Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2009, 10:37   #31
naughty001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
I tried the tennis ball pod last night,But the big problem is-Cut the ball properly in two parts, the edges are not as they should be.So will be buying some more balls today to get it done.
OR else Will head to market and search for some 1-2" arclyic balls,Or will head to Carpenter(Wooden Pods,Easier to fabricate and no tensio of FG)
to give you an idea of how i did it have a look here

www.speedandsound.co.za :: View topic - how to experiment with tweeter angles

instead of the hacksaw you could also use the stanley knife to cut those depending how soft the balls are and also file this to get a straighter edges after cutting

Old 30th December 2009, 14:26   #32
Senior - BHPian

Use the soft tennis ball, measure the mounting diameter of the tweeter after removing the back chamber. I removed the back chamber on the Morel tweets, measured the mounting cutout and cut the tennis ball almost 1/3 and not in 2 equal part. Tweeter fitted in perfectly without leaving any gaps, I put a thin opencell foam over it. Cover it fit leather or even a speaker grill cloth and its all set. Reg the mounting bracket, getting a stand made, will be fixing at the back of tennis ball instead of bottom with a 3.5" off the dashboard.
Old 19th January 2010, 00:56   #33
Senior - BHPian

Finally made the sphere enclosure for the Morel Tweets mounted on fabricated machined finish metal stand. The enclosured is covered in speaker grill cloth.
Will post more pics as to how I did. Was one task, not so simple as it looks
Attached Thumbnails
Tweeter placement and Pod?-19012010458.jpg  

Last edited by Invinsible : 19th January 2010 at 01:02.
Old 8th March 2010, 14:18   #34
BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...d-tweeters.jpg

I tried this on dash, but the pods keep on moving around, Any idea, as to fix them on dash, so that it doesn't comes off on turns or bumps.Something that doesn't needs alteration in dash or A-pillar.
2) Tweeter should aim at an angle of 30deg, so thinking of using some wooden piece under them to have requied incline. Looking for better ideas to get the incline so that tweeter are aim at ear level.

Last edited by Gill : 8th March 2010 at 14:20.
Old 8th March 2010, 16:13   #35
BHPian

Quote:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...d-tweeters.jpg

I tried this on dash, but the pods keep on moving around, Any idea, as to fix them on dash, so that it doesn't comes off on turns or bumps.Something that doesn't needs alteration in dash or A-pillar.
2) Tweeter should aim at an angle of 30deg, so thinking of using some wooden piece under them to have requied incline. Looking for better ideas to get the incline so that tweeter are aim at ear level.
As its temporary, use a double sided foam tape. Clay can also be useful.

Last edited by shreyasma : 8th March 2010 at 16:15.
Old 8th March 2010, 16:44   #36
BHPian

I am looking for a long term fix! Used Double sided tape, but it's too heavy for it.Bond is not long lasting.I am not sure about clay's bonding qualities.
Will super glue damage the dash?
Old 8th March 2010, 16:58   #37
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for a long term fix! Used Double sided tape, but it's too heavy for it.Bond is not long lasting.I am not sure about clay's bonding qualities.
Will super glue damage the dash?
Find a 500 ml plastic bottle with the most flat edge and cut the below portion like shown in pic.

Tweeter placement and Pod?-bottle.jpg

Stick the ball in the bottom portion of bottle using super glue. Now stick the double sided tape to the base of the bottle and stick to dash. If you spray this ball & stand with some paint, It will look clean and will cause least damage to your dash/plastic.

Basically the ball is not sticking directly with tape as the surface touching the dash is less compared to the total mass of the ball. by using the bottle, the surface in contact with the dash will increase giving it adhesion strength

This is what I mean.

Tweeter placement and Pod?-tweets.jpg

PS: superglue directly applied to the dash or any plastic will surely damage.

Last edited by shreyasma : 8th March 2010 at 17:11.
Old 8th March 2010, 21:29   #38
BHPian

Thanks Shreyas, nice Idea. I think, I wil have to look for options with wood, as the pods with tweeter are heavy, adding to the cause is that, weight is in front end of the pod and it keeps on falling on it's face.
Finding hard to fix this.
Old 9th March 2010, 10:12   #39
Senior - BHPian

To fix the toppling, in the solution given by Shreyas, fill the bottle with sand before assembling. Also, instead of using a soft tennis ball, look for the hard plastic balls used by kids with plastic bats. (There used to be an ice-cream company selling ice cream in such balls long time back. Not available any more, I guess)
Old 9th March 2010, 11:40   #40
BHPian

You can either fill the plastic bottle with sand or even stuff it with modelling clay.

It topples because of the uneven weight distribution. By filling the bottle, the base is made heavier than the ball and tweeter due to which it is forced to stand still.

If you feel wood is what you like, then you can use a small block (again a heavy one) with a concave surface at the top so that the ball sits in place.
Else, use normal piece of wood and replace the ball with a plastic one to eliminate the extra weight of rubber.

Ex:-
Tweeter placement and Pod?-artconcavetimberseat.jpg
Old 10th March 2010, 00:57   #41
Senior - BHPian

could we have a pic of how the enclosure has come out ?

if you could get some fabrication work done could solve the problem.

I got the the 2.5" metal spacer used in hanging bigger glass pieces on tables and walls of the interior. Below is the pic of the same, have used the 3m double side tape to keep it standing. Been using it since a month without any issues. Or else you could get a 1-2" diameter plexi glass round round piping cut it to the length of 3". fix the sphere on to it and the bottom part of to the dashboard with 3m double side tape.
Old 10th March 2010, 10:15   #42
BHPian

Pic source Internet,I have pods similar to these.Now the problem is lack of space on dash to place it.I tried to place the pods in corner, next to A-pillar,due to it's size, I am not able to fix it there.
Attached Thumbnails
Tweeter placement and Pod?-wood-pods.jpg  

Old 10th March 2010, 10:50   #43
BHPian

Pic source:-T-bhp.

This is a pic for reference.Now the problem is space, If I use a stand below the pod, and size of the stand is greater then 2", pod will not fit in there, even without any base only 40% of pod sits on dash, that's why it keep on falling down.These tweets(102) are big and real pain to install
Attached Thumbnails
Tweeter placement and Pod?-_bin509420medium.jpg  

Old 10th March 2010, 14:38   #44
Senior - BHPian

@Gill, are you not able to mount it on the A-pillar cladding like in the pic above?

Alternatively, if you are mounting those wooden cups, position them in the corner (where windshield, A-pillar and dash meet).
* Position the pods as far as they will go in that corner. Make sure you have drilled holes in the pod for the wire to come out. Hold it down with cellotape temporarily
* Use M-Seal to fashion a profile below the pod, to extend gradually beyond the dash. Extend it till it supports the cup stably in that position (without the tweeter). Should look like an elbow ultimately. Position it to get the right direction (left one towards driver, right one towards passenger). Smoothen it to look good
* Allow this profile to harden, and then stick it to the pod with Araldite. Paint the whole assembly to match the color of the dash
* Mount the tweeter in the pod
* Use a long strip of double-sided tape below this profile to stick it to the dash where you want it

Voila!
Old 10th March 2010, 15:44   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
@Gill, are you not able to mount it on the A-pillar cladding like in the pic above?

Alternatively, if you are mounting those wooden cups, position them in the corner (where windshield, A-pillar and dash meet).
* Position the pods as far as they will go in that corner. Make sure you have drilled holes in the pod for the wire to come out. Hold it down with cellotape temporarily
* Use M-Seal to fashion a profile below the pod, to extend gradually beyond the dash. Extend it till it supports the cup stably in that position (without the tweeter). Should look like an elbow ultimately. Position it to get the right direction (left one towards driver, right one towards passenger). Smoothen it to look good
* Allow this profile to harden, and then stick it to the pod with Araldite. Paint the whole assembly to match the color of the dash
* Mount the tweeter in the pod
* Use a long strip of double-sided tape below this profile to stick it to the dash where you want it

Voila!
You stole my words!!

You can try m-seal like in the pic

Tweeter placement and Pod?-mseal.jpg

Last edited by shreyasma : 10th March 2010 at 15:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks