Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2009, 23:45   #1
BHPian

Sub woofer and Amp for Ford Fiesta

Hi Guys, I am interested to installed 12 inch sub in my Fiesta having stock ICE setup.
I remember that some of BHPian recommended me to change HU and other pair of speakers as its of low watt and all.

I know the stock HU is very basic but its installed nicely on dash so don't want to touch it.

Over period of time I may or may not change stock speakers so please guide me such a way that even if I don't touch stock speakers it should not bother me. (Lets go with assumption that I will not change stock setup)

I checked few threads and I understand that JBL 12" sub is good one but again there are two types - cylindrical and box type.

What amp I should go for and how it should be connected to HU or stock speakers (basically the wiring)

So I need to know -
  1. Amp model (price if available) & how to connect it to existing setup (don't want dealer to experiment)?
  2. 12" Sub model number?
  3. Wiring setup?

I am fond of dhop dhop sound - I mean BASS so don't say its not possible to just connect sub as it will not work. Experts please pour suggestions as BHPian can do what others can't.

Last edited by kumar7 : 20th December 2009 at 23:48.
Old 21st December 2009, 00:12   #2
BHPian

THe stock hu for the fiesta has no pre-outs, You can connect an amplifier with speaker level inputs. But be advised as this is not a great idea and you might not be satisfied.
Old 21st December 2009, 00:19   #3
BHPian

Sathee@ I followed your thread and impressed with ICE setup you have , specially Harman everywhere

I want to keep upgrading whole setup as second option which I may or may not go for. Do you suggest any specific amp or model I should look for? Is it 2ch or 4ch?
Old 21st December 2009, 00:29   #4
BHPian

This is how every one starts, LOL. There are many good amplifiers available, what is your intial budget?
Old 24th December 2009, 18:39   #5
BHPian

I believe 12" Sub cost you somewhere around 6K so I can spend 5K on top of it for amp.
Old 25th December 2009, 23:28   #6
BHPian

Adding just an amplifier and a subwoofer would not sound nice. You will hear only the sub-woofer and the speakers cant keep up with it being powered by only the HU. Get a good 4-channel amplifier and run the front components and the sub-woofer of it.

get a 12" subwoofer from 3-6k, for components you can get the JBL 608c for 4k. I have no proper suggestions for the 4 channel as you are planning to use speaker level inputs. I have no experience with it. The kenwood 8401, Blaupunkt 475 has it, but i have no idea of the cost right now.
Old 26th December 2009, 22:18   #7
BHPian

Installation done

Today I gone to inquire about the setup and was not able to resist myself to fit the setup.

I was clear about which Components (JBL 608C) & Sub (JBL 1214) to buy however was not sure if I can get Amp as suggested by Sathee.

From dealer I came to know that Blaupank is closed and its difficult to get exact series. If dealers are having old stock then you are lucky else no dealer will order required system for you.

I wanted to stick to JBL brand and coincidently two dealers suggested to go for JBL 1004 Amp (4 channel).

So below is the setup I finalized:-

Component [JBL 608C] - Rs 5.5K
JBL 1004 Amp - Rs 12K
Sub JBL GTO 1214 (1400 Watt) - Rs 5.5K
Enclosure - Rs 500
Labour - Rs 1K
Wiring/RCA/Spacer - Rs 2500

(Enclosure/wiring/RCA/Spacer price is not exact as I will be getting bill on Monday)

When I checked with JBL distributor he said I will not get GTO 1214 as its stopped and its difficult to get unless if any dealer have it in stock.

I checked with other dealer where I planned to close the deal and he didn't said anything about unavialbility of GTO 1214 as he was very much sure that he will be having with him.

The work started and then news came saying that GTO 1214 not in stock and he checked with shop in Mumbai as well (don't know how much its true). He suggested to check JBL GT5 1204BR speakers of 1100W and not forcing to buy. After fixing comp,Amp,wiring he showed the demo with GT5 1204BR. I read on TBHP that GTO 1214 is good one so I had a deal saying that dealer will try to get GTO 1214 and by that time I can use GT5 1204BR Sub for which I paid additional Rs 1.5K (For Sub GT5 1204BR the dealer quoted price of Rs 8K) and if he unbale to get it and I wish to return GT5 1204BR speaker then he will take it back.

So in all I paid Rs 29.5K (Budget increased from 15K to 30K)
  1. Now Please suggest whether I should keep GT5 1204BR sub or insist on GTO 1214?
  2. Any suggestion on keeping bass/treble settings of Amp as I kept the default setting of Amp as dealer was asking me whether I want more Bass etc?
  3. If I its recommed to go for GTO 1214 then what size and enclosure/cut I should I ask for?
  4. Is Amp 1004 is costlier or I should had gone for lower range? I am getting feeling that its too costly for the setup I gone for.

I will post the picture tomorrow morning as it was too late to click photo.
Attached photo of Sub GT5 1204BR for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Sub woofer and Amp for Ford Fiesta-img096.jpg  

Sub woofer and Amp for Ford Fiesta-untitled.jpg  

Old 27th December 2009, 00:06   #8
BHPian

Please check your manual & see whether the amp has speaker level inputs. I may be completely mistaken but I have a feeling that it does not. Please find out how the installers have connected it to the HU then. The stock HU supposedly has no pre-outs.
Please check whether you have been billed for RCAs. Since the HU does not have any pre-outs, it seems unlikely that RCAs could have been used.
I am hoping that the Gurus quickly announce that I am raising a false alarm.
Old 27th December 2009, 10:32   #9
BHPian

The 1004 is a very good amp, but afaik it does not have speaker level inputs. You might have to use something called a line out convertor. Have you installed it already?
Old 27th December 2009, 11:05   #10
BHPian

Yes, they installed 'Line Out Converter' and the dealer while giving the quote included RCA term.

I dont remember exactly but I saw two adapter sort of thing he connected behind HU. From one of that unit he did few adjustments so that 608c sound correctly.

What should I do with Sub I installed for time being?

Sometimes the car compartment is full of bhoom sound and not exactly the Bass punch which am looking for (In between I not able to hear rear speakers).
Attached Images

Old 27th December 2009, 12:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

What wiring kit did you use?
The 1004 needs atleast 10 mm.sq. aka 8 ga.
Old 27th December 2009, 13:55   #12
BHPian

I thought about using JBL wiring but dealer said he have standard wires so rest assured. In layman term he used a thick red cable running from battery.

Then he ran bunch of cable from HU to Amp having connectors on both side. Also he ran a pair of thin wires (I believe that was coming from 608C if am not wrong).
Old 27th December 2009, 22:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar7 View Post
Sometimes the car compartment is full of bhoom sound and not exactly the Bass punch which am looking for (In between I not able to hear rear speakers).
This does not sound good. Set the bass on the HU to zero. Set all levels on the amp only.
Old 27th December 2009, 22:57   #14
BHPian

Thanks, I set the bass & treble to zero from HU. Its working nice and am enjoying the music like anything. Now feeling to retain GT5 1204 instead of going for GTO 1214 & customized enclosure.

Sometimes when there is a series of bass effect in a song then whole compartment of the car does bhroon..bhroon (sorry its sounding ) but just want you to understand In this series of bhroon sometimes I miss the music or is it the way it works? Other than this its amazing experience!
Old 27th December 2009, 23:17   #15
BHPian

Set the gains for the woofer to a lower level if you feel the bass is too much or get some damping done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks