Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2010, 12:17   #1
BHPian

ICE upgrade for cruze

I am looking for upgrading the ICE of cruze. Though the factory fitted system is ok, but I wouldn't mind investing or rather spending for something better. I am not an audiophile but I can make out difference between good and excellent sounding setup.
In my swift I have blaupunkt headunit, mtx component speakers, velocity oval speakers, blaupunkt amplifier and blaupunkt active woofer.

I am not sure if I can upgrade cruze's original headunit, but I would any day go for a DVD, GPS, bluetooth setup.
I found below link of such a setup, not sure if its available in India market. if anyone is aware of its availaibilty kindly let me know.
Chevrolet Cruze GPS Navigation with DVD player and 7 Digital Monitor and built-in DVB-T RDS Chevrolet Cruze Car video audio, Chevrolet Cruze multimedia system - $580.00

For sure I would like to upgrade the existing speakers, I would prefer something that can easily be setup in the existing 6 speaker setup of cruze without cutting wires. I remember I had problems fitting in MTX component speakers in my swift front door. Personally i prefer MTX speakers, your suggestions welcome. I did not wanted to put any speaker manufacturer name in my post, but I couldn't help it. I do love MTX speakers, "bulla ki jaana" sounded the best on these speakers.

Also if any of you know about a good auto accessories shop in Mumbai suburbs then lemme know, someone who have experienced technician.
Lastly my budget is 25K for speakers and 25K for headunit (if upgrade is available).
Hoping for lots of replies from fellow bhpian.
Old 16th January 2010, 13:11   #2
BHPian

A small correction its infinity speakers and not velocity
Old 23rd January 2010, 13:34   #3
BHPian

Disappointingly there is no active participation from fellow bhpian. Your valuable suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.
Old 23rd January 2010, 14:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

You may skip changing the Hu as that will play a spoilt sport for the interiors.
upgrading to better speaker's/components will make the car sounding better,only thing you need to convert the OEM HU speaker output to RCA's and then connect over the 4-band/7-band equilizer (which can give you the freedom to play with different settings) and add a good 4channel amplifier to boost up the sound quality and loudness

Installing a quality ICE in a cruze is not a very difficult task.there are alot of brands you can choose according to your listenings.

ramie
Old 26th January 2010, 02:01   #5
BHPian

mah 2010 cruze ICE updating ...

Hi, I thought I'd create a new thread but good I found yours ...

Well I too just got my hands on the 2010 LTZ Cruze .. the reason m specifyin 2010 is cause i also got rear view mirror with indicators -> much needed in this car I'd say

Anyways, this is how I'm updating my audio and I suggest you go the same ways or atleast get some pointers ->

do not change the head unit with the chinese after market listed on ebay or other such sites - these are expensive, not original (of course) and pathetic at the sound quality -> this is the crucial factor ...
more over the buttons it would come with would be of a cheap plastic and would fade out later ... I mean the whole idea is to make the integrated thing look good right ?

really want a dvd player -> buy an external one and put an lcd - but that looks cheap as all taxi's have it too ! integrated -> wait for the original ones to pop out once the car is launched in the US - a year more I guess.

Now the head unit does not feature any preouts -> so you have to have amplifiers with stereo level inputs ... but this is a nice blaunpankt rds head unit .. ignore my spellin mistakes ...

i'm taking off the front speakers and tweeters and replacing them with my polk audio's sweet components ( db 6501 or something )....

rear door speakers just create too much bass and make the sound dull, so removing those and fitting 6*9's (again polk component) in the rear tray ... yes i'll have to cut the sweet little rear tray, but one must compromise for correct sound placement, door speakers in the rear just don't make up for good sound ! u need sound staging ....

I'm powering these four speakers using a fosgate amplifier (4*75watts 4ohms). of course, m talking RMS.

I have yet to know whether I could remove the front tweeters and replace them from within with the polk audio component tweeters, if not, I'd place the tweeter on the dashboard and simply disconnect the existing tweeters ..

Now what about the sub -- well I've got a nice 500 watt rms 4ohm fosgate 2channel bridged amp that'll pump out enough power to handle my pioneer 12" SVC 450 watt woofer (can't recall the model)...

remember, both amps would take the output from the headunit's stereo outputs only and for the subs I'd have to split any two channels into four, which is no big deal cause anyways I'm putting it into the amps and the sound wattage wouldn't matter .. it'll be scaled down as good as a preout ..

things to remember -> make sure 4 speakers are powered via an external amp that handles almost close to the speaker rated power - mine's are all 100 watts RMS ...

you may go 50 watts above with the woofer power handling like in my case - the amp is 500 while the sub is 450 ....

Now this is going to mind numbing bass when turned up, but I can always turn down the bass if I don't want to land up in prison lol ....

I hate to admit though, the current speakers are also very good, i'm just gonna replace them into my father's Accent's front door speakers

I'm getting this setup done in another 8 hours from now, its 2am right now so i'm gonna be keeping everyone updated .... make this a sticky moderators .. not really ;p

Last edited by Dippy : 28th January 2010 at 09:47. Reason: Post edited. Only two smilies per post allowed.
Old 26th January 2010, 19:50   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetkanwar View Post

Well I too just got my hands on the 2010 LTZ Cruze .. the reason m specifyin 2010 is cause i also got rear view mirror with indicators -> much needed in this car I'd say
This is news to me.Will have to find out about it, my car will be delivered on 14th Feb

Quote:
Now the head unit does not feature any preouts -> so you have to have amplifiers with stereo level inputs ... but this is a nice blaunpankt rds head unit .. ignore my spellin mistakes ...
Are you sure its a blaupunkt HU?

i'm taking off the front speakers and tweeters and replacing them with my polk audio's sweet components ( db 6501 or something )....

rear door speakers just create too much bass and make the sound dull, so removing those and fitting 6*9's (again polk component) in the rear tray ... yes i'll have to cut the sweet little rear tray, but one must compromise for correct sound placement, door speakers in the rear just don't make up for good sound ! u need sound staging ....

I'm powering these four speakers using a fosgate amplifier (4*75watts 4ohms). of course, m talking RMS.
Quote:
I have yet to know whether I could remove the front tweeters and replace them from within with the polk audio component tweeters, if not, I'd place the tweeter on the dashboard and simply disconnect the existing tweeters ..
Since your are already cutting your parcel tray, i believe you dont mind doing a little bit more. Try putting the tweeters in the front door panels, it looks good and it doesn't seem out of place.

Quote:
I'm getting this setup done in another 8 hours from now, its 2am right now so i'm gonna be keeping everyone updated .... make this a sticky moderators .. not really ;p
Please do post some photos of your setup.

So far I have decided on below ICE setup.
Morel 3-way component for front door.
Morel Loudspeakers - Mobile Audio - 3 Way Component Systems - Elate
The smaller tweeter can be fitted in the A pillars. The mid one will have to be fitted in the door panel.

And for the back door, again a 2-way component from Morel
Morel Loudspeakers - Mobile Audio - 2 Way Component Systems - Elate
The tweeter will be fitted in the door panel.

I am yet to decide on the woofer.
Possible options are, Infinity kappa series and Rockford Fosgate
Old 26th January 2010, 21:00   #7
BHPian

mah cruzeeee

the sound is awesomeeeeeee, just like I imagined, well that's a great track, should listen to it on the setup

will be posting pics soon.

morel's would be too huge an investment in an entry level luxury sedan IMHO, but to each his own, do post your pics are well.
Old 27th January 2010, 15:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Divesh, as Ramie suggested you can get an EQ which can control your front and rear comps along with your sub since your stock headunit may not be able to do that.
You really have made good choice on components, Morel's are extremely clean drivers, been using them since a long time so can tell you that you'll be much more than happy if there are certain things you keep in mind reg Morel Elate comps.

1. They are real power hungry comps. Each of the comps can handle 200- 250rms safely, in a pair about 400-500rms. For them to really play well they will need anywhere above 150rms or atleast 200rms to shine.

2. Having such an high end comps is good but they demand better hi end amps something like DLS ref or ultimate, Genesis, Zapco, Steg and other similar to these.
RF or infinity kappa are not gonna do justic to the Elates.

3. Even if you pick up the best of comps and amps your week link is the main source unit. Stock HU are calibrated or you can say EQ'd in a way to work the best with stock Speakers. Running these comps on Stock HU will make the matters worst. You might think it's working at best if you may land up getting some harshness from the mids and tweeter eventually making you believe that comps aren't that great. Change the Source unit(headunit) and you will be amazed what they can perform.
Either you look for a new HU or you get the sound processor like RF360.2 or from Alpine or the upcoming JBL MS-8 which should be here by 2nd quarter of the year.

In the end whatever you decide make sure everything is matched in rightway. HU, comps, amps, sub, wiring, installation should be all in the same level.

Also, like to add the Morel elate midbass are excellent choice but they perform well in a small enclosure may be in kick panel or so. When installed in doors the midbass will be good but will not kick as hard as it would in a kick panel or small sealed enclosure. Just by replacing them with stock speakers with little bit of damping will not be enough.
I suggest you think over the other equipment before investing in them.
By the way how much are the Elate 3 way costing you ?
Old 28th January 2010, 00:36   #9
BHPian

@ harpreet
Congrats bro! Please do post the photographs.

