Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2010, 17:25   #31
Senior - BHPian

After listening to arjunrudra's ICE a couple of weeks back, I decided to get 948s as well. They have replaced the stock rear speakers in my Fiesta and they sound awesome even while being driven only from the stock HU. These speakers are absolute VFM. Highly recommended.
Old 31st May 2010, 14:17   #32
Senior - BHPian

Question for Sam Kapasi

I had an interesting experience while buying the 948 yesterday. I first went to a place called Sonu on GP road where arjunrudra got his speakers. The guy was selling them for 3750, but the serial number on the box and speakers did not match, so I guess it was a grey import. The dealer offered to get another pair where the numbers match and tried convincing me that he was selling the officially imported stuff for 3750 but I wasn't comfortable with that place. Besides it was way too hot so I left.

Next stop was at Jeewajee at Anna Nagar. This guy deals only with officially imported stuff so his final quote was 5100 though I used the 3750 quote as a bargaining tool. I had mentioned earlier that I was a TBHP member and then he throws a googly at me. He says I can check with Sam Kapasi whether the speakers imported by Sahil are available for 3750 in Chennai. If they are, he has offered to eat his hat and refund the balance amount.

I am hoping Sam can clarify.

Last edited by Gilead : 31st May 2010 at 14:19.
Old 4th August 2010, 22:01   #33
Senior - BHPian

So ultimately how much does these 948 cost with b/w?

The frequency response range for 948 starts from 47hz while 947 starts from 50hz so thats the reason for some of the people pointing out that bass is tad deeper for the newer 948.

Last edited by motomaverick : 4th August 2010 at 22:04.
Old 5th August 2010, 15:27   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
So ultimately how much does these 948 cost with b/w?

The frequency response range for 948 starts from 47hz while 947 starts from 50hz so thats the reason for some of the people pointing out that bass is tad deeper for the newer 948.
They cost me 5K. But I guess I made a mistake because my HU is not putting out enough power to drive them properly. I will be amplifying the input at some point in the not too distant future. Focal Access would have been the better choice if driven off the HU.
Old 5th August 2010, 16:04   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
I am planning to get these speakers and would love the audio gurus to comment on the same .
Impedance2 Ohms
I also bagged a pair of these a couple months back. Sounds sweet and also the low end bass is nice. One doubt I always had was about the impedance. Even though JBL site mentions it as 2 Ohms, the package says 4 Ohms. Or is it like they're having two versions of the same model?
Old 7th August 2010, 00:16   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
They cost me 5K. But I guess I made a mistake because my HU is not putting out enough power to drive them properly. I will be amplifying the input at some point in the not too distant future. Focal Access would have been the better choice if driven off the HU.
Well not sure about the output coz spoke to one car accessories guys here in bangalore and they said these 948's can be played from the HU, price quoted was 4300/- . Where can we find focal products? are the focal access of the same cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
I also bagged a pair of these a couple months back. Sounds sweet and also the low end bass is nice. One doubt I always had was about the impedance. Even though JBL site mentions it as 2 Ohms, the package says 4 Ohms. Or is it like they're having two versions of the same model?
Not sure about diff packages but the site does mention 2 Ohms. Btw hows the setup run, is it through HU?
Old 7th August 2010, 23:02   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well not sure about the output coz spoke to one car accessories guys here in bangalore and they said these 948's can be played from the HU, price quoted was 4300/- . Where can we find focal products? are the focal access of the same cost?
They can be played via the HU alright, but not even to half of their potential. Only an amp brings out the best in them. Trust me on this.

Focal should be freely available in Bangalore. Check with some of the installers listed in the Bangalore directory.They are very good SQ speakers and a step above the 948. Should cost 6-7K.

My real upgrade started today. Bought a Focal Solid4 amp.
Old 8th August 2010, 00:00   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They can be played via the HU alright, but not even to half of their potential. Only an amp brings out the best in them. Trust me on this.

Focal should be freely available in Bangalore. Check with some of the installers listed in the Bangalore directory.They are very good SQ speakers and a step above the 948. Should cost 6-7K.

My real upgrade started today. Bought a Focal Solid4 amp.
Yeah i relaized the imp of an amp so going for a 4ch amp along with the 948, i use 2 other channels for the front compos that are already there. so i guess i will be jbl'fying my car tmw
Old 8th August 2010, 01:07   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

so true, my polo has 0948s (400W) directly payed through the pioneer headunit and then I have 0938s (300W) on my cedia powered through a JBL amp, and the 0948s doesnt even play 30-35% of what the 0938s play on amp. An amp is must for these speakers IMO. In between I got the 0948s for 5.3k with bill.

OT: Hows the fiesta doing Gilead?

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 8th August 2010 at 01:09.
Old 9th August 2010, 09:01   #40
Senior - BHPian

Ok thanks for all the product discussion on 948's which i got fixed yesterday along with JBL amp 800w and sound quality has dramatically improved.
Old 9th August 2010, 11:10   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure about diff packages but the site does mention 2 Ohms. Btw hows the setup run, is it through HU?
Yes, I am running it directly on Pioneer 4290. Not much plans for amplifying it soon.
Old 9th August 2010, 22:41   #42
BHPian

that's true that jbl GTO 948 need amp. for better sound. I have this in my car with gto 804 8" sub which power by gto 644 smp. they sound better than any other brands available in market now a days for my test.
Old 11th August 2010, 10:50   #43
Senior - BHPian

I upgraded my ICE and now the 948 is powered by a Kenwood HU. Sounds much better than when it was connected to the OE HU. I am not sending any low bass to the 948. Only mids and highs and they reproduce the sound beautifully.
Old 31st May 2013, 21:50   #44
BANNED

Re: Review on JBL GTO 948 speakers -400w

Hi

I have a question. I have swift lxi with factory stock speakers and Sony XPlod cdx-gt48um.

I use only back speakers (fade out is set to 100% rear). I am planning to replace stock speakers with JBL GTO949. Will that be advisable for significant improvement in sound quality?

Thanks.
Old 31st May 2013, 23:27   #45
BHPian

Re: Review on JBL GTO 948 speakers -400w

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mehra View Post
I use only back speakers (fade out is set to 100% rear).
Any particular reason why you do so?
swarnava.m is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks