Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2010, 20:24   #31
BHPian

maglev, Nice Finishing Touches,

Jaan Daal Ditti aapney Gaddi vich.

I might try this in Santro but stuck with carputer in my Head.
Old 4th March 2010, 21:21   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
good effort, but the finish not very good, in fact its looking sour to eyes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
That's what I call a real jugaad, maglev. You certainly saved a lot of bucks from that HU transplant in the Ritz. Though the finish is not up to the mark, kudos for the innovative idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Nice Transplant, certainly it would be too early to say that it needs finishing touches.
You can try it. If all Fails, try the Black color number plate Adhesive Tape to cover the edges.

Also why Nippon speakers, they don't appear to be of some worth with your Nice HU.

can anyone quote how much such a OEM HU would cost if one sells it off ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Fantastic work. Me likes. Of course not looking immaculate - but it saves a lot of $$$ :-)

PS: If thieves read this thread - we will start seeing alot of SX4 OEM HUs now being stolen and resold - Pandora waala kaam kar ditta ... jk!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameern.85 View Post
Nice transplant...Agree with most of the mates.. not clean enough.

Nevertheless, good effort.
Cheers..!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayaati View Post
Dash is looking amazing with the HU , though the finish needs to be taken care of...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Get a tube of Black Silicone Sealant... (rs 100 for 100 grams)

And fill it in neatly on all four sides...

It you can do it neatly, It ll look great. The Silicone Sealant is removable with little force.

Thanks for the support / advice guys. I hope you like the new colour combination!!

The yellow felt marker marks along with the smoothening of the edges, have been done.

The OE SX4 unit was fetching only around Rs 2000-3000/- in exchange for a new one. It was this fact which prompted me to go ahead with the delicate surgery.

The OE unit is made by Nippon Audiotronix. A Brand New one from Maruti costs around Rs 15,000/-

I went in for the Nippon Speakers as they were the same ones which Maruti gives as OE.

The whole setup sounds exactly like any OE Maruti setup, since both the HU and speakers are OE Maruti.

I am glad with the way it has turned out as it was something which was never done before, it was a DIY and in a world with scarce resources I was able to reuse something which would have otherwise been redundant and this is what actually bought a smile on my face.
Old 4th March 2010, 21:37   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
That's a neat job Maglev. BTW what make is the OE HU of the SX4?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sathee46 View Post
Looks great and blends well into the dash. The stock unit is a nippon I think
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
Now it looks perfect.
I guess, its worth spending time on getting SX4 HU in this shape for Ritz.
CONGRATS . Cheers
Thanks Guys!! yes the OE SX4 HU is made by Nippon Audiotronix indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Agreed it may not be a nice HU. What Maglev has done is made an useless item pretty useful. I think he deserves some praise for that. He's is also justified in not wasting his hard earned money. If you are going to spend a huge amount on the ICE for the Ritz, it defeats the purpose of buying a cheap car.
That is Exactly what I had intended to do. Thanks for explaining it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhegde View Post
@ Maglev: The final result is very nice and the HU gels well with the silver color, Nice effort . SX4 head unit does a decent job (sound).
@ tsk13: .
Thanks Bro!! The entire setup sounds exactly like any OE Maruti ICE system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
Verra nice indeed. Now, is it possible to get the steering wheel audio controls fitted on to the Ritz Lxi?
Thanks Bro!! For the steering wheel controls, yes it can be done but one has to replace the steering wheel with a new one that has the controls on it. But I shall not be going in for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
maglev, Nice Finishing Touches,

Jaan Daal Ditti aapney Gaddi vich.

I might try this in Santro but stuck with carputer in my Head.
Thanks Bro!! A carputer would any day be a better option, I guess you should go ahead with it.
Old 5th March 2010, 06:25   #34
naughty001

Very nice idea and very nice final execution. I think that a few people who read this in the beginning lacked the imagination to visualise the finished product but it turned out very well in the end and demonstrates what the DIY spirit is all about

Its not only about spending huge amounts of money to just dump in the best products into your vehicle. The idea is to make the best of what you already have and you can keep upgrading as your tastes change ... if you need to. In the meantime as long as the product installed meets up to current requirements and is completed to a level that i see in those final pictures there is absolutely nothing wrong with that so the initial complaints were not justified ... moreso because you had already explained that what was seen there was not the finished article but you had run out of time to complete the job

either way now with all of the misunderstandings out of the way i think it can safely be said ... very well done

Old 5th March 2010, 23:51   #35
Senior - BHPian

But please work upon the minor gaps even if they don't spoil the look. See, if some sealant can play the trick here or some matte black sticker.
Old 7th March 2010, 18:18   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Actually, if done right, the sealant can give excellent finish.