@ Invincible
I am trying to get the speakers from US from a friend. These speakers in India are way more expensive.
But now reading your reply and Harpreet's I am confused if I should go for Morel speakers as I won't have luxury to test it with my car before buying it.
Earlier I had thought of going for DLS amps, but my experience with it has not been very good. Just days after warranty got over, my amp was screwed.
The shop were I frequently visit said there is some device from Kicker that act as an EQ and is also used to convert high power output from HU for input suitable for amp. Not sure if you were talking about something similar.
Would also appreciate if you could suggest some ICE setup comprising of amp, 1 three way and 1 two way components speakers (or 2 two way).
Old 28th January 2010, 15:48   #10
BHPian

Rockford fosgate has a very good EQ called the 3sixty.

I'd like you again think whether you'd like to invest such huge amounts into an entry level sedan. When you are driving, only thing will matter is excellent sound coming out of the speakers and you enjoying your ride and driving safely.

Why invest such huge amounts and brand into a car to get slightly better louder sound. Yes slightly. Why slightly ? Cause the source - no matter how many EQ's you put, you'll tune into Radio City or play a 320 KBPS (I doubt) MP3 or a CD !

And louder because of increased RMS these speakers can handle compared to the cheaper (not in quality) alternatives. Dude the car's door will rattle with 200 watts coming out of the each door.

Rather get a nice system at home and listen to lossless audio or HD audio via Blu-rays ! I bet you would know about DTS-HD-MA.

Rest assured, money is yours and so is the choice !

One more thing -> In the US people spend money when they want to get into competetion of who's got better Audio in their car. Or when they simply want huge sound out of their old Civic. We don't do that here.

Now you can rip off the rear seats and install bandpass boxes to get the best bass, modify front door to fit bigger speakers than 6.5 inches to get cleaner highs and lows, the list is endless, but the whole concept is pointless.

Enjoy the Cruze with a decent music setup and make sure it doesnt rattle with the RMS you planning to put into it.

My view are just mine, you may not agree, I mean no offence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diveshsingh View Post
@ harpreet

@ Invincible
I am trying to get the speakers from US from a friend. These speakers in India are way more expensive.
But now reading your reply and Harpreet's I am confused if I should go for Morel speakers as I won't have luxury to test it with my car before buying it.
Earlier I had thought of going for DLS amps, but my experience with it has not been very good. Just days after warranty got over, my amp was screwed.
The shop were I frequently visit said there is some device from Kicker that act as an EQ and is also used to convert high power output from HU for input suitable for amp. Not sure if you were talking about something similar.
Would also appreciate if you could suggest some ICE setup comprising of amp, 1 three way and 1 two way components speakers (or 2 two way).
Old 29th January 2010, 10:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ harpreet

@ Invincible
If you planning to stick to your stock HU, firstly I say invest in a sound processor like RF 360.2 or ALIPNE PXA-H701. These processors can do lot more than just EQ, adding TA, auto EQ per channel, going active, many more, improves the Sound quality. Get a comp for around 200-300$ for front and may be coax or 2way comp for around 200$ or less for your rear doors. You can look at Morel tempo, Alpine, DLS, JBL power series, Hertz. You could add a 4 channel amp for this comp from either Alpine, JBl, infinity kappa, some which you can locally source them. Sub and mono combo can be added for additional low end freq. Get the Install done from a good reputed place as more than the equipment its the installation that eqaully matters the most.
Some of the comps and amps you should be able to source them locally. See where you get the best deal from US or locally.
Old 29th January 2010, 23:08   #12
BHPian

@ invincible.
Can you please suggest some good car accessories shop where I can get good rates and have experienced technician in Mumbai western suburbs.
Old 30th January 2010, 00:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ invincible.
Can you please suggest some good car accessories shop where I can get good rates and have experienced technician in Mumbai western suburbs.
You can contact B&T or Ramie, both are members here, I am sure their expertise will be helpful.
Old 30th January 2010, 11:16   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Rockford fosgate has a very good EQ called the 3sixty.
1. RF has 2 units the 360.1 and 360.2 the 360.1 is an EQ the 360.2 is an EQ but also has TA and DSP.

2. If you are looking at the 360.1 I'd also consider the Audiocontrol EQs they are cleaner.

3. If you are considering the 360.2 I'd also consider the Alpine 650 as it is cleaner but the 360.2 is a bit more flexible.
Old 31st January 2010, 09:37   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
1. RF has 2 units the 360.1 and 360.2 the 360.1 is an EQ the 360.2 is an EQ but also has TA and DSP.

2. If you are looking at the 360.1 I'd also consider the Audiocontrol EQs they are cleaner.

3. If you are considering the 360.2 I'd also consider the Alpine 650 as it is cleaner but the 360.2 is a bit more flexible.
1. What do you mean by cleaner?
2. How much would the 3sixty.2 cost in India?
3. Whats the difference between the ALIPNE PXA-H701 and the 650.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks