Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2010, 14:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

@krazydriver, if you have kept the 6x9s (Sony are not the best, but even then) in small boxes in M800, they are unlikely to go low like you expect. Definitely not low the way subwoofers go.

You should try mounting them on a parcel shelf and check the effect. For a quick and dirty temporary arrangement, you could use thick corrugated cardboard sheet cut to size (make sure it covers the whole boot at the seat back level just behind the rear seat, no gaps), just to check if the effect improves (guys, no CCB jokes, please). If you like what you get, you could get a regular parcel shelf made out of MDF or marine ply.

If you really want glass-shaking thump, go for an amp and sub.
Old 10th March 2010, 15:01   #17
BHPian

@ DerAlte: The only reason I went for the xplods, coz initially I was going for the Pioneer 400 watts 6x9, but I was getting more vocals on it than lows.

As per the enclosures, they aren't the usual small ones, they are attached to the sides of the rear with 3 sides enclosed and are up to the height of the rear windows.

as for the amp and the sub, am considering it, the only reason why am not going for the sub is it is going to eat up the boot space - which is very essentially needed for travelling.
Old 10th March 2010, 15:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazydriver84 View Post
@ DerAlte: The only reason I went for the xplods, coz initially I was going for the Pioneer 400 watts 6x9, but I was getting more vocals on it than lows.

As per the enclosures, they aren't the usual small ones, they are attached to the sides of the rear with 3 sides enclosed and are up to the height of the rear windows.

as for the amp and the sub, am considering it, the only reason why am not going for the sub is it is going to eat up the boot space - which is very essentially needed for travelling.

If you want to keep your neighbors awake you have to have a 4 channel amp and a sub, My friend had a 800 during the days movie gupt was released, we used to know he arrived more that 300 meters away, because every time his car arrives we used to hear "meri khaboon mein tu" from the movie gupt. I remember each beat used to punch my heart . This guy had a pio am and a sum with pio 2150 as the speakers, these are so far the best speakers one can get from PIO and there are no speakers to match its performance, even a used one can fetch you 3k in todays market. These are very rare and if you go to karol bagh you will not feel the same way, because these are the single most speakers which have maximum number of fakes in market, i looked for these in 2006 -2007 and could not find any one below 4k so i brought the same sony speakers as yours for 1.7k then. These were comfortably seated in my rear parcel trey of my esteem and used to make a lot of bass, especially for the song let the music play by shamur. I didnt feel the need for an amp then but soon got my self a Pio sum and used PIO amp for 3.5 k, i was all set for the next 2 years until i lost my car in an accident. Now my lancer has the HU and a silicon 4 channel amp from my last instal. rest is all new, I again went for sony 300 watts this time, the reason is same as yours, good low and mid, the highs are also impressive.

So its you who has to decide which speakers you need. Plus when you connect an amp with your speakers the story becomes very different. The setup becomes loud and more bassy.

I dont think your HU has more than one pre out. you might need to use an amp with high level connectors to connect your rear speakers and use the sub out to power the sub. I will PM you about something that is lying around with me, may be useful to you.

Pramod
Old 11th March 2010, 10:51   #19
BHPian

Thanks Pramod. I already replied to your PM.
Honestly am not interested to go for a sub right now. Do you think an amp will help me get the better out of the xplods?
Also can you guys recommend me a place in gurgaon/delhi where I can get the wiring of the ICE verified?
Old 11th March 2010, 14:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

Just give the plank experiment a try. Maybe you will find it different.

An amp definitely helps. But, if the 6x9 is not capable by itself, you will land up increasing the bass flowing to it and that will upset the proportionality in the music.

When you are ready for a sub, you could perhaps try a Polk 8" pre-built sub box. This is small enough to go below the driver or passenger seat. That will save you precious boot space.

Last edited by DerAlte : 11th March 2010 at 14:44.
Old 11th March 2010, 14:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazydriver84 View Post
Thanks Pramod. I already replied to your PM.
Honestly am not interested to go for a sub right now. Do you think an amp will help me get the better out of the xplods?
Also can you guys recommend me a place in gurgaon/delhi where I can get the wiring of the ICE verified?
Amp will make your setup loud and will bring out each frequency. I will give you an example in lay mans terms. I have to crank up my system above 25 to hear the jar from the speakers at 26-27 the entire car starts singing along.

With an Amp the Max i can go upto is 19-20, depends upon the gains as well, but here they were low as the speakers were over powering the subs. At 19 the setup is very loud, without a sub you dont get a very deep bass but the thuds are well felt, since your car is a hatch the best option is what you have done, installing a plank will make the setup go loud a bit but the mids will overpower the lows. You needs proper tuning. Try getting a long box with 2 speaker and a 10" sub provision when ever you plan a sub.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 11th March 2010 at 14:49.
Old 11th March 2010, 16:57   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Just give the plank experiment a try. Maybe you will find it different.

An amp definitely helps. But, if the 6x9 is not capable by itself, you will land up increasing the bass flowing to it and that will upset the proportionality in the music.

When you are ready for a sub, you could perhaps try a Polk 8" pre-built sub box. This is small enough to go below the driver or passenger seat. That will save you precious boot space.
Will give the plank experiment a try next weekend since this weekend am a bit tied up.

I think plonking the 8" sub under the passenger seat will be more interesting than having it under mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Amp will make your setup loud and will bring out each frequency. I will give you an example in lay mans terms. I have to crank up my system above 25 to hear the jar from the speakers at 26-27 the entire car starts singing along.

With an Amp the Max i can go upto is 19-20, depends upon the gains as well, but here they were low as the speakers were over powering the subs. At 19 the setup is very loud, without a sub you dont get a very deep bass but the thuds are well felt, since your car is a hatch the best option is what you have done, installing a plank will make the setup go loud a bit but the mids will overpower the lows. You needs proper tuning. Try getting a long box with 2 speaker and a 10" sub provision when ever you plan a sub.

Pramod
I agree with you, right now i have to keep the volume at 25 with FIE at 250Hz. Thus keeping the lows in the rears and the mids and highs on the fronts.

Am definitely gonna try the plank exp and also sourcing an amp preety soon to complete my setup Have already spoken to a concerned person about the amps. God bless that person.

I hope I am just able to tune the speakers properly after the amps are received.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks