27th November 2009, 09:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Nandrajog View Post
HI Beejay, if you have confirmed with going ahead with 2ch sony amp and pioneer sub woofer
I dont think there would be a seperate sub woofer out in your stock player , still your sony amp can be connected on your stock player using the hi input socket which comes along with the sony amp.
Thanks for that Ravi. I don't think there is an output for the sub. Will confirm today.
Old 27th November 2009, 09:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Pictures of what I plan to fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Simple Ice setup for the Xylo-image0006.jpg  

Simple Ice setup for the Xylo-image0007.jpg  

Simple Ice setup for the Xylo-image0008.jpg  

Old 28th November 2009, 23:06   #5
BHPian

There is no sub out on your stock player.Understanding these hu limitations , Use the high input socket connection in your sony 222 and connect it to the rear out of your stock player.
Connect the tweeters in the front out of your hu.
Please make sure your woofer enclosure should be as per the company given specification.
enjoy the music.
Old 29th November 2009, 10:49   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
I am planning to retain the original 2DIN head unit of the Xylo and planning to fit a 2channel Sony amplifier, Pioneer sub and a pair of Pioneer tweeters.
1. Do not add those tweeters. They are really not that good.
2. The Xylo does NOT have any preouts on the HU you will need an amp that has speaker level inputs or a speaker level to line level converter.
3. since the Xylo HU has only front and rear speaker outs I would suggest that you connect the amp to the rear speaker outs (along with your rear speakers). This way if you fade the sub you can fade to the front (the rear speakers will fade alogn with the sub too).
4. The amp you have does not have a remote level controller so the rear speakers will fade along with the sub.
Old 30th November 2009, 13:41   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
1. Do not add those tweeters. They are really not that good.
2. The Xylo does NOT have any preouts on the HU you will need an amp that has speaker level inputs or a speaker level to line level converter.
3. since the Xylo HU has only front and rear speaker outs I would suggest that you connect the amp to the rear speaker outs (along with your rear speakers). This way if you fade the sub you can fade to the front (the rear speakers will fade alogn with the sub too).
4. The amp you have does not have a remote level controller so the rear speakers will fade along with the sub.
I agree with you Navin but just had some suggestions:
1) tweeters wont be too sharp as they wont be amplified, directly connected with HU wont make them sound that cheeky.
2) connecting the amp in the rear out is fine but i think we shouldnt amplify the stock speakers, it wiill give more of distortion.
3) yeah the 222 sony amp does not have a remote level controller so if we connect amp in the rear out we can control the sub with using fader option.
thnx.
Old 1st December 2009, 14:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Navin and Ravi Nandrajog, I have fit the amp and sub. There was an output on the stock 2DIN. Must say it does sound way better than before. Thanks again for your help.
Regards,
Benny John
Old 1st December 2009, 17:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Nandrajog View Post
... 1) tweeters wont be too sharp as they wont be amplified, directly connected with HU wont make them sound that cheeky.
2) connecting the amp in the rear out is fine but i think we shouldnt amplify the stock speakers, it wiill give more of distortion.
1. What do you think you are connecting to when you are connecting to the HU? The internal amp! Fundamentally, these Pio tweeters are terribly fatiguing - they were good for driving with windows open to show to others one has a swanky sound system. Lol those were the days!

2. Even stock speakers benefit from an amp. If you say they distort, I think you must be used to playing music at an unnaturally high volume for that to happen. Stock speakers are not incompetent - just that other speakers are better
Old 1st December 2009, 18:45   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
1. ...Fundamentally, these Pio tweeters are terribly fatiguing - they were good for driving with windows open to show to others one has a swanky sound system. Lol those were the days!

2. Even stock speakers benefit from an amp. If you say they distort, I think you must be used to playing music at an unnaturally high volume for that to happen. Stock speakers are not incompetent - just that other speakers are better
1) Haha that really cracked me up. Were you joking, or were people actually doing this in their cars, and if so when was this?

2) Out of curiosity, cars like the outlander, Audis, BMWs etc feature Rockford Fosgate, Bang & Oulfsen and Harmon Kardon systems as "stock"/premier audio package. In such case would these speakers be refered to as stock? (Since they considerably outperform the stock systems on almost every other car...)

Cheers
Old 1st December 2009, 18:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

Wish to clarify that I have not fixed those tweets. I must agree they were too treblish.

Have fixed only the amp and the sub.
Old 1st December 2009, 22:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
2) Out of curiosity, cars like the outlander, Audis, BMWs etc feature Rockford Fosgate, Bang & Oulfsen and Harmon Kardon systems as "stock"/premier audio package. In such case would these speakers be refered to as stock? (Since they considerably outperform the stock systems on almost every other car...)

Cheers
Dr. DocG....Deralte Ji only mentioned stock setup which is supplied with car he did not mentioned premium stock car setups !!!!
Old 1st December 2009, 23:25   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
1. What do you think you are connecting to when you are connecting to the HU? The internal amp! Fundamentally, these Pio tweeters are terribly fatiguing - they were good for driving with windows open to show to others one has a swanky sound system. Lol those were the days!

Hi ,
1) Agreed with you that those pioneer tweets are terrible, also i understand there is an amp in most of the HU , what wattage are we talking about 15x4 ??

2) Most of the stock speakers are dual paper cone max wattage around 30-40 rms.
we can do anything and evrything with them (even amplify them) but the stock player of 15x4 rms is enough to drive those stock speakers.

anyways good to hear beejay has completed the install.
HAPPY LISTENING
Old 2nd December 2009, 10:40   #14
BHPian

woah thats a lot of numbers..!
now i know why its called ask the gurus..so whatever you say ravi guruji!!

anyways i tried hooking an amp to my stock speakers once.my tuner said that its pointless coz you can only keep it at a very mild tune or else they'd blow..well i did try pushing it and kaboom!
yea whats the point again??
Old 2nd December 2009, 11:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild4lyfe View Post
anyways i tried hooking an amp to my stock speakers once.my tuner said that its pointless coz you can only keep it at a very mild tune or else they'd blow..well i did try pushing it and kaboom!
yea whats the point again??
How long did your stock speakers last?

The sound is now much better amplified with a significant increase in the Thump. I tried increasing the volume to a bit crazy and there was no sign of the speakers giving way or any jarring noise.

This was something that I thought of before my install. Now since you have mentioned the same I have my fingers crossed.

Most Viewed