The trick is, to use a little teflon tape !!

Apply the sealant between the gap, smoothen the best you can, and then apply teflon tape over the joint. Then reshape and smoothen over the teflon tape, within a couple of minutes.

After 24 hours, pull out the teflon tape. The sealant doesnt stick to Teflon, and the finish you get is nice and even/smooth.

The sealant which is made for this application is generally pretty dense and doesnt flow much.
A very nice tip there . Thank you.

@Maglev a very nice mod indeed and you did something for teh environment and your wallet (2 birds with one stone) - Discalimer - Killing birds with stones is not cool
Old 8th March 2010, 00:32   #37
BHPian

Great job... looks very neat indeed.

Now that you've proved you're capable, how about squeezing the SX4 engine into the Ritz? Now that would be something!

Last edited by theEnd : 8th March 2010 at 00:34.
Old 8th March 2010, 00:50   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post

Now that you've proved you're capable, how about squeezing the SX4 engine into the Ritz? Now that would be something!
He may even try doing that, I can expect this from him BUT only when he finds a better engine for his SX4.

Maglev, what say?
Old 8th March 2010, 21:04   #39
Senior - BHPian

Why this sacrilege? Why, may I ask, WHY?
Old 8th March 2010, 22:12   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Hey Frank, your Fiesta S came with a similar HU. What have you done with it? Someone will be able to shoehorn it into the Figo.
Old 8th March 2010, 22:13   #41
Senior - BHPian

Mine is lying somewhere in oblivion after the code supplied by Ford didn't work on disconnecting the battery <takes baseball bat and smashes the unit>
Old 8th March 2010, 22:14   #42
BHPian

the outcome is neat and worth the time and money spent. inspired from the silver finish, i also decided to give the same finish to my dash.

please have a look at my thread too

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ltos-dash.html

regards

singh
Old 13th March 2010, 12:09   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughty001 View Post
Very nice idea and very nice final execution. I think that a few people who read this in the beginning lacked the imagination to visualise the finished product but it turned out very well in the end and demonstrates what the DIY spirit is all about

Its not only about spending huge amounts of money to just dump in the best products into your vehicle. The idea is to make the best of what you already have and you can keep upgrading as your tastes change ... if you need to. In the meantime as long as the product installed meets up to current requirements and is completed to a level that i see in those final pictures there is absolutely nothing wrong with that so the initial complaints were not justified ... moreso because you had already explained that what was seen there was not the finished article but you had run out of time to complete the job

either way now with all of the misunderstandings out of the way i think it can safely be said ... very well done
Quote:
Originally Posted by -NUT-case View Post
A very nice tip there . Thank you.

@Maglev a very nice mod indeed and you did something for teh environment and your wallet (2 birds with one stone) - Discalimer - Killing birds with stones is not cool
Thanks guys for understanding my point of view.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
He may even try doing that, I can expect this from him BUT only when he finds a better engine for his SX4.
Maglev, what say?
It seems like an interesting proposition, but I really don't have the skills to pull this one off!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
I did this because:

1. OE SX4 HU would not fetch much in terms of resale.
2. The OE SX4 HU is simple & easy to use (Idiot Proof).
3. Decent sound quality for someone who only needs the radio (Hockey/Cricket Commentry + News).
4. The finish didn't matter that much as I'll save a lot of $$, by re-using this SX4 HU in the Ritz.
5. I had one OE HU with me. So I thought of re-using it.
Old 21st March 2010, 09:16   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
The SX4 OE HU transplant has been given the final finishing touch and a new paintjob. Have a look guys...

The All New finished product...
Neat Job done. Looks coming rite from the Maruti OEM. I really like this idea, you wanted to replace ur SX4 HU and utilized it so well in Ritz.

Great Job
Old 26th March 2010, 22:12   #45
BHPian

Quote:

Nice job at the end. Now regarding the engine transplant, how about trying it with a bigger hacksaw?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks