Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2012, 15:46   #16
BHPian

Re: Stock Steering Wheel with Audio Controls Connected to After Market Headunit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xydon View Post
I was too wondering if I could swap my Swift VXI steering wheel with that of Swift ZXI. I somehow can't follow the difficulty in it. I own a 2012 model. I still repent for not going for a ZXI .

What all do we need to change, isn't it just the steering wheel? I already have a HU that supports the wiring.
Xydon.
Hi Xydon, In the Swift Z variants, the steering also contains a Airbag unit. It would be good to go to a A.S.S. (A Service Master if possible) and check in their manuals and ordering systems if you can get only a Panel/ Partial Wheel with Airbag Cover, but no Airbag/ Entire Wheel Set. If you find it difficult to get this info, do ping me, I can talk to a few dealers and we can figure this out.

If you are going for this setup, it would again be prudent to get the wiring harness from the A.S.S. of the matching SKU/partcode as normal Swift Z's would have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi.kedlaya View Post
Xydon,

Lastly, there is an after market solution to this that I can think of. The Parrot MKI 9100 or 9200 will do just fine. It will add, USB, iPod, Bluetooth Phone control functionality to your existing HU (provided it's compatible) and will give you a steering mounted pod to control everything. However, it's on the expensive side (~ 170 USD) and it doesn't retail in India.
Abhi
I have seen similar devices here, they fit on the internal groove of the steering wheel. Check out Pioneer CD-SR100 and such units as well, may save you a lot of trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Hi, Great to know that you have already done it. Could you tell where to find this PAC thing, how much does it cost and is it as simple as it sounds to install this. Can any accessory shop handle this without issues?
Yes, these are easily available as well. Most dealers with a good turnover/ accessories practice should be able to source one for you. It works as a translator between the command signal output from the stock steering controls and translates it to the relevant input signal needed by the Head Unit. This also means that when you choose a PAC/ Connector Device, it should be compatible with your existing head unit, and quite likely there are different devices for different brands, as well as some models being simply incompatible for such devices.
These will cost 1400+ INR for a Chinese one that I saw some time back for the Old Swift Z's head unit.
latentpotential is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 22:27   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Stock Steering Wheel with Audio Controls Connected to After Market Headunit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xydon View Post
Hi Guys,

I was too wondering if I could swap my Swift VXI steering wheel with that of Swift ZXI. I somehow can't follow the difficulty in it. I own a 2012 model. I still repent for not going for a ZXI

What all do we need to change, isn't it just the steering wheel? I already have a HU that supports the wiring.
The steering mounted controls unit costs around 2k just for the module. Apart from this, you will need wiring harness, which might not be available. The reason is the ZXi has a wiring harness that includes Airbag wiring and hence, this could turn out to be an expensive affair.
Old 31st October 2012, 08:30   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Apart from this, you will need wiring harness, which might not be available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
Hi Xydon, In the Swift Z variants, the steering also contains a Airbag unit. It would be good to go to a A.S.S. (A Service Master if possible) and check in their manuals and ordering systems if you can get only a Panel/ Partial Wheel with Airbag Cover, but no Airbag/ Entire Wheel Set. If you find it difficult to get this info, do ping me, I can talk to a few dealers and we can figure this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi.kedlaya View Post
Xydon,

However, it's on the expensive side (~ 170 USD) and it doesn't retail in India.

Let us know what you decide.

Cheers!
Abhi
Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for your quick responses.

I'm not into the after market kits that latch on to the steering. I feel I shall either get the steering (+ wiring) with the controls, if feasible or just live with the current one.

As suggested by most of you, I shall contact A.S.S and see if they can help.

I'm a big fan of the touch screen HUs. I feel they are classy . Only a week ago, I bought a 7" Touch screen HU from Amazon. Yipee!

latentpotential,

If what you say is possible, then I guess I'm all set. I will be back in India by November last or December first week. I shall get in touch once I'm there. Thanks so much.

BR
Xydon
Old 8th November 2012, 15:14   #19
BHPian

I am also contemplating for steering wheel change for my Indica Vista Aura 2009 model. I want to change to steering wheels with audio controls of new Vista/Manza. The reasons I want to change because
1) Stock steering looks really bare bone, new steering looks attractive and uplifts cabin uber factor.

2) As new steering will have audio controls in it, will try to integrate those controls with aftermarket head unit.

I tried to search online for proximate price of steering wheel but no success. Does anybody know how much it will cost? And Will it fit directly with my old vista? I think it should fit.

Thanks,
Sushant
Old 8th November 2012, 16:19   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
I am also contemplating for steering wheel change for my Indica Vista Aura 2009 model. I want to change to steering wheels with audio controls of new Vista/Manza. The reasons I want to change because
1) Stock steering looks really bare bone, new steering looks attractive and uplifts cabin uber factor.

2) As new steering will have audio controls in it, will try to integrate those controls with aftermarket head unit.

I tried to search online for proximate price of steering wheel but no success. Does anybody know how much it will cost? And Will it fit directly with my old vista? I think it should fit.

Thanks,
Sushant
You should visit your nearest service center, and go through the service/ repair manuals and understand if the parts are compatible and can be interchanged as yours may be a different model. Based on the parts you choose to replace, dealer will inform you of the cost of parts.
Old 8th November 2012, 18:24   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post

Thanks,
Sushant

I am also planning to do something similar with my Grande. Since it borrows its steering from the Indica Vista, I am assuming the steering with audio controls will fit.

On Vista's website, I see that the LX/GLX variant offers steering audio controls and no airbag. This particular steering is the one we should look for.

Gurus,
Vista's stock HU is Blaupunkt and I have a Pioneer 8250BT, so which harness am I looking at? Since global websites don't even mention Tata in the list of manufacturers, it will be a little difficult to source the PAC wiring harness.

Last edited by ashutoshb : 8th November 2012 at 18:27. Reason: typo
Old 8th November 2012, 18:44   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
I am also planning to do something similar with my Grande. Since it borrows its steering from the Indica Vista, I am assuming the steering with audio controls will fit.

On Vista's website, I see that the LX/GLX variant offers steering audio controls and no airbag. This particular steering is the one we should look for.

Gurus,
Vista's stock HU is Blaupunkt and I have a Pioneer 8250BT, so which harness am I looking at? Since global websites don't even mention Tata in the list of manufacturers, it will be a little difficult to source the PAC wiring harness.

My Vista has clarion head unit which does not have any provision to connect to steering mounted controls. First I will get steering and then if I can find Head Unit and PAC convertor then I will replace that as well.

If nothing is gona work then I will use steering buttons in my own way with little fabrication and R&D. Like integrating bluetooth keyboard or head unit remote inside steering and assigning some buttons to steering buttons and then controlling things. I know this sounds like lot more jugad. But I am confident I will not into this situation with good head unit.

I will try to get quotations on this weekend. I think steering should cost around Rs.2500 but I am not sure.

Last edited by sushantr5 : 8th November 2012 at 18:46.
Old 8th November 2012, 20:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

All the best! Do keep this thread updated
Old 8th January 2013, 20:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

Finally posting in the corect thread, after scanning through a lot of pages on the forum.

I plan to buy a I20 Magna, but without the OEM HU. Then plan to change the steering wheel to the one in sportz variant, which doesnt have airbags, but has steering mounted controls and then get the HU from after market shops. Will this work? What are the approximate costs and risks involved in this?
Old 16th April 2013, 15:02   #25
BHPian

Hi All,

How much does the steering control interface cost ?

Regards
Old 16th April 2013, 19:56   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive2Drive View Post
Hi All,

How much does the steering control interface cost ?

Regards
which car buddy? these will vary by vendor
Old 16th April 2013, 20:07   #27
BHPian

Its an hyundai i20 sportZ
Old 20th April 2013, 13:15   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive2Drive View Post
Its an hyundai i20 sportZ
could have helped you with Maruti, no contacts at Hyundai dealers.
Old 30th April 2013, 17:02   #29
BHPian

I have upgraded my Brio SMT's ICE with a Pioneer head unit, infinity kappa 6x9, infinity primus 6.5 with a jbl gto 19t tweeters with the infinity x-over. The rear door speakers remain the same and the result is better than what i had before.

The first thing i am missing is the steering wheel mounted remote control that came with the stock head unit. Is there any way i can pair the Honda's factory fitted steering wheel remote control with the new Pioneer Headunit.

Anybody knows if the following would work fine?

http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/25...C-HW/page.html

http://www.amazon.com/PAC-WRI-P-Wire.../dp/B0035UV0RE
Old 30th April 2013, 19:02   #30
BHPian

check connect2 kit, it should work for your requirement.

I was able to use it with my Swift mated with Pioneer HU.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